Should I retire Red Ferns this year?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Yes
23%
No
54%
I don't care what you do lady
23%

Total votes: 13

Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

So lately I have been running most of my horses at 5 unless they annoy me. However, after Red Ferns won the Steward's Cup at 3 I thought he's an early peaker it makes sense to send him off to make babies at the end of his 4yo year. That being said as his 4yo year is coming to an end I'm waffling. He's still doing fairly well and hasn't raced all that much this year as I've been shipping him all over the world. Also, I already have one newer turf miler stud I'm struggling to support with my dud-filled broodmare band I'm not in a hurry to add a second one to that problem. So I figured I'd post here and see if there were a ton of people hoping to breed to him in which case maybe I should make him available, or if I get a collective yawn and it's better to keep collecting purse money.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Should I retire Red Ferns this year?

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm planning on sending a mare to him whenever you decide to retire him, whether it is this year or next. He's such a nice horse!
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

if I Were you I would keep racing him because he is such a great horse and his sire whom I should know was quite well throughoout his career and also won the sc at 5 and his sire again was also a horse that got better and better with age and besides it helps Old Dan look good as a sire if Red Ferns keep racking in them big wins
But luckily I am not you so please stop running him so my horses stand a fair chance at winning something ( preferably you should retire hm before the sc because sc tires out a horse very much and it won't be able to breed on the same level after that ) sounds convincing right haha
but when it comes down too it this has to be your choice whether to keep running him or not
Good luck whatever you decide though
And I will most surely breed to him when you decide to retire him whenever that might be
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I am almost always a proponent of retiring the horse early (if you won early, you should stop!) but that's just me. That said, I wouldn't retire him unless you have something else in your stable to make up his earning AND fun potential. As in, you get a kick out of racing him, and after the retirement of a big horse there tends to be a lull. So if you have someone else fun that you enjoy, retire and rake in stud fees. But if not, see how far you can go! Just my opinion!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I am definitely leaning towards keeping him around its fun having a horse for the big races. Though I do feel kind of bad for poor Dreamland. First, he has one 3rd place finish and loses his manhood, now the stable star was finally going to retire so he could take his place, and nope another year exiled in Asia.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Why did dreamland lose his manhood after his first loss?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Pete Vella wrote: 6 years ago Why did dreamland lose his manhood after his first loss?
A combination of me being overly geld happy, him not being overly fancily bred, and the fact that he was originally an allowance galloper (at some point along the way he was upgraded to stakes maybe by the gelding). Hindsight probably should have shown some more patience.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

I know I'll have a mare for him in the future!
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee