Looking for an OFFLINE horse racing betting game

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Looking for an OFFLINE horse racing betting game

Post by Ara Davies »

I am looking to find a horse racing betting computer game that is meant to be played offline. I want to play it on my PC, not on an xBox or anything. I have no desire whatsoever to play against other people over the internet, or to have to pay a monthly fee (so don't suggest Horse Racing Fantasy, please). I don't want to own or train a horse or be a jockey; I want it to focus on BETTING. I want a wide range of bets to be available, so if it just has win/place/show it's not really helpful. I also want it to have lots of past performance data.

I guess what I am looking for is a game that is basically like real life but where I can use fake money and do not have to interact with any real people or pay lots of extra money. Surely something like this exists?

If your response is going to be "why don't you just bet on real horses hurrrr" please go away to pick your nose or whatever and do not feel you need to respond. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Franky Dam
Eclipse Champion

Re: Looking for an OFFLINE horse racing betting game

Post by Franky Dam »

I'm pretty sure what you're asking for doesn't exist or is extremely crappy. I still have Hooves of Thunder installed on my PC and it is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for but they only have W/P/S, exacta & trifecta.

Other games you can check out:

Starter's Order's 4 - Don't think they have the betting options you are looking for.

Frankie Dettori Racing - Don't think this was released in the U.S. but I'm sure you can get a copy somewhere.

Horse Racing Manager - Played it, don't remember the betting options
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

This is what I'd recommend.

Graphics are TERRIBLE. Interface is pretty painful. The original QuarterPole was made for MS-DOS... the second in the series, Hooves of Thunder, was for like Windows 3.1... and this version plays similarly to both of them and dowsn't look much better. That said, when you get into it you can play for HOURS. There's lots of betting. It's a betting and horse-management game. No jockeying, no breeding, no petting or grooming or jumping palomino ponies over flowered fences to win the Barbie Cup. In other words, it's awesome. I've been playing the games in the series since like 1997 and I love 'em, in all their pixelated glory.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I'm almost 100% positive that Quarter Pole was based on an even older game called OmniPlay Horse Racing (Sport of Kings in Europe) that was released for MS-DOS, Commodore 64, and Amiga in the 1980s. I played the crap out of that game back in the day omg and I had forgotten all about it thank you for jogging my memory!!

OmniPlay Horse Racing owns all other horse racing video games ever and I am going to play it ALL NIGHT now on my Commodore 64 emulator
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Benny James
Derby Contender

Post by Benny James »

Though I have not played these games...I did do a search for
"horse racing shareware games"

1.odds to win
2.home stretch 3.6

www.sharewareupdate.com

good luck
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

I could never get Quarter Pole to work on our old PC as a kid, but Hooves of Thunder was a godsend. Far and away the most addictive horse racing game I had ever come across, until perhaps I discovered the SIM a couple of months ago.
Franky Dam
Eclipse Champion

Post by Franky Dam »

Quarterpole you can play with a dos emulator. Hooves of Thunder will work on Windows XP although the opening screen is all black and if you never played befoer you'd think it might not be working on your computer but if you click around you can choose new game or load game.

I left off Quarterpole Plus because I felt it was garbage. I thought it ripped off two of the better games and tried to meld it together without really making any improvements. I played the horse racing games mainly for building up my stable to buy and race the young horses and watch them progress though, not for the betting aspect. The sim takes cares of building and racing aspect. So since finding the sim I no longer play any of the horse racing games on my PC but still leave them on the computer.
Prince Izheet Madrurz
Two Year Old

Post by Prince Izheet Madrurz »

Anybody have any good spots for hooves of thunder that work? I've found a few and none of them work :(
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I found a downloadable version of Quarter Pole.
Can't get it to work on my comp though. But also didn't try to hard. Below is the link.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/quart ... k#download
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA