Tempest and Kids

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Tempest

Post by Abby Brooks »

Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Congrats on the Distaff win! She earned that one!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I love the fangirling gif. That is epic.

Tempest just may be better than she's ever been this year. She just took the grade one Faith Unwavering by a half length (equaling her greatest win margin ever) over Rowdy Behavior. That was a power-packed field of fillies behind her! Rowdy Behavior was riding a 4-race win streak, all in stakes, and the third-place finisher was the awesome Susie Rydell mare Bedlam, who had won two graded races in a row. Gemsbok, making her second start of the year, was fourth after an excellent season debut behind Torrid Nights, and Alysse Peverell's But Not Today was coming off a sensational victory in the Everything Right Stakes. That may be one of the strongest fields Tempest has ever faced in her career, and I am so proud of my girl! Among dirt route fillies, she ranks second only to Quaffle in active points!
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Tempest is entered in the second-to-last start of her career: the Kentucky Crown Distaff! A tough field is lining up including old rivals Rowdy Behavior and But Not Today, and the up-and-comer Proceed to Party.

And, I just discovered today that there is a grade three stakes named after her! Bill Outsilver's lovely homebred Rekindle the Flame won the second Tempest Stakes! The winner of the inaugural running was Carter Taylor's Fly City. How did it take me two seasons to realize this?

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Tempest may have lost, but her final race before the Steward's Cup was a solid effort. This time, Rowdy Behavior got the better of her, but she is nonetheless heading to the Distaff for her final start.

Also, she has now earned over $2 million!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

After a horrible performance in the Steward's Cup, my girl is officially retired. I will miss running her!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Tempest's first foal is a colt by Sword, named Riven Shield (Rocki asked me if he was named after something in an RPG game [I think?] somewhere, and he's actually named after a book sitting on my shelf). He's a wings, with borderline works, so I'm hoping he gets better with age.

But, in better news, Tempest's little sister Fury in Her Eyes won her debut in typical Tempest-family gutsy fashion!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Well, Riven Shield just hasn't panned out and the poor guy is now a gelding. It's such a shame, because with that pedigree, just imagine what he could have been.

On the other hand, Tempest's second foal, a daughter of Anointed named Can't Take the Sky (some of you know where that line is from, and I've been waiting to use it again for a long time), emulated her mother in her debut, winning by a head with an 89 SF. She was a little faster and had a slightly bigger win margin than Tempest, but the performances were freakishly similar!

And in more Tempest-related news, she has another "very special" filly by fellow two-year-old champ and homebred Through the Ghost, and a weanling filly by another Steward's Cup Juvenile winner You Are I Am.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Tempest and Kids

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'm bored on a slow night at work. What happens when I'm bored? I go looking for old favorite horse threads that I haven't updated in years. This one NEEDS to be updated, because wow, did this family ever take off in the generations following Tempest.

The Little Mare herself was pensioned in Year 49 following 11 foals. She only produced two stakes winners, and I believe there are only three of her daughters still alive, only two not pensioned. One of those two stakes winners was Squall, a daughter of Mint bred by the Steward. She herself has two minor stakes winners, including my own Storm Torn, by Heart of the Storm. That one doesn't want to produce much. I had bred about a million Heart of the Storm fillies by the time I realized that I HATE them as broodmares. Now I'm kind of stuck with them. (One of those Heart of the Storm mares is Tempest's final foal, Can't Cry Pretty, who is a blue hen, though you'd never know it by her record, but I digress.)

The daughter who has carried them all, though, is Stars Will Dance (now the registered name of my real life TB mare, Astra, as well). She represented the first cross of my two Steward's Cup Juvenile champions and won 6 of her 15 races and over half a million, including grabbing two grade ones in the Southern California Oaks and Inglewood Starlet. She retired a blue hen and her very first foal was a freak filly by You Are Not Alone named Sky Will Burn.

Sky Will Burn has been one of the more interesting and frustrating mares to breed, much like her mother and grandmother. When she strikes, though, it's a good one. Her first foal was a Steward-bred by Prince Louder, In My Arms Again, that won $232,500 and a couple of graded stakes for me. Three more foals by Mint, Le Vent Se Leve (on a lease) and Prince Louder followed and failed to be winners before along came this big, plain dark bay filly by St. Nicholas Day.

Day Will Break is one of the best fillies I've ever owned. She won 10 of 16 starts and was only off the board once, in her final start in the Steward's Cup Distaff (my fault, I ran her way too much the last half of the year), earned north of $1.8 million and Champion Three Year Old Filly in Year 56. She's only my second ever Louisville Oaks winner, and also won five other grade one races. She has a yearling late blooming colt by Castles Crumble and is awaiting a date with War Like Me when he retires.

"Day" has two freak half siblings currently, as well. Four-year-old Dave Matthews Band filly Pilgrim Shadow finally matured midway through last season. She has three wins in six starts to date. The yearling colt, Dragon Reborn, is my attempt at helping to preserve the lovely Dragonfly sire line and he and his siblings are FIFTH (!!) generation homebreds. So far, so good, at least. I truly hope he is a nice racehorse and a good sire. He is the first exceptional looking colt that I've gotten from this family.

Sky Will Burn's Steward-bred full sister In My Arms Again was also a graded stakes winner for me. And I managed to breed her to St. Nicholas Day in the same year as I did Sky, hardly realizing I'd done it. The resulting filly, I Am the Storm, was also an excellent runner for me and incredibly consistent. Initially a freak, she bumped down to stakes after the gallop adjustment. She still won 11 of 17 starts, almost $850,000, and Islands Champion Older Female. I never did manage to get her that grade one win, though. (Lesson to be learned here is that St. Nicholas Day and You Are Not Alone is probably a serious nick. This was also my first hint that After the Disco works exceedingly well with my barn's bloodlines, especially things with Through the Ghost.)

Stars Will Dance now has two more freak daughters: four-year-old After the Disco filly Stars That Fall that is multiple stakes placed (see above nicking theory) and her final foal: 2-for-2 graded stakes winning three-year-old Sky Full of Stars by Follow Your Fate.

For ages, I feared this family would die out on me. Then it suddenly exploded, all in the span of three SIM years or so, and now it is going very, very strong.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Updating because just how cool is this family? The last time I posted here, Sky Full of Stars had just won her second start. Now, she has retired after an absolutely stellar career, winning 11 of 15 including 5 grade ones, $2.8 million and going out on top with a sparkling win the Steward's Cup Distaff. Like Day Will Break before her, she was bred to War Like Me and produced a freak colt who will be getting an awesome name once I finally settle on one.

Day Will Break, herself, got a (appearing very fast) freak filly named Steal the Sun by War Like Me and also has a stakes yearling by Dave Matthews Band. I dreamed of her from the time her parents were two year olds and can't wait for Steal the Sun to hit the track this year.

Probably even more enticing than Steal the Sun is another War Like Me (yea, I keep doing it because it works, and I'll no doubt get bitten later for overbreeding this family to him), Atlas Falls. His dam, Stars That Fall, finished her career winning 6 of her 12 starts and just over $200k. Her greatest strength appears to be as a broodmare, with the above mentioned colt and her yearling late blooming stakes filly by Can't Take the Sky already in the books.

Pilgrim Shadow finished out her own career also with 6 wins in 13 starts and $259k in earnings, getting three graded stakes wins in the process. She is also a promising broodmare, with a very lovely two year old yet to mature by Castles Crumble and some stellar nicks.

Sky Will Burn has now been pensioned, but not before going out with a bang. Her second to last foal was Dragon Reborn, and he has won two out of three graded stakes starts to date and will be hitting the Triple Crown trail this season.

For her last foal, Sky Will Burn had one final trick up her sleeve. I was utterly stunned when Fate of Heaven galloped "claimer" as a yearling. I asked, "How DARE that last filly be a claimer? And by THAT sire?" The joke was on me, though. I noticed a week 9 work over 1 full second faster than her previous works, and what do you know? Suddenly that "claimer" became a freak, and still with room to improve.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My best girl passed today 😢 I am sad over a horse that isn't even real. Send help.