Tempest and Kids

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Tempest and Kids

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I haven't posted one of these in a long time, but this little girl deserves it!

North American Champion Two Year Old Filly
15.1hh dkb. f. Vortex - Startling Gaze, by Same
15 Starts; 9 Win, 1 Place, 1 Show
$2,022,500

WON

Steward's Cup Juvenile Fillies - G1 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Rowdy Behavior, Cantiga, Day of Luxury, Hold Her Tight, etc.) - 80 SF

Faith Unwavering Stakes - G1 (1 1/8m, D, defeating Rowdy Behavior, Bedlam, Gemsbok, But Not Today, etc.) - 87 SF

Loki Reflection Stakes - G1 (1 1/8m, D, defeating Gonturan, Enchantedtikiroom, etc.) - 82 SF

Baltimore Distaff - G2 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Enchantedtikiroom, Saratoga Summer, etc.) - 83 SF

Valentine Handicap - G2 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Vanilla, Sierra, etc.) - 80 SF

Pennsylvania Oaks - G2 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Miss Half Step, Certain, etc.) - 89 SF

Las Californias Stakes - G2 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Forward Rebellion, Vow to Myself, etc.) - 80 SF

Sky Flyer Stakes - G3 (1 1/16m, D, defeating But Not Today, Queen's Last, Angelina Johnson, Dream Castle, etc.) - 89 SF

Maiden Special Weight (1 1/16m, D, defeating Hidden Camera, Track Vixen, Think Legacy, Victory Amen, etc.) - 82 SF

2ND

Kentucky Crown Distaff - G2 (1 1/8m, D, to Rowdy Behavior, defeating But Not Today, etc.) - 80 SF

3RD

Louisville Oaks - G1 (1 1/8m, D, to Torrid Nights, Rowdy Behavior, defeating Hold Her Tight, Cantiga, Timeless, Certain, Forward Rebellion, Spirit, Miss Half Step, etc.) - 84 SF

4TH

Steward's Cup Distaff - G1 (1 1/8m, D, to Pact, Bride, Torrid Nights, defeating Gonturan, White Wolf, Nineteen Blessings, Mischief Managed, Are More Mighty, Fond, etc.) - 82 SF

Long Island Acorn - G1 (1 1/2m, D, to I've Had a Dream, Hold Her Tight, Warn, defeating Just One Kiss, Saphira, Devotee, Miss Half Step)

BIO

Tempest's dam is a homebred out of a two-time winning Saga mare named Tale of Victory. I picked up the mare on the basis of her pedigree, especially her second dam, Breathtaking. The latter produced millionaire and top producer Future Legend, as well as multiple grade one winner Accmplished, grade one winner Magnificent Move, and grade one producer Beautiful Glow. Startling Gaze was the result of breeding Tale of Victory to one of my favorite sires, Same, and was a wings galloper with quick works. I have a bad habit of getting frustrated quickly with things that don't break their maidens, so retired Startling Gaze after five starts with no wins.

A formidable mare, Startling Gaze's first foal by Simmy Award was "hard to tell" as a yearling and not kept long. Her second by Triple Crown was a "wow" colt named Arresting Stare, who was given to a good friend. Unfortunately, he has not panned out as a stakes winner as originally hoped. Startling Gaze's third foal was a very small, dark bay filly by Vortex. I was very surprised when the name "Tempest" was not taken, and thus she was named.

With Arresting Stare's lack of success on the track, despite fast works, hopes were not high for Tempest when she made her debut. She surprised with a gritty wire-to-wire victory with an 82 speed figure. Based on that and her previous fast and improving workout times, I decided to try her in stakes company. Shoot for the moon and all that, you know. She tried the grade three High Flyer Stakes at Futurity Park against a solid field. The track was listed "good" and she didn't get the lead, but again she dug in and refused to lose, winning by a nose with an 89.

I was pretty high on Tempest after that. Despite fully expecting a bounce, I entered her in the Steward's Cup Juvenile Fillies along with her stablemate Zenith. After a bit of an awkward start, Tempest did just what she did in her previous two starts: absolutely refused to be beaten to the wire. She got the lead at the top of the stretch and would not let the fast-closing Rowdy Behavior pass her, giving me my first Steward's Cup win.
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 8 years ago, edited 14 times in total.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Tempest

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'm late in updating this thread, but thank you to everyone who voted for Tempest as North American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly!! :)

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

She's pretty special Erin! Best of luck with her.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thanks, Nick :)

Tempest is entered for her sophomore debut in the Las Californias Stakes! Currently she will be taking on Louisiana Princess and Bay Shore Oaks winner Forward Rebellion and Babe Ruth Stakes winner Vow to Myself as well as two other fillies.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My little gal remained undefeated with a gritty half length win in the Las Californias! Next stop, Louisville!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I have just entered Tempest in the Oaks. Eee!! I am so nervous. There are some seriously nice fillies in there. There are some that have only ever been beaten by Tempest and some that she's never faced...all of them seem to be better this year. Just eek!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Well, Tempest's first career defeat is out of the way. She was a very close, very game third in the Louisville Oaks. Now, my battle-tested filly is going ahead and going for the Long Island Acorn. I don't see why she shouldn't get the distance, and the horse whisperer says she doesn't care about the weather.

If this doesn't go so well, and we end up with another defeat, my gal will probably drop back in class a bit to get a confidence boost before taking on grade one company again.

Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Um, could you run her somewhere else?

Just kidding, best of luck Erin!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

After a rough fourth in the Long Island Oaks, Tempest has gotten back to her winning ways with a gutsy score over Miss Half Step in the Pennsylvania Oaks!

She's going to be trying older fillies in the Loki Reflection Stakes next before a possible run in the Steward's Cup!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

She likes to keep it close, but this time, Tempest took on the excellent older filly Gonturan, winning by a nose in the Loki Reflection for her second career grade one win!

Next stop? Yep, you guessed it: Distaff! If the vet gives the OK, Tempest will be running in her second SC race! If not, well, there is always next year.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Tempest was a gritty fourth in the Steward's Cup, but yet again finished behind her nemesis Torrid Nights by a neck. Those two followed excellent older fillies Pact and Bride across the wire.

Tempest will be returning for her four-year-old season, and likely another shot at the Steward's Cup!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My girl is entered for her first start of the year, the Rampage Handicap, up against recent Los Campeones winner Cantiga. Go Tempest!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Well, that was a bit disappointing.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

We got my lovely girl back in the winner's circle with a gutsy victory in the Valentine Handicap over Vanilla! She seems to really like the two-week schedule so far this year; she's already vetting "dappled and happy" less than a week and a half after her last start. She will be running Friday in Baltimore in the Baltimore Distaff!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My little lady got her eighth career victory (7th in a graded stakes) tonight in the Baltimore Distaff! She and Enchantedtikiroom slugged it out down the stretch, with Tempest prevailing by a nose. What a heart attack she gives me every time she's in a race that gets called in chat!

Fun fact: Tempest has never won a race by more than 1/2 length. Her win margins look like this: nose, neck, neck, 1/2, head, nose, head, nose.

Another fun fact (which I didn't realize until tonight): Tempest is 7-for-7 at 1 1/16 miles, but is also a G1 winner at 1 1/8 miles.