Through the Ghost

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Through the Ghost

Post by Erin Sanderson »

15hh dkb. c. Rambling - High Dreams, by Highly Regarded
Y41 North American Champion Older Male and Y39 North American Champion Two Year Old Male
17 Starts; 9 Win, 6 Place, 0 Show
$5,301,500

WON

Steward's Cup Juvenile - G1 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Proverb, Safe Passage, Ace, Cypher, Statues, Linguistics, etc.) - 91 SF

Long Island Gold Cup - G1 (1 1/4m, D, defeating Tightrope, Legend Returns, Amazingly, etc.) - 87 SF

Arcadia Million - G1 (1 1/4m, D, defeating Proverb, Until the End, Princeton, etc.) - 86 SF

Kentucky Blue Stakes - G1 (1 1/8m, D, defeating Linguistics, You Go On, Destined, Legend Returns, etc.) - 91 SF

El Rival Decade Stakes - G1 (1 1/8m, D, defeating Victory of Life, Professionally, etc.) - 79 SF

Fern Stakes - G2 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Linguistics, Keep Yearning, etc.) - 88 SF

In Excelsis Stakes - G3 (1 1/4m, D, defeating Doomsday, Buzzkill, etc.) - 83 SF

Thriller Stakes - G3 (1 1/16m, D, defeating Michael Jordan, Answer the Call, Spaceman, Fly This Flag, etc.) - 86 SF

Maiden Special Weight (1 1/16m, D, defeating Eddard Stark, So Velocity, Wally Szczerbiak, Two Socks, etc.) - 93 SF

2ND

Steward's Cup Classic - G1 (1 1/4m, D, to Skyfall, defeating Oncoming Storm, Torchwood, Doomsday, Mazer Rackham, Dobra, Ace, Wizard Alley, Tightrope, Raleigh, Statues, Amazingly, Rambling Summer) - 86 SF

Desert World Cup - G1 (1 1/4m, D, to Skyfall, defeating Statues, Tightrope, Doomsday, Dobra, Doctor, Ace, You Go On) - 84 SF

Oceanside Classic - G1 (1 1/4m, D, to Doomsday, defeating This Moment, Soar, Eternal Story) - 87 SF

Midsummer Classic - G1 (1 1/4m, D, to Ace, defeating Proverb, Doctor, Coronation, etc.) - 78 SF

Awesome Derby - G1 (1 1/4m, D, to Tightrope, defeating Linguistics, Hydra, etc.) - 89 SF

Hogwarts Stakes - G3 (1 1/8m, D, to Linguistics, defeating Answer the Call, A Stormy Occurance) - 83 SF

BIO

I was going to put this guy's thread up very early on in his career, but decided not to jinx him. Now, I think it's time!

Through the Ghost is a very special colt in many ways. He is a great grandson of Sway, whose female family has given me such wonderful horses as grade one winner Accused Dreamer and her children: Louisville Oaks winner Fancy Her Kiss, grade one winners The Revenant and Happier, and multiple graded stakes winners The Girl On Fire and Fairy Murmur. The Steward owns and bred Happier and The Girl On Fire (but I got to campaign them :) ), and has bred multiple graded stakes winners from them.

I am continually on the lookout for more fillies from this female family. The quality always eventually comes through, it seems, and "Ghost's" dam was no different. High Dreams is a daughter of Highly Regarded - making her closely related to Fancy Her Kiss - and was not very fast on the track. She won the 1 1/4 mile race I claimed her from for $25,000 with a measly speed figure of 71. Honestly, she may have gone on to do more than that, I'm not sure, but as a three-year-old and still a "wings", I retired her; I had claimed her to breed anyway.

Her very first mating with one of my favorite new studs Rambling produced a little dark bay colt more resembling his phenomenal paternal grandmother Clearly Best than anything in physical appearance. He galloped only "okay", and proceeded to amble through a series of very uninspiring works. Originally named Rambling Thoughts (particularly uninspired, in my opinion), he suddenly "woke up" as a two-year-old midway through the year, and blossomed into a colt that would become a star very quickly. He was renamed after one of my favorite songs, and, ironically, his younger half brother was also already named for a line in the lyrics of said song (that horse has since been renamed, due to his downgrade).

Through the Ghost did things I never dreamed a horse in my barn could do, including twice trying to run down the freak filly Skyfall in the world's biggest races. Before him, I had never had a Desert World Cup or Steward's Cup Classic starter, and had only once run anything in the Louisville Derby. He is easily the highest earner I have ever owned (and bred), and he is already showing signs of being the best sire I've owned (and with Gibraltar around, that is saying something).

Now, Ghost's little sister looks to continue the family name. Amaryllis, an almost Amazonian daughter of Maelstrom (nearly two hands taller than her illustrious "big" brother), made me sigh the first time she galloped: claimer. As a yearling, her works became progressively faster, especially once her equipment was figured out, and I had a glimmer of hope. When the year turned over, I was surprised to find an extra "stakes" galloper in the barn, and it was a then-unnamed half sister to my best horse. She is now named in the same vein as her brother - after the title track of the Shinedown album that also contains the song Through the Ghost. I can't wait until week 10 and her debut!
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 3 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Re: Through the Ghost

Post by Nini Panini »

He is amazing Erin! I'm rooting for him!
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Bill Outsilver
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bill Outsilver »

Congratulations on a great Juvenile win with him, Erin! What a monster he is. My guys are getting tired of chasing him. :) Best of luck on the TCT next year.
Winged Tortoise Stables proudly stands:
Dirt Router Safe Passage, stud fee $20k and dirt miler/dirt router Mohaymen , stud fee $30k
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thanks guys! He still has a lot of obstacles to hurdle (especially one by the name of Coronation), but we'll see how he does!

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Ghost has a gorgeous new headshot! I love my little chunk with his tons of hair!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thank you to everyone who voted Through the Ghost the North American Champion Two-Year-Old Male!! :)

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Hmm, ouch. On to the next start, but if it's another loss, he's out of the Derby.

Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Erin Sanderson wrote:Hmm, ouch. On to the next start, but if it's another loss, he's out of the Derby.

I would't get too down on last night's race. There was the possibility of a slight bounce after his superior effort in the SC, and he only lost by a head to a son of Lore who was waiting for more distance.
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

The little hairy chunk is back with an incredibly gutsy win over Linguistics and You Go On in the Kentucky Blue. Now, for the next two weeks, I will be biting my nails and wondering if he ran too hard for his last prep...

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Oh, the nerves!

Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

I'll be rooting for you guys!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

After losing miserably in the Derby and then again in the Crown, I've decided to skip both the Long Island Classic and Queen's Derby and hopefully get my guy a win, or at least something on the board.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Got back in the winner's circle with an easy victory in the El Rival Decade. He needed that boost!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Off we go to the Midsummer Derby. Will someone run with Doctor early and give my guy and the others a shot, or will it be another runaway win for the Doc?

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

So, after a solid second at the Spa, and a really tight second in the Awesome Derby, Ghost got to winter and be lazy. He came back in a big way at four, winning the Fern Stakes before taking the Arcadia Million over a short but very tough field wire-to-wire! This boy is headed to Dubai.

Keep an eye out; there is a definite possibility he retires after this season. He is now a grade one winner at two, three, and four, from 1 1/16 miles to 1 1/4 miles! He's won from on the lead, stalking, midpack, and well back. He's won basically all over the country, from coast to coast. This little guy is versatile and tough and he's going to make one heckuva stallion!