Cursebreaker

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Cursebreaker

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Cursebreaker
15.1hh blk. f. by Fireproof - With Care, by Sidney
15 Starts: 12 Wins, 2 Place, 1 Show Earnings: $1,946,000

WON at 4

Flower Pot Handicap - G1 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Courting, Sisters of Mercy, etc.)
Cupid's Arrow Stakes - G1 (1 3/16m, T, defeating Kissmeonemoretime, Cariseagle, etc.)
Weezer Stakes - G1 (1 1/2m, T, defeating Ivory, Woman in Hell, etc.)
Escala Cromantica Stakes - G3 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Trusty Heart, Name Day, etc.)

2ND at 4

Caesar Augustus Handicap - G2 (1 1/4m, T, to Obsidian Fury, defeating Lights Down, etc.)

WON at 3

Louisville Bunbury - G1 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Oddly Specific, The Virginian, Wind in the Desert, The Same Path, Navy Ship, Forefront)
Wonder Why Stakes - G1 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Ivory, Summersational, etc.)
Lexington Bunbury - G1 (1 1/8m, T, defeating Proof of Life, Turnthebeataround, etc.)
Northern California Bunburette - G2 (1 1/16m, T, defeating She's a Freaky Girl, White Gold Studs, etc.)

2ND at 3

Irish Oaks - G1 (1 1/2m, T, to Fire to Look At, defeating La Forza, That's a Mambo)

3RD at 3

London Derby - G1 (1 1/2m, T, to Among Ghosts, Spirit Guide)

WON at 2

Magellan Stakes - G1 (1 1/16m, T, defeating Wind in the Desert, Proof of Life, Flight of the Fae, etc.)
Moya to Love Stakes - G3 (1 1/16m, T, defeating Summersational, Iceberg, etc.)
Born Wild Stakes - L (1 1/16m, T, defeating Wind in the Desert, Minior, etc.)

Very possibly the best filly (and one of the best of either gender) I've ever had, Cursebreaker certainly deserves to be here. She earned her name when she galloped "freak" as a yearling because every other mare I've either campaigned for the Steward and then gotten a foal from or leased directly has produced a terrible foal for me. Until this little, black filly.

The moment she was bred, I had high hopes for Cursebreaker, and those only increased when I saw her work times as a yearling and early two year old (among the fastest of her crop). I couldn't help but debut her in stakes company in the Born Wild. She defeated Wind in the Desert, a very expensive daughter of Just Me, dam of earners of over $21 million to date. Then she handily won the Moya to Love Stakes (G3) over another pair of regally bred fillies: then-graded stakes winner Iceberg and later graded winner Summersational.

It wasn't until entries opened for the Steward's Cup that I realized I had completely forgotten to nominate her. There was a bold alternative, however, and that was going up against the boys in the Magellan Stakes (G1) to end the season. I almost chickened out entirely. As it turns out, her stiffest competition came once again from the filly Wind in the Desert, but my girl won by a half length over that one and Proof of Life.

Undefeated three-for-three, the pressure started to build coming into this year to keep her that way. She debuted against a short field of fillies in the Northern California Bunburette (G2) and had no trouble adding her fourth career victory. I didn't hesitate to enter her against the boys again next out in the Lexington Bunbury (G1) with the idea that, should she win and do it well, she would go to Louisville in the Bunbury instead of the Bunburette. Facing Proof of Life (third in the Magellan) again, as well as last out Excaper (G3) winner Turnthebeataround, she again won easily.

As soon as the entries for Louisville opened, I entered her against the boys. Our dear Steward and RRH can both tell you that I had my doubts initially and was wondering if I should scratch and go against a fillies. No filly had ever won the Bunbury in 20 previous editions. I worried if I had done too much with her, going essentially 14-16-2-4 leading up to the race. Wind in the Desert entered, as well, and I wondered if the third time would be the charm for her and she'd finally beat us. The second and third place finishers from last year's Steward's Cup showed up, as well as three other very nice graded stakes winning colts.

All the nerves were for nothing. Cursebreaker took the lead from The Same Path at the third call (I imagine that to be the equivalent of turning for home) and refused to let anyone head her. Oddly Specific and The Virginian came running and finished a neck and a head behind, but my little gal will go down in SIM history as the first filly to take the Louisville Bunbury. I was ecstatic. There were real tears (and I was at work checking results).

After that, what comes next? She's heading to Europe for a couple of races. I could have possibly gone to the International Oaks and a showdown with Fire to Look At in two weeks, but would really like to give her a bit more of a break than that. Depending on how she runs in Europe, she may attempt to duplicate her dam's feat of winning the Arc as a three-year-old filly, though that is pretty far down my list of priorities this season. It's more likely that she will play it safe and stay against girls in older company for this year, with a date in the Steward's Cup Filly & Mare Turf at the top of my list of possibilities for the end of the year. Time and this filly will tell.

(Also, yes, a headshot is coming eventually, once the vet bills for the real horses quit piling up!)
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: Cursebreaker

Post by Darcy McBride »

She is phenomenal, Erin! Congrats on such a lovely little girl!!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Spirit Guide says you should take it easy with her and stay with the girls during her time in Europe ;)
But honestly, wow, what an amazing little filly! Wishing you all the best with her :)
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I'm with Lisa on that one :lol: And yes I also agree she's a pretty insane filly, could be a future SC Turf or Arc winner!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thank you, ladies!

And next race will be in London...not sure if it will be the Oaks or the Derby just yet ;)

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Since last update, my little gal suffered her first two consecutive losses at the hands of the likes of the brilliant Among Ghosts and Fire to Look At. She bounced back in her last start to soundly defeat exceptional fillies in Ivory and Summersational in Toronto's Wonder Why Stakes (G1). I actually remembered to nominate her to the Steward's Cup this year, so she is likely bound for the Filly & Mare Turf.

In the meantime, she also has a stunning new headshot. Thank you to the amazing artist who churned this one out in less than 24 hours!

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

After her worst career performance in the SC, I'm seriously debating retiring and breeding before foals are due (like today). Decisions, decisions.

Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think you should keep racing, she had a very tough season with lots of tough races. She just needs a bit of a break and then I’m sure she’ll be back to her best in no time. Plus the SC really didn’t set up for her when the front 3 ran away from them at the start and didn’t relinquish that lead.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Coming up on the last start of Cursebreaker's career. Prepped all year for the SC Filly & Mare Turf, but we won't be going. Track came up wet and Fire to Look At showed up again, as well as all the others who seem to like the wet turf. Guess we'll be going somewhere else.

Mike Springer
Classic Contender

Post by Mike Springer »

The Arc was wet and she lost. Put Cursebreaker in the SC race and if she wins I will give you a foal from Fire to Look At. Cleo and Carole have beat her and they are both getting a foal. Your horse is awesome and deserves a shot at a Cup.
She also didn't win last year after winning the Arc and the competition is tougher this year. Don't be scared.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Agree with Mike, Cursebreaker deserves the shot! I reckon if anyone is beating Fire to Look At this year, it’s her. And remember that the way the track plays only makes a marginal difference, she could still have the upper hand in all the other marginal aspects.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'd quite like her to go out with a win, though, or at least a great shot at over $2 million in earnings. Think my odds are better in Asia than on a wet track against a full field in Kentucky.

Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Erin Sanderson wrote: 4 years ago I'd quite like her to go out with a win, though, or at least a great shot at over $2 million in earnings. Think my odds are better in Asia than on a wet track against a full field in Kentucky.
Best of Luck with her, Erin! That wet track axed one of my entries in a SC race as well. Rats!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I ended up entering the SC. Fairly certain we'll run up the track, but who knows.

Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Erin Sanderson wrote: 4 years ago I ended up entering the SC. Fairly certain we'll run up the track, but who knows.
YAY!!! I know who I’ll be cheering for! ❤️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt