Prodigal Son

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Prodigal Son

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago Is this horse for sale or lent?
Good possibility. It's clear I don't have a clue what to do with him.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

=( maybe he just wants to make babies
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago =( maybe he just wants to make babies
You'd think he'd be ready to race, since he went from late bloomer at 2 and 3, to peak at 4, but guess his peak just isn't that fast compared to everything else. Don't know that anyone would be interested in him as a stallion at this point. Heck, I wouldn't, I hate flash in the pan horses.

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'd be interested in him, either as a runner or a sire. These open allowances are essentially stakes races, because there aren't a ton of stakes in the division - the two horses that finished ahead of him were also stakes winners that were capable of running 95+ SFs. If the goal was a confidence boost, I would have put him in a barrier trial instead of an open allowance.

An example of that is Charpak, who Prodigal Son beat in the Steward's Cup. He came back to win two Grade 1s at three. He came out of a third place finish in last year's Stewards Cup to _lose_ an open allowance in his seasonal debut.

Prodigal Son's prior race was really quite good, given the five week layoff. As some of the others have noted, pacers are a tough division. Even his fourth place effort last year was measured by two necks and a head. I think he's right up there with the best.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago I'd be interested in him, either as a runner or a sire. These open allowances are essentially stakes races, because there aren't a ton of stakes in the division - the two horses that finished ahead of him were also stakes winners that were capable of running 95+ SFs. If the goal was a confidence boost, I would have put him in a barrier trial instead of an open allowance.

An example of that is Charpak, who Prodigal Son beat in the Steward's Cup. He came back to win two Grade 1s at three. He came out of a third place finish in last year's Stewards Cup to _lose_ an open allowance in his seasonal debut.

Prodigal Son's prior race was really quite good, given the five week layoff. As some of the others have noted, pacers are a tough division. Even his fourth place effort last year was measured by two necks and a head. I think he's right up there with the best.
Yea, I'm just too dumb to do a barrier trial first, rather than chuck him in the deep end in his first start back. But what else is new? I've made a career out of horribly mismanaging every good horse I ever get. Fourteen real years, still can't get crap right, starting to think I should throw in the towel since I never seem to learn.

Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

To be fair, when I opened up his page I expected to find a struggling horse. I didn't find one. Though if he were capable of picking up the words you just said about yourself, he just may have been.
Maybe just try taking a deep breath? You know this *. Your knowledge of the game isn't really the problem. You know randomness will kick in, and you know Pacers is a division with very small margins even for the most capable and world record beating horse.
You are being very hard on yourself right now, and you frankly don't deserve the words you are spilling over you.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm going to echo what Ash eloquently said.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Yes Erin, you are being very toxic right now. Not cool.

My man just needs a slump buster and a lucky horse shoe up the ass.
;p
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thank you for the kind words, Ash, Laura. And Andrew, that lucky horse shoe made me laugh :D

Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I meant to post, but it's been hectic lately. Glad to see him get a G1 win!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thanks, Laura! I was definitely relieved.

Also just realized that his world record was broken by .01 seconds by Bye Girl Bye. Congrats to Lou on the new record, but not sorry that Prodigal Son got his revenge, of sorts, in the Masshole Mile ;)

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Good chance this horse might retire this year, instead of racing next year as planned. Stay tuned.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Yea, he's retiring. Hadn't planned on it and bred a ton of my mares early, but oh well. Just another thing I messed up with him, I guess.

Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Prodigal Son has only finished off the board once in his whole career, which is quite the feat. He was only a neck and a head away from winning his last race! He's exceptionally talented, and good horses beat each other up all the time. Not to mention, he won when it mattered in the two richest races he was entered in. Don't be so down on him, or your ability to manage a good horse. I know it's frustrating, but please keep your head up because he's great, and you're great.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Thanks, Nini, but no, he's done after the SC. If I don't chicken out of it and retire beforehand.