Roughian

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Roughian

Post by Stormy Peak »

ROUGHIAN

I've had some excellent horses over the past 14 years I've played this game. Some of my favorites at the time they were racing, were Storm The Blockade, Forgave, Forethought, Forgot, Dark Shadows, Convince Me, and my special guy, Heartborken.
But in all those years, the only one I ever wrote about in this sub-forum, and that was 12 years ago. It was about my first millionaire earner, Won't Back Down. Link to that Post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8860&p=99256#p99256

I talked about my horses in the Racing forum enough that I think that is why I didn't do a thread for them here....but with Roughian...she's really been such an awesome runner I wanted her to have her own post here. : )

A little history about her name
I was a Ruffian fan when she was racing, got to see a few of her races on t.v., and watched the live broadcast of her tragic breakdown in the match race with Derby winner, Foolish Pleasure.

Three or four years ago, I was reading a history book about England, and there was a letter in it written by some aristocrat around the early 1700's. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but he was complaining about the bad elements in London, he wrote: his coach had been approached by roughians, up to no good
I loved that archaic spelling of ruffians, and I wrote to the Steward asking if I could use that archaic spelling, since it still sounded like the name of the famous Ruffian. She gave me the ok, and I reserved the name.

Using the name finally
I rarely name foals, especially with names I really want on stakes or freak. In Year 51, I bred a filly, and liked her pedigree so much I decided to use the name on her. I figured if she didn't gallop at least a stakes, I could rename her and reserve the name again, or if I got one...put it on a stakes or freak yearling from that same crop. Roughian galloped as a stakes and she kept the name - she upgraded to a freak after she hit the track.

I really wanted the horse who got that name to do justice to that beautiful brave mare who impressed me so much when I was a teen. Roughian didn't let me down. : )

Roughian probably could have had a much better race record if I had just kept her racing against other fillies. But, I decided to take some chances and pitted her against the males. She failed to win a number of times, but sometimes she won, and in very high purse races. Her 2nd place in Arc, amounted to more money than winning some of the Grade 1 races for fillies.
I am as proud of her 2nd in the Arc as I am with her Pegasus win.

She's been a fun, exciting, courageous, mare, and she now has a chance to break a long standing Sim record.

******EDIT******

The 2nd part of this post, I transferred to the Racing Forum, under the title "My New Goal For Roughian" as it will be discussing her current activity/racing schedule, race results and any progress made on trying to achieve a goal of $10 Million in earnings before she retires.

Link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49722

This thread I will hopefully be able add to after she retires in some near future. I hope she will be a blue hen mare and produce some great foals. It will be fun for me at that point in researching stallions for her and seeing what quality of foals she'll produce. My greatest fear is she might be as bad as a broodmare as she is great as a racer. :P

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Re: Roughian

Post by Dan Kauffman »

I hadn't even thought about the all-time mare race earnings mark. Definitely a worthy goal to shoot for! Good luck. She's a beast and a beaut.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Best of Luck with her, Stormy. Would be great to see her break $10 million!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I still have the rest of this season to race her but I'm already getting excited about breeding her..and hoping she will be a blue hen mare. I will be crushed if she's anything less than a formidable.

I have been plugging her name into various hypo mates to look at pedigree lines with mixed feelings...hating the idea of having to retire her, as I love racing more than breeding, but also day dreaming about her having some super babies lol. Would love to see her foal some mulit-millionaires and keep that Foremost line going strong into another generation.

I am really interested in pairing her to With Drama.
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1056534

The great mare, Shahir'ra would be on both top and bottom, along with Itoko, and Roughian's 'Foremost line' on the very bottom. Plus the two great stallions Sidney and Andre are in the mix.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

There would also be two crosses to "Hot Monkey Love" to clinch it.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Glenn Larson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Glenn Larson »

I whispered "Roughian" in With Drama's ear. He was very much interested!!
Glenn Larson
Stallion Rosters

Thoroughbred Stallions

Mixer Stallions
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Glenn Larson wrote: 3 years ago I whispered "Roughian" in With Drama's ear. He was very much interested!!
Glad he's interested and not filled with terror...lol...her headshot makes her look like someone you don't want to mess with. 8-)

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I just bred Roughian and Mal's dam, Fortitude to the sire Nightmarch.

Mal now has a full sister : )

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1333666&

AND...Best of all, 16 year old Fortitude survived :D

-----------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I put a post up in headshots about this, but here I thought I would expand a bit more upon Roughian's dam.
Fortitude was finally pensioned this year after foaling her last foal at age 17 !!! : D
I bought her a headshot, since she's foaled some great runners and hopefully those few still not running yet will end up really good too.

FORTITUDE

Fortitude was a stakes quality racer and a blue hen broodmare, and had a total of 13 foals in her lifetime.

Freaks
Roughian one of the top notch mares ever in the Sim.
Malcontent Yearling, and full sister to Mal

She foaled these 4 stakes runners:
Get Off My Cloud now a Formidable type broodmare
Mal 5 time G1 winner, over $5.5 million in earnings, now a stallion
Outlawed 3 year old filly, full to Roughian, still racing
Fire On High 2 year old filly, not yet raced

??? Unknown quality???
Her last foal: un-named filly...another full sister to Mal I am, of course, hoping she will be a stakes or a freak.

Fortitude also foaled a few allowance quality horses, and some look like they might be decent broodmares.
Willfulness now a Formidable broodmare
Forbidden now a Star broodmare
Forebore was a useful gelding : )

Her only productive type foal.
Inner Strength became a Formidable broodmare

Her 2 claimers she foaled
So Predictable she became a Good broodmare
Emergency Flair she became a Potential broodmare

I might have some fun with Roughian in this, her last year on the track. She has a full sister, the 3 year old, Outlawed, is also still racing - Maybe they will meet up in a race before all is said and done. : )
I'm sure Outlawed would like to take a crack at her old(er) sister. : )

I know I could have made Fortitude her own post in the Favorite's Forum, but in talking about Roughian's full and 1/2 siblings, I thought I would just keep it all in the family and talk about her dam here in this thread.

I love Fortitude's headshot. As I said in the Headshot's thread... I love that deep rich shade of chestnut and her stately look, which is befitting of a mare who did well on the track, although not exactly tearing it up...but who instead advanced through the years, producing one nice foal after another, until finally getting pensioned at age 17.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well.... it finally happened... Roughian has retired - and I don't know whether to be happy or sad about that. : P

I am, however, very happy to report that she is a Blue Hen type mare : ) And, at age 7, is now a mommy.

I've been almost holding my breath all year, hoping Nightmarch wouldn't get pensioned as he's been my first choice for Roughian for some time. He's sired some really nice foals from my Foremost mares and I am crossing my fingers that I get a freak from pairing him with Roughian.

That pedigree line of mine is way more inclined to produce great fillies rather than colts...so I was ever so close to hitting 'filly' But Nightmarch seems to produce really nice male runners....my guy Mal, being one of them. So...I hit the 'colt' button instead.

un-named colt

Nightmarch has 5 millionaires...of which 2 of them, Mal and Foretold are both owned by me and both are from that Formost family of mares. Foretold, btw, is also a Blue Hen and her first 2 foals are freaks...the 3rd foal won't be a yearling until next year...hope she makes it 3 of 3 :D

If this colt by Nightmarch and Roughian ends up a freak, I already have a name in reserve for him.
He will be named after one of the greatest assassins in movie history..John Wick.

I think it's will be a good name for a freaky colt who's dam was a roughian, and who's brother by the same sire is mal.

Can't wait for the gallops next season!

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Good luck for her broodmare career! She had a very fun and gritty career and will be remembered for a very long time!
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

you've got me tempted to draw her and her new baby colt lol
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $25,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Moonlight Sonata - TR - $15,000
STEWARD APPROVED ULTRA DISCOUNT STAKES PRODUCER
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ren Marston wrote: 2 years ago you've got me tempted to draw her and her new baby colt lol
Who ever told you to resist temptations...was wrong. : ) ;)

Stormy : )

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Roughian's first foal, a colt by Nightmarch.

He galloped a Stakes Progressive. : ) [hoping he will progress into a freak :P )
Is Sound!!! Yay...he didn't take after Roughian in the 'somewhat unsound' quality.
However, he LOVES DRY....was hoping for 'No Preference' but I prefer a Loves Dry over a Loves Mud any day.

Un-Named Colt --NIghtmarch x Roughian

I was very happy to see that Nighmarch made into this season... so I sent Roughian back to him to get a filly :D

Un-named Filly -- Nightmarch x Roughian

Nightmarch has done so well with my Foremost line, I know I might be over populating my future breeding stable with him, but I like racing more than breeding, so I'll worry about that later. :P

I was seriously thinking about Improvisational for her next year...but I got a stab to the heart on the gallops.

My Blue Hen mare, Foretold, who is also a 'Foremost' line mare -- her first 2 foals a filly and a colt, are Freaks.
But I bred her to Improvisational last season and her foal, a colt, turned out to be a Solid Progressive! : (

Billy Jack

So now I don't know if I got a bad slide, or if maybe those two lines are not as compatable as I thought they might be...or if maybe that solid will progress into a stake or freak ??? I might have to wait to see what happens next year...if I breed some more Foremost line mares to him, and see how they turn out, and if that solid progressive colt really jumps up or not.

He's a great sire, so yeah, I was really slammed hard when I saw that solid progressive. I've had claimers jump up from progressive and late bloomer status. Foretold actually did it... went from claimer to stakes to freak. But so far, I don't think I've ever seen a solid to it....at least not in my stable. If anyone has had that, let me know, if you would, thanks.

There are a few other stallions I really like too, like Artilaryman, Phenomenal One, With Drama, Moulay Hasson and Wang Yenli to mention a few - so many great choices out there!

-----------------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

In my last post, I had a colt listed...foaled out of Foretold. I had named him Billy Jack. However, I stole that name from him and put it on Roughian's un-named colt.

Foretold's colt was renamed Ad Lib and he's a Productive Progressive type.

Roughian's first foal, the colt, is, as mentioned, now Billy Jack He's a Stakes Progressive, and has some decent workouts for a stakes type horse. : ) Which on the workout times last year for male turf yearling at 5 furlongs, got him in the 23 spot.

I just galloped Roughian's 2nd foal, the filly. And she is also a Stakes Progressive, and still doesn't have a name.

So, it looks like Roughian is turning into a decent broodmare. I do hope, of course, that her offspring will jump up to Freak status before it's all said and done. : )

Now I need to decide who to send her to this year. Both her foals were by Nightmarch and he's pensioned now.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000