Maximus

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Maximus

Post by Nini Panini »

I'm sure most people know the story, but please humor me because I'm going to tell it again.

When I was 10 years old, I moved schools for 5th grade. I was a weird kid who wouldn't shut up about horses and overachieved a little bit, and this was the perfect recipe for nobody to talk to me. The other kids didn't like me, and I dreaded going to school every day. I didn't have any friends. I felt very, very alone and depressed. Tack on some other personal, private issues going on at the time, and it was not a pretty picture.

A few months later, on Christmas, I got a very special gift. My parents gave me an Australian Shepherd puppy. I named him Maximus. He became my best friend. I didn't feel alone. I felt like I finally had someone. He was special, and playful, and happy, and he did not have a single bad bone in his body. He always had his tongue hanging out of his mouth. He really was my soul-dog, there for me every single day so I never felt alone. My mom always said he was an angel. She said the same thing again almost 7 years later when we had to put him down after we discovered he had a body full of cancer less than a week before his 7th birthday. I was a senior in high school. "Angels aren't meant to live on Earth," my mom had said. It didn't help me at the time, but now when I think of her saying that, it makes me smile.

I've had the name Maximus on reserve on the SIM since Year 35, when the real Max was still alive. I was always convinced I'd never use the name, because he was too perfect and that no horse would ever be worthy of it. Year 54, I bred a colt out of a mare I really loved by my own beloved Kingdom Come, and I had a feeling right when I bred him. Still, I waved off that feeling. This couldn't be Maximus. Then, he galloped freak, and I took the plunge. Though he started off his career a little slow, he had an amazing TCT run, culminating in a Long Island Classic win that was the most emotional race of my SIM career.

Sure, some people may think this is pretty dramatic for a dog, but Max was way more than that. He was my best friend, my family, and I still think about him every single day, even 6 years later. Though the real Max is no longer here, having a SIM horse named in his honor makes me feel like a part of him is still alive sometimes. It's a great comfort and reminder what a wonderful friend he was.

The emotions are real for this game, indeed. I look forward to the rest of Maximus' career. He will always be my most special horse to ever come through the barn.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Maximus

Post by The Steward »

Even though I've heard this story before, it's still just <3 <3 <3 <3
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

:heart::heart::heart:
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Jennifer Blake
Classic Contender

Post by Jennifer Blake »

If you’ve never seen the music video for a song called happier by marshmello don’t ever watch it! You would probably 100% cry. ❤️❤️❤️
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Jennifer Blake wrote: 3 years ago If you’ve never seen the music video for a song called happier by marshmello don’t ever watch it! You would probably 100% cry. ❤️❤️❤️
I have seen it, but only once. Cried buckets, hahah.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Tremendous story Nini and a heck of a fine looking dog.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Jennifer Blake wrote: 3 years ago If you’ve never seen the music video for a song called happier by marshmello don’t ever watch it! You would probably 100% cry. ❤️❤️❤️
Every. Time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

He was a special dog, and this is a special horse ❤️
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

❤️❤️❤️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

:shock: In Love there will never be room for the dramatic Word

and Max came into your life, so that you would learn that true LOVE is perfect, and conquers all things

And if Love could be measured, I think it would be because of the great pain that it feels when losing what you love, because love is suffered

And I could assure you that even that pain for the loss of your pet is still present, but it is the sign of how much Love there is in you for Him. :shock:

because LOVE remains forever
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

and if pets are like angels, created to be by your side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfEn5L-v94

I have a story of 2 cats that poisoned me, one of them took 12 days to die, of which I did not see him in 9 days, but the last 4 were too terrible, and I could not do anything for Him, named Ball in English

that he was incredible to talk and answer you

that happened in October of last year, and it was 2 cats that died that way

maybe one day tell the story
Jack Ryder
Turf Router

Post by Jack Ryder »

Congratulations on the 5M.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Thank you everyone for all the kind words about this guy over the years. Everything ends, and though I am sad he could not go out in a blaze of glory, I am selfish to complain about any aspect of his career. He always showed up, always came with a run, never missed the money, was a contender EVERY single time, was the picture of consistency, and he won a Long Island Classic. In what right mind could I be upset about that?

But now his career is over, and that makes me sad. Is it silly to feel empty over the retirement of a fake horse? Perhaps, but it just speaks to how much this game can touch people.

Racing Maximus been the height of my experience on the SIM. He was the most excellent horse I’ve ever run, with the heart of a champion. He was also certainly the emotional centerpiece of my barn, and my attachment to him goes beyond the SIM, as is well established.

Maximus races no longer, but what a run he gave me. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Thought I would compile a little gallery here of all of the pictures Mara has drawn for me featuring Max. Can't overstate how lucky I am that these were all gifts from such an amazing artist! Special thank you to Mara for our friendship, for the art, and for being Max's biggest fan, cheering him on from the very beginning.