Senorita Vera

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Senorita Vera

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Senorita Vera

According to sim records, I joined in Y23. I have no memory of this, but apparently it was break, so most likely, I saw that no racing was happening, assumed the site was broken, and forgot about it (imagine where I'd be now if I had stuck with it?)

Really, I joined at the tail end of Y51, I think it was the end of w13. I was new. I was dumb. Too dumb to grab a mentor and learn to play properly from the start. I read the articles, I bought some cheap horses, including one that had run third in its first race, how amazingly lucky was I to get such a budding sensation for one measly dollar?

(That race was a $500 maiden claimer.)

Anyway, I ran these horses, scraped together life support earnings, learned the ropes (sort of), culled losers, until I had none of my original horses left.

Except one. For some reason, Senorita Vera had stuck around. Flown under my radar, perhaps, since she was making enough money to earn her keep, even if she wasn't winning. At one point, I threw her in a stakes race, just for fun. She ran second! Huzzah! And only a length back from the winner! Sure, it was only a 40k Junior High stakes, the competition was about as weak as my legs after my annual jogging attempt, but it was second place! In a stakes!

She would never run that close to victory again. But when the time came for another cull, I couldn't get rid of her. This little mare was, by all accounts, hot garbage, but she had been with me from the start and she just kept trying and trying. So, she stayed. Eventually, it became a game; how long could I keep running her without actually turning a loss?

Turns out, she was good for 54 runs, not winning a single one of them. She ran second in her second-to-last start, despite dropping to "different career" a number of seasons ago. She earned back her purchase price, her upkeep, and a little pocket money besides, scraping together just shy of $75k. I guess it is time to give her a rest now, but this girl will stick around in my stable as a reminder to keep trying, even when it's hard, and if your competition is too tough, switch tactics - there is always a weaker field, and a little heart goes a long, looong way. Have a good retirement, old friend.
Last edited by Shannon Hunt 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Senorita Vera

Post by Carole Hanson »

Love the post and love this story, Vera is a cool horse and if she were a real life pony she’d be one of those 1 in a million horses that have a permanent place in your heart ❤️
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Thanks Carole - she definitely would be, I'll admit there are a number of better mares in my stable that I would get rid of before this one. Funny how sentimental one can get over a few lines of code.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Her headshot is absolutely amazing 🤣😍
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Savina Lazaki
Sprinter

Post by Savina Lazaki »

That's a great story, and a great headshot!