The Next Big Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

The Next Big Thing

Post by Eric Gray »

In my relatively short time in the sim, late year 55, I’ve been blessed with some great horses in my favorite division, DR. Honestly, more than I deserve, but I’m thankful regardless. Deputy Dog was a crowd favorite and a true underdog story and Philadelphia Blue might as well be named, King of the Slide. Finally though, I have a horse that actually feels like he belongs. Late in year 60, Erin Sanderson had an auction and I bought a mare named Rustic Amber for $10,000, mainly because she was a James Dean daughter and I was looking for them. I wasn’t surprised to see she was a star mare and her most recent 2 foals were Stakes gallops including a filly named Risking Flight, by Dave Matthews Band, the big thing in DR studs. I went back to the well and bred a colt by DMB and as I do, named him immediately (something I don’t recommend. I have wasted a LOT of good names on a LOT of bad horses.) Hoping I hadn’t jinxed him calling him The Next Big Thing, he galloped freak progressive and alleviated some of the worry. He regressed to Stakes progressive and then almost immediately went to Freak peak. Through his first year racing, I could not have asked for more. He made his debut with a 100 speed figure, then won three straight stakes races, capping off his 2 year old season by winning the Steward’s Cup Juvenile. So what will his three year old season bring? I don’t know, but I do know this. I finally feel like I have one that belongs. And as for his name? When I name all my horses, I imagine Em calling their name at the top of the stretch in the Louisville Derby as they prepare to claim eternal sim racing glory and how that might feel. This one feels pretty good. I hope I’m lucky enough to hear it in six weeks.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Re: The Next Big Thing

Post by Andrew James »

Eric Gray wrote: 1 year ago In my relatively short time in the sim, late year 55, I’ve been blessed with some great horses in my favorite division, DR. Honestly, more than I deserve, but I’m thankful regardless. Deputy Dog was a crowd favorite and a true underdog story and Philadelphia Blue might as well be named, King of the Slide. Finally though, I have a horse that actually feels like he belongs. Late in year 60, Erin Sanderson had an auction and I bought a mare named Rustic Amber for $10,000, mainly because she was a James Dean daughter and I was looking for them. I wasn’t surprised to see she was a star mare and her most recent 2 foals were Stakes gallops including a filly named Risking Flight, by Dave Matthews Band, the big thing in DR studs. I went back to the well and bred a colt by DMB and as I do, named him immediately (something I don’t recommend. I have wasted a LOT of good names on a LOT of bad horses.) Hoping I hadn’t jinxed him calling him The Next Big Thing, he galloped freak progressive and alleviated some of the worry. He regressed to Stakes progressive and then almost immediately went to Freak peak. Through his first year racing, I could not have asked for more. He made his debut with a 100 speed figure, then won three straight stakes races, capping off his 2 year old season by winning the Steward’s Cup Juvenile. So what will his three year old season bring? I don’t know, but I do know this. I finally feel like I have one that belongs. And as for his name? When I name all my horses, I imagine Em calling their name at the top of the stretch in the Louisville Derby as they prepare to claim eternal sim racing glory and how that might feel. This one feels pretty good. I hope I’m lucky enough to hear it in six weeks.
Awesome horse Eric, best of luck to you and Thing in the big 3 year old races.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

He's pretty cool! Will be rooting for him next year for sure!
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

He is super cool! I've had an alert on him for forever it seems like.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

After struggling by comparison during his 3 year old campaign, TNBT has started life as a 4 year old in fine fashion. After taking the Sports Jersey Stakes, he responded with a win in the Saudi Cup over a fine field. Looking forward to see if this is fool's gold or a legitimate step back in the right direction next time out in the Desert World Cup. Either way, I am proud of this boy.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Good luck at the DWC, Eric!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I 100% expected you to be bouncing off the walls after Friday, but I think I saw you say "thanks guys" or something like that... and that was it. LOL.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

The Steward wrote: 11 months ago I 100% expected you to be bouncing off the walls after Friday, but I think I saw you say "thanks guys" or something like that... and that was it. LOL.
LOLOL. I was at a bar and listening on my phone and I was trying to be low key there. I honestly couldn't even tell you if I replied in the group chat or not. I do know that I may or may not have listened to a repeat of the call about 20 times since then. :D
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

It is that sad time that we all experience if we are lucky enough to have a great horse. I just shipped TNBT off to his final race, the SC Classic. It is an ultra talented field, as it always is, but I’m hoping he can follow in the footsteps of his big brother Nokk. After struggling twice finishing ninth both times, Nokk capped his career by winning the Classic in his third and final go around. TNBT has finished 10th and 8th and if he’s able to duplicate Nook’s final charge, he will sail off into the sunset in second place just $130,000 behind Nokk as the great Dave Matthews Band’s all-time top earning offspring. If that happens, I can live with second. Good luck big guy and thanks for the memories.