Unlimited, flexible custom barns to organize your horses

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Re: Unlimited, flexible custom barns to organize your horses

Post by The Admin »

Alleyne Torres wrote:Can we have the option to filter the smart barns on the fly?
I'm not sure what you mean. A SmartBarn is always an on-the-fly filter in that it shows you horses that qualify for the criteria at that moment in time. Manual barns hold whatever horses you specifically assign to them.
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

Admin wrote:
Alleyne Torres wrote:Can we have the option to filter the smart barns on the fly?
I'm not sure what you mean. A SmartBarn is always an on-the-fly filter in that it shows you horses that qualify for the criteria at that moment in time. Manual barns hold whatever horses you specifically assign to them.
When I'm in my smart barns, the drop down menu filters for breed, gender, age, horse type, etc are greyed out.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Alleyne Torres wrote:
Admin wrote:
When I'm in my smart barns, the drop down menu filters for breed, gender, age, horse type, etc are greyed out.
That's because it's a SmartBarn. You selected those filters when you made it. Any horse you ever have that matches those criteria will move there automatically and if a horse no longer matches it will move out.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

There are now links for all your barns on the My Office page.
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

Question, I haven't tried playing with these yet, but can we rename and reset perameters on these barns as we wish or or they set "for life" (or the term limit) so to speak?? I would love to be able to rename them at times during the year.

Also, again, I haven't touch it, so this may be an obvious question. But are there now unlimited alternate barns (i.e. we manually move them), and not just smartbarns? I will be more inclined to manual move horses than using the smart feature.
Gateway Farms
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

You can rename them and change what you want 'seen' but smartbarns, you can't change what automatically shows up in the SmartBarn. You have to delete and remake, I think.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Love it all! Thank you soo much!!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Post by Karl Smythe »

I think the easiest thing is to copy an existing barn and then decide what you want to see.
I have added the sire and dam to my 'claimer - 2 year old barn' so I see what their breeding is before I decide to get rid of them.
Makes is so much easier to not even look at them.
Loving the new barns!
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Sometime in the future, would there be a way to access the barns from your horse's page? Like... 'return to 'custom barn that horse is flagged in'' on the horse's page or in the drop down menu? Before we had the choice of going to Alt Barn via the drop down menu so we could skip that extra clicking step :)

AKA I am lazy lol. Love them otherwise, once the extra clicking is out of the way :)
Last edited by Nena Olson 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

The custom barns are fantastic (!) as well the flexibility to show what we choose for columns.

What I'm puzzling over is the purpose of the smart barns. If I create a smart barn just for my Appaloosas, then that's no different than my filtering for Appaloosas from my main racing barn, right? If I filter for freaks, then I only get freaks, but I can also do a custom barn just for freaks, and move them to that. (Plus, say, add stakes gallopers to the custom barn, which I couldn't do -- have two gallop levels -- with a smart barn.) Other than a horse only being able to be in one custom barn, I'm not sure why one would choose a smart barn over a custom barn for a certain criteria. It seems one could filter from the main barn page (just Appaloosas, eg) just as easily as filter for a certain smart barn (Appaloosa Barn).

In short, when it comes to smart barns, I feel like I'm missing something. At this point, I intend for all my new barns to be custom barns.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Regina,

I think the smart barns are for those players unwilling and/or unable to purchase custom barns. I could be wrong about that, though.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Laura Ferguson wrote:Regina,

I think the smart barns are for those players unwilling and/or unable to purchase custom barns. I could be wrong about that, though.
Does this mean smart barns are free and the cost is only for custom barns?
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Regina Moore wrote:The custom barns are fantastic (!) as well the flexibility to show what we choose for columns.

What I'm puzzling over is the purpose of the smart barns. If I create a smart barn just for my Appaloosas, then that's no different than my filtering for Appaloosas from my main racing barn, right? If I filter for freaks, then I only get freaks, but I can also do a custom barn just for freaks, and move them to that. (Plus, say, add stakes gallopers to the custom barn, which I couldn't do -- have two gallop levels -- with a smart barn.) Other than a horse only being able to be in one custom barn, I'm not sure why one would choose a smart barn over a custom barn for a certain criteria. It seems one could filter from the main barn page (just Appaloosas, eg) just as easily as filter for a certain smart barn (Appaloosa Barn).

In short, when it comes to smart barns, I feel like I'm missing something. At this point, I intend for all my new barns to be custom barns.
SmartBarns are for people who only want to do things once. Let's say you have 16 Paint freak fillies so you make them a SmartBarn. Then week 9 comes, you regallop, and you only have14. The two non freaks automatically are booted out. You don't go find them yourself and move them because that takes time and some people don't have time. Then 9 weeks later you get 3 more Paint freaks! They automatically show up there. Etc.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

That explains why the smart barns weren't making sense to me -- I'm too hands-on! :)
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Would it be possible at some point to see, in the "Default" view from the regular racing barn, which barn or barns a given horse is assigned to? For me, this would ensure that I don't "forget" a horse when organizing them into my custom barns.

So for example...........I create a barn called "Mixer Claimers" and put all my mixers that I want in claiming races in there. I then buy an Appaloosa that I'd like in that barn, but since she doesn't automatically go in there, she's not in any barn right now. IF from the main racing barn I could see what horses are assigned to what barns, I would then see that she currently has no home base in a custom barn, and then I could place her appropriately without losing her in the proverbial shuffle.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum