Unlimited, flexible custom barns to organize your horses

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: Unlimited, flexible custom barns to organize your horses

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Has anyone set up a virtual reality tour of a farm with multiples of each barn, just to give us an idea how it could work? I don't have enough horses to need more that 2 racing and/or breeding barns. I still only use 1 training barn. But I think I'd like to see how it works for others.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Nick Gilmore wrote:Has anyone set up a virtual reality tour of a farm with multiples of each barn, just to give us an idea how it could work? I don't have enough horses to need more that 2 racing and/or breeding barns. I still only use 1 training barn. But I think I'd like to see how it works for others.
I think a lot of it has to do with how actively you want to manage your horses. Like Nena said, she just doesn't have time to manage more than her allowances, so two barns works out just fine for her. I have four Training barns for equipment sorting, and four for my Racing barn (two for my 2yos and two for my standard racers 3yo+). I'll add a "Sales" barn in there when I sell/auction off horses, but that's not a permanent staple.

I know it's not a virtual walkthrough, but people posted about their usage here.

Otherwise I'd be happy to talk to you more Nick. Shoot me a PM!
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Admin wrote: I had an idea that is similar to your idea but at the Barn level rather than the horse level.

Each Managed barn could have a way to specify which other Managed barn to move horses to when they "graduate". So a Managed Training barn could say "move horses to 'my special racing barn' when they are old enough". Does that make sense? I haven't figured out how to present this clearly to users. I guess Training barns would need to have a "next racing barn" and "next breeding barn" setting. A racing barn would need "next breeding barn".

Just thoughts.
If this can be done easily, I think this would work perfectly. At least, for me.

For instance, I have 2 training barns. One for horses with equipment set (Barn 1) and another for horses that need equipment (Barn 2). I have 3 racing barns that I actively use.
Horses that have equipment verified and are running (Main Barn), horses that don't have equipment verified but are running (Maiden Barn), and horses that I am still doing timed workouts with (Equipment Set Barn).
If I could just make it so that all the horses in Training Barn 1 went to the Maiden Barn and horses in Training Barn 2 went to the Equipment Set Barn. That would make my life just grand! Since there is no way for me to tell if a 2yo with 1 piece selected is done or is still needing workouts.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

[/quote]
Since there is no way for me to tell if a 2yo with 1 piece selected is done or is still needing workouts.[/quote]

I know this isn't specific to managing barns but my horses don't get their horse whisper comment until their equipment is figured. If the horse whisper comment is a column in your barn the horses are easily sorted and moved if needed.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Ali Hedgestone wrote:
Admin wrote: I had an idea that is similar to your idea but at the Barn level rather than the horse level.

Each Managed barn could have a way to specify which other Managed barn to move horses to when they "graduate". So a Managed Training barn could say "move horses to 'my special racing barn' when they are old enough". Does that make sense? I haven't figured out how to present this clearly to users. I guess Training barns would need to have a "next racing barn" and "next breeding barn" setting. A racing barn would need "next breeding barn".

Just thoughts.
If this can be done easily, I think this would work perfectly. At least, for me.

For instance, I have 2 training barns. One for horses with equipment set (Barn 1) and another for horses that need equipment (Barn 2). I have 3 racing barns that I actively use.
Horses that have equipment verified and are running (Main Barn), horses that don't have equipment verified but are running (Maiden Barn), and horses that I am still doing timed workouts with (Equipment Set Barn).
If I could just make it so that all the horses in Training Barn 1 went to the Maiden Barn and horses in Training Barn 2 went to the Equipment Set Barn. That would make my life just grand! Since there is no way for me to tell if a 2yo with 1 piece selected is done or is still needing workouts.
Yep, this would be lovely.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Tom Lin wrote:
Since there is no way for me to tell if a 2yo with 1 piece selected is done or is still needing workouts.[/quote]

I know this isn't specific to managing barns but my horses don't get their horse whisper comment until their equipment is figured. If the horse whisper comment is a column in your barn the horses are easily sorted and moved if needed.[/quote]
It is, but I don't buy a whisperer comment for all my horses. Nor do I get soundness comments on all my stock. So that sorting tactic doesn't work well for me. :D

Good idea though.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Thanks Maddy, but I have under 300 active horses in total, so no need for multiple barns. I can see where it would be useful for large stables.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

I decided to give this a try to separate my flat horses from my chasers but the only problem is that although my racing "chaser" barn only shows my chasers, my flat racing barn also shows my chasers as well as my flat horses.

How do I customise my flat barn to only show flat racers ?
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Robbie Dee wrote: 7 years ago I decided to give this a try to separate my flat horses from my chasers but the only problem is that although my racing "chaser" barn only shows my chasers, my flat racing barn also shows my chasers as well as my flat horses.

How do I customise my flat barn to only show flat racers ?
I'm assuming that your flat barn includes a variety of flat racers by distance and surface. In that case, a Smart Barn won't work. You'll probably need to create a Manual Barn and manage the horses individually.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

OK thanks Madelene

Seems a bit strange that we can't have a smart barn for chasers but I'll just try a manual barn instead.

Cheers

Robbie
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Robbie Dee wrote: 7 years ago OK thanks Madelene

Seems a bit strange that we can't have a smart barn for chasers but I'll just try a manual barn instead.

Cheers

Robbie
You can have a smart barn for just chasers! It's the flat runners that you'll probably need a manual for.

If you want a smart barn, just use the Horse-Type filter and set it to Steeplechaser. I'm assuming you need SIMperior for the horse types to show up.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

Madelene Gilbert wrote: 7 years ago
Robbie Dee wrote: 7 years ago OK thanks Madelene

Cheers

Robbie
You can have a smart barn for just chasers! It's the flat runners that you'll probably need a manual for.

If you want a smart barn, just use the Horse-Type filter and set it to Steeplechaser. I'm assuming you need SIMperior for the horse types to show up.

Yes I can make smart barns for my chasers but not for my flat horses

I'll see what I can do with this next season before I decide whether to stick with it or not.

Thanks