SIM 7.1

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tiyoun Long
Miler

Re: SIM 7.1

Post by Tiyoun Long »

I use two, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge which comes with Windows 10.

I stopped using Firefox as it was basically far too slow and kept crashing on most websites

Experimenting with it though, Firefox it took 15 seconds before the Racing Barn opened , and 13 seconds for the Breeding barn to , which was a lot longer than when using Google Chrome

I also tried the Sim on Microsoft Edge , and when loading the barns, the warning 'simhorseracing.com is not reponding' pops up , but after a delay the barns open .

On Google Chrome its only the "Barn's" which are slow in uploading. All the rest of the pages are still very fast - individual horses, the bank, the forum,auctions etc.
Hoping this helps......
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I've used Edge as well and got that message. It does load but is slow. The only barn that is slow for me on Chrome is the Racing Barn in which I have over 300 horses. The smaller and smart barns load fast.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Tiyoun Long wrote: 7 years ago I might have missed this elsewhere, but is there anyway to speed up page loading on the new version of Sim.?

For example, I have 319 horses in my racing barn, and even with a brand new desktop,and super fast broadband , it takes 7 seconds for the barn page to load .

It also takes 4 seconds for the shipping page to load,and the training and breeding barns are as slow as the racing barn . It doesn't sound a lot, but it really adds up with a bigger barn,and I'm taking twice as long to do things as I used to .

It feels like I'm on the old dial-up internet ......
I think with the horse page, you could either have 100 horses on a page and faster load time, or you can have them all show up on one page (up to 500) and have a slower load time... because 7.0/7.1 added the quick filter so it tries to load all the information of every horse you own at the same time.

With the shipping page, I noticed that it loads it alphabetically first and then there is a pause and it sorts it by closest which makes it take awhile to load because it has to load all the farms/tracks and then decide which one is closest. Not sure why it takes longer than it did in previous version or how they changed the programming on it but that is what I have noticed.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Tiyoun Long
Miler

Post by Tiyoun Long »

Yes I noticed the slight glitch on the shipping page too. I had to stop myself from sending my horses to the one at the top when it opened , and wait for it to 'settle down'.Could have been very expensive- LOL!

Hopefully Admin can wave their magic wand and resolve the slow upload of the Barns, before players get frustrated
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I think the consensus was that most players would prefer an extra second or two of load time,vs. being able to only see 100 horses per page.
The only time I notice it now on Chrome is a split second delay when loading large barns, which i don't mind at all given the extra functionality that we have now, and the shipping page as Nena mentioned, which is something I'm we can probably all get used to pretty quick. :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Tiyoun Long
Miler

Post by Tiyoun Long »

I agree with you Laura ,an extra second or two isn't bad .

Unfortunately , my large barn is suffering from a 7 second lag ,and its getting really annoying. I think my problem may stem from having the original 'basic' barns.

I'd be interested to know if you have the same type , or whether I need to get a Smart Barn to get a faster upload
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Related to barn page loading speed and shipping page...

First of all, a point of clarity, there is no "uploading" while loading a barn page. It is a "download" (data coming from the high-and-mighty web server being delivered "down" to a web browser).

Bandwidth is not a huge factor in loading those pages.

The time consuming part is the Javascript that runs in the browser after the data has arrived that is why trying different browsers can make a difference. The Javascript allows for all the interaction you enjoy on the horse lists like sorting, quick filter and responsive hiding of columns based on screen size. The speed that it takes the Javascript to organize the table is directly related to the total number of rows loaded and the number of rows displayed. In order for the quick filter to know about all of your race horses, we have to load all of them. I think the cap is set at 5000. Then we chose to display 500 of them. Reducing either of those numbers would result in a speed increase at the loss of functionality.

Default barns, vs custom barns vs SmartBarns all have the exact same loading procedure. If your SmartBarn has 5 horses in it, it will load and render faster than a Default Barn that has 2,000 horses in it.

There may be some optimizations possible to improve the speed slightly which we will look at when all the more pressing issues have been addressed.
Tiyoun Long
Miler

Post by Tiyoun Long »

Thanks for the clarification. At least barn type isnt an issue. I think you deserve a medal for the amount of work you've all put into the new version !!!
Corey Lange
Miler

Post by Corey Lange »

So when I go to my stats page it is not showing updated stats (like it does on the front page) so even after Day 1 and partial Day 2 my stats still read:
Trainer Stats for Year 47: 0 : 0-0-0
Earnings: $0 | Breeder Awards: $ 0
Stakes Wins: 0 | Maiden Wins: 0 | 2 Year Old Wins: 0

This is the same for firefox and explorer
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Corey Lange wrote: 7 years ago So when I go to my stats page it is not showing updated stats (like it does on the front page) so even after Day 1 and partial Day 2 my stats still read:

Ditto... BUT if I scroll down to where all the years are listed in a table, that IS updated.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Corey Lange wrote: 7 years ago So when I go to my stats page it is not showing updated stats (like it does on the front page) so even after Day 1 and partial Day 2 my stats still read:

That was just a mistake because I couldn't test it before people had results. Thanks for the heads up. It should be corrected now.
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Thanks for the clarification Admin! I understand it's not the most pressing issue, but thanks for the explanation on certain pages loading slow and why that might be, and I do hope it can be addressed at some point. Like Tiyoun said a 1 or 2 extra seconds is one thing, but it takes several seconds longer to load barn and shipping pages with Firefox, and I often get a message that a page is slowing down my browser and would I like to wait or close it. I can check at home tonight​ and see if it does the same on Chrome, but I use Firefox for literally everything else and don't want to have​ to use a separate browser just for the SIM.
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Alex Puderbaugh wrote: 7 years ago when I went to the Exchange to buy GPs with SIM dollars, I could sort the table by SIM $ amount, GP amount, and the exchange rate. Now it appears the ability to do this has disappeared?
Exchange sorting is back.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

On the financial summary page would it be possible for the income and expenses to have separate totals and the bottom line say profit/loss? That is if a majority of players would prefer it of course.
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Thank you so much! It is much appreciated!
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D