Horse Lists - Speed/Columns/Triangle/Responsive

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Re: Horse Lists - Speed/Columns/Triangle/Responsive

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Sorry, I don't know how to send screenshots from a laptop, but it must be my browser, I'm using a very old one probably no one else uses (Maxthon) :-D
I just checked and it works with Chrome, so I'll just manage my barns there. Thanks for the quick reply.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

In my racing barn I get 15 columns on my laptop at maximum width.
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

The Steward wrote: 7 years ago I am on a 15 inch laptop and my browser is set to about 3/4s of my screen. I have 19 columns in the racing barn (I really need to find a home for that 2yo) and don't need to scroll in either format. How small are people's browsers/laptops if I get 19 columns without needing to make my window bigger???
I have a 15 inch HP Laptop running Opera 45.0.

My screen is set at 100% and looking at just my turf Sprinters I get 16 columns across and I have another 2 to 3 in the drop down box, depending on which horse type im looking at, this is of course in the Responsive Format. To get all the columns on the page I need to go to 80% but if i do that the writing is so small its hard on the eyes.

In the Scrollable Format at 100% I get 14 columns across with 2 off screen to the right.

If I want to look at those 2 columns I have to go to the bottom of the page and scroll right to see those 2 columns. But by doing that 3/4 of the names of the horses are hidden.
If i go to 90% then I get all the columns, problem with this is the size of the type. I already wear glasses so not much I can do there.

If you would like screen caps let me know and ill get them for you :)
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

What about making the Sim into an APP as well instead of trying to get the website working on those mobile devices? if people are using their phones or tablets wouldn't it be more wise to just make an app for the sim? or I guess you're figuring out that code now and invest later already having code written down something like that? lol but I really think an app needs to be made to further this site as a business, and also not as important but racing in a circle instead of a straight line that could be something to look into. I think that might attract some more people. one person said wouldn't play here because of that, if they did he'd give it a try I believe he said. but maybe not however I love the sim. with the addition of the app also I believe you'll get a whole new audience who would likely purchase gp's.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Gibson »

Rachel Sadler wrote: 7 years ago If I want to look at those 2 columns I have to go to the bottom of the page and scroll right to see those 2 columns. But by doing that 3/4 of the names of the horses are hidden.
If you click within the table, you should be able to use your arrow keys to scroll.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

So we've had this option for a week. Currently there are 42 people who chose the "Scrollable Table" option - the rest are on "Responsive". What are your thoughts and experiences about the options? Include whether you use any mobile devices and your screen size. What would be better? Remember that SIM 6.x was similar to the "Scrollable Table" option except you'd scroll the entire page left and right rather than just the table - you also had to zoom to see anything on phones.

Constructive thoughts?
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I chose scrollable option since I wish to be able to sort one column while still
being able to see the others (since my decision may be dependent on several columns).
It makes it harder to make these decisions when information is hidden under
an arrow.

On the phone all columns except the name of the horse goes beneath the arrow which
means I can't sort by the "raced last"-column. It makes it very hard for me to find the
horses in turn to race next.

In short. I greatly prefer sortable columns and a good overview. I get both with the scrollable
option while I get neither with the responsive format.

PC 22"
Phone 5,2"

Thanks for the classy design and all the great new features and options introduced with
7.0. I appreciate the work and consideration put into it by all involved.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Ash Tarasin wrote: 6 years ago On the phone all columns except the name of the horse goes beneath the arrow which
means I can't sort by the "raced last"-column. It makes it very hard for me to find the
horses in turn to race next.
Thanks for your thoughts. FYI, you can sort by columns that are in the triangle. Open one row's triangle and click the column name. It will sort by that column.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Admin wrote: 6 years ago Thanks for your thoughts. FYI, you can sort by columns that are in the triangle. Open one row's triangle and click the column name. It will sort by that column.
Thank you for the information.
Is there also a way to easily see (with the responsive format) where one stat start and ends? E.g Where the
productive-type horses end and the allowance-horses start or where the horses who ran on w4-d1 end and the w4-d2
start for the columns going into the arrow?
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I stopped using the SIM on my phone (iphone 6) all together because neither option worked well for me with a big barn when it came to managing the horses. The scrollbar is too far down the page to see the horses at the top of the page (like it is at the very bottom of the list of 500 horses so I can't see the horses at the top of the list without scrolling all the way up after I've scrolled all the way down to scroll to the right) and in the responsive, when all the information is stuck in the arrow, it is far too difficult/tedious to open every single arrow to see which horses have ran 4/3/2 weeks ago or even longer since I apparently suck at entering horses. It just doesn't make the SIM mobile friendly for me with a large barn. If I ever go on the SIM, from my phone, it is to check my results or an auction. Everything else, I wait until I have access to my desktop or laptop.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Let me ask some more questions. Perhaps we can figure out how to improve using the SIM for everyone.

First, more clarification. Nena said "I stopped using my iPhone 6... because the scrollbar is too far down the page..." On touch screens, you should be able to scroll by dragging your finger anywhere on the table - you don't need to scroll to the bottom to see a scrollbar.

Ash mentioned "On the phone all columns except the name of the horse goes beneath the arrow" - turning the phone sideways will display more columns than just the name. Also, you mention using the "Scrollable" view on your 22inch PC. If you open your browser wide enough, a 22inch monitor should be more than wide enough to show all columns at once with either "Responsive" or "Scrollable".

As mentioned before, the "Responsive" option accomplishes the goal of delivering all the SIM data in a readable format on small screens. However, it seems that it doesn't support the workflow you need to accomplish the tasks you need to do. Help me learn the tasks you want to accomplish on Mobile and what data you need to accomplish those tasks. Do we need a barn filter for "Entered" and "Not Entered". Is that what we actually need, rather than being able to see all the columns simultaneously just to sort by them?

Another question. We learned that having a list of 500 horses was very important where 100 was not enough. Is this entirely because we need to click the "Select All" checkbox to process all 500 horses at a time? If that is the reason, might it be better to create a way to process all horses in a barn without needing to see them in a list?

Does anyone have more ideas of how to optimize the SIM's mobile experience to facilitate the tasks you want to do? Or, is the SIM something that has to be done on a large screen? Perhaps the SIM performs well for most actions on mobile (like messages, SIMForum, seeing results, and reading the Feature Race News), but what are the functions that could be improved?
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Admin wrote: 6 years ago First, more clarification. Nena said "I stopped using my iPhone 6... because the scrollbar is too far down the page..." On touch screens, you should be able to scroll by dragging your finger anywhere on the table - you don't need to scroll to the bottom to see a scrollbar.
Yes, you should be able to but it lags so bad that it gets stuck and then I can't see the names of the horses cus I can't move it back to that column since it is stuck. Dragging my barn with my finger seems to the equivalent to trying to move it through quick drying cement lmao

Honestly, there isn't one single task that everybody is going to be just doing on their phones/tablets. The one link I provided awhile go, on page one, where you can toggle which columns to display during that single moment seemed like a really good idea. That way those that want to decide who to sell, can look at whatever they need to see...those that want to work horses can select last worked/equipment, those that want to enter races can select last raced/last ran, etc.
Last edited by Nena Olson 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

So I know nothing about programming to know if this is remotely possible, and I don't do anything on my phone if I don't have to so I am not an expert on the mobile experience that being said I think some of the complaints would be alleviated if there was a way to filter columns by null values in that column (like you mentioned with filtering horses that are and aren't entered). Earlier this sim year I tried to get all my horses that weren't soundness checked and horse whisper checked checked. This was after we were able to sort by columns that weren't showing so that was helpful but I still had to through and hit a lot of triangles to find out where the cutoff was for horses that were and weren't checked. Then I had to manually select each horse. It was tedious. If I could have just somewhere filtered horses with soundness unknown it would have have been 100 times easier.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 6 years ago So I know nothing about programming to know if this is remotely possible, and I don't do anything on my phone if I don't have to so I am not an expert on the mobile experience that being said I think some of the complaints would be alleviated if there was a way to filter columns by null values in that column (like you mentioned with filtering horses that are and aren't entered). Earlier this sim year I tried to get all my horses that weren't soundness checked and horse whisper checked checked. This was after we were able to sort by columns that weren't showing so that was helpful but I still had to through and hit a lot of triangles to find out where the cutoff was for horses that were and weren't checked. Then I had to manually select each horse. It was tedious. If I could have just somewhere filtered horses with soundness unknown it would have have been 100 times easier.
Don't worry about knowing programming. This quest is all about understanding your workflows. We worry about the programming.

So you are suggesting that filtering on blank columns would be helpful. Which columns?
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I'd love to keep both options for responsive and non responsive. I've been flicking between both (mainly using responsive) according to what tasks I'm doing and the specific information I want.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)