SimHorseRacing at Equestricon

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Re: SimHorseRacing at Equestricon

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Glenn Escobar wrote: 6 years ago I understand that Audio isn't in play at Equestricon ...
Wait, no audio? Are you sure?
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I would focus on some of the more instant gratification things that you can do in the SIM when you first join. Now a days, people don't want to wait to see how things develop. That being said, I joined the SIM almost 11 RL years ago and things are way different than they are now. I took my first horse, entered the Wood Memorial and got 4th haha. You could also breed as a new player, they were born as yearlings so you could race them right away if you bred them right after W16. Which is probably how you got me to stay as I am not a patient person.

Maybe sending out a survey to newbies asking them why they joined the SIM would be the best way to see why people DO join the SIM in present day :)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

As a newbie, the complexity kept me away at first so I'd try to keep things as simple as possible when trying to lure folks to join. In the end though, there is just no other decent option if you want to own fake horses and once I did join I became hooked almost immediately. I really do like the "Horses fake, emotions real" tagline that others have mentioned as that's a great way to put it. Some people probably like waking up to see their kids smiling faces or have their dogs giving them kisses, I'm pushing my daughter and dogs out of the way so I can get to the overnight results.
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Someone make a poster of J.R. shoving his daughter and dogs out of the way so he can get to his computer.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

That would be a surefire way to get people to stop at the booth lol
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Slightly different to Nena I think you need to ask newbies and junior players why they have stayed rather than why they joined.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I'd go with a giant poster "GET YOUR FREE HORSE NOW" and make them wonder *!
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Dave Trainer wrote: 6 years ago Slightly different to Nena I think you need to ask newbies and junior players why they have stayed rather than why they joined.
No other respectable site would have me!
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 6 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 6 years ago Slightly different to Nena I think you need to ask newbies and junior players why they have stayed rather than why they joined.
No other respectable site would have me!
wait? this site is respectable? I'm out
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

it said CON on my home page so I clicked this. :D

-What are the most concise and compelling reasons that you joined the SIM?
Some nice fuzzy person who took me into the paddock to see Azeri told me they were opening a game up again and I should play.

-What made you decide to sign up for the SIM?
To conquer the world with Michelle. We're still in the midst of this plan. I think....

-What is the first thing you tell people when you want to excite them about the SIM?
That I get more upset when my horses lose here than when my REAL HORSE LOST. WTH Me??!?!

-What sets the SIM above all other racings games?
There are other racing games?

On a serious note, it's so cool that you're going to a con. I love cons. Be outgoing and chatty and approachable. Con people are often introverts and it's can be hard to get them into a booth. (A racing con might be different. Who's cosplaying a horse tho in the booth?!?!)

Maybe have some computers set up so people can register for accounts at the booth. Depending on the internet situation at the con this could be harder. Most people do have smart phones and the new UI makes that easier but it's still nice to be like here sigh up, let me show you what's up! There's nothing cooler to a gamer than learning about the game from the developers.

I think some pics of people meeting up IRL would be neat as well (provided the people in the pics give permission of course - you have mine) Show that it's not just an online community but it can be much more! I've met some amazing people playing the SIM. I know I'm rarely around these days (real work and starting up a 501(c)3 is hard and busy.) but I still love it. I don't just toss my horses to the masses for a reason.

Have fun! Take pics! Recruit!
Oncu Kaan
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Oncu Kaan »

I have always wanted to be a horse owner until now, I'm not sure I want anymore. Because I have experienced the sense of ownership in here.

Thanks for everything Sim Horse Racing, you're my favorite dream.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

Danny Derby wrote: 6 years ago IMO it's the management aspect of it as a whole, not any single aspect of the game. The selling point is that a racing fan can experience what it's like to actually build their own global racing organization and experience what it's like to be a Coolmore or a Godolphin without the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's the hook if you only have a few seconds.
That's why I play. Trying to build an empire!
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

Danny is right and also to add to that, it's like poker in the sense that it helps with risk vs reward and risk management, which is what big time financial investors do. also helps your brain with decision making. All the people here are great to. just wonderful cool, silly, funny awesome, amazing people.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

It's nice to see all new players on the top winners tab this break. Hopefully, most will stick around!