SimHorseRacing at Equestricon

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Re: SimHorseRacing at Equestricon

Post by Dan Kauffman »

What about playing a race call via the Youtube "videos" or even on a cell phone?
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

We won't be doing any audio.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

You won't even be talking?

(I kid, I kid.)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I want to hear the steward tell us one more time that there will be no audio
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Wait, is there going to be audio? Asking for a friend!
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

The whole exhibit is going to be like a Charlie Chaplin silent movie.

All communication will be done in sign language. Morse code was ruled out. Too much noise.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Dan Kauffman wrote: 6 years ago The whole exhibit is going to be like a Charlie Chaplin silent movie.

All communication will be done in sign language. Morse code was ruled out. Too much noise.
We are going to use sock puppets that are holding signs
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Why didn't I think of that?!?

They better be equestrian sock puppets!

(Then you can demonstrate the breeding aspect of the game ... er ... never mind.)
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

Using one of the many outsourcing sites out there, just pretend that you want to outsource new graphics for your game and ask a few companies for examples of their work with racehorse graphics.

Pick the best one and use it on your stand at Equestricon as you are going to require a decent visual image for the game and most of the folk there are liable to be serious horse people or people seriously interested in horse racing, so you need to capture their imagination visually before you get them interested in the intricacies of the game.
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Marketing ideas for booth interaction at a trade show?

Right up my alley, I've done hundreds!

You need a reason for folks to stop walking, and come talk. GIVEAWAYS!!! People go to shows to collect goodies for their gift bags. And the best vendors ALWAYS supply bags. If someone is carrying some of their literature, brochures, pens, etc that they've gathered up, they need a place to put their goodies....that's when you chime in with "Hey, we've got a bag for all your stuff!" Struggle with opening it....and while you struggle, ask them about their online horse game experiences. ALWAYS ask them questions, get them talking. Don't try to start with why the SIM is great, let them tell you about their experiences. And MOST of the time, they will tell you the negative experiences they've had with other games. That's when you counter with reasons why the SIM will be better than what they've experienced.

But I digress, wanna get people to stop at the SIM booth? Giveaways. Headshot buttons. Spin a wheel for a prize (prizes could range from pens to koozies to $10 worth of Game Points). EVERYTHING you giveaway should have simhorseracing.com plastered on it.

Also, hold a drawing. Make them have to fill out an entry form for a giveaway. You'll have their attention for the 30 seconds or so they are filling out the form. Ask the event coordinator if they would be at your booth when you decide to the drawing for the prize.

Prize, you ask? Zenyatta saddlecloth. Mike Smith autographed photo. Steak dinner at a local restaurant. I'm sure your connections can come up with something awesome that will make people stop to spend 30 seconds with you.

Best of luck!! Sounds awesome.....wish I could be there.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

We've got our giveaways and prizes and all that. We've done lots of conventions, just not SIM ones! We're trying to find out what aspects of the SIM we are trying to sell to other people.... since we don't play it ourselves. So far, the leader is that we should be shouting BREEDING! at people, which seems awkward......
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

gender sells.

I love the forum filter.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

IMO it's the management aspect of it as a whole, not any single aspect of the game. The selling point is that a racing fan can experience what it's like to actually build their own global racing organization and experience what it's like to be a Coolmore or a Godolphin without the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's the hook if you only have a few seconds.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

I think you need more than breeding.

Own, train, and race your own horses, all different distances and surfaces in all different countries all over the world, buying and selling, breeding the next champion, auctions, competitions, community chat room, forum discussions.
Book a stable jockey who will ride all of your horses and will never ride for anybody else.
Learn the complexities and intricacies of training from an experienced player or formulate your own training strategy.
Win Grade 1s, Grade 2s, Grade 3s or race in the big Cup races in the end of season championships.
Get your horse into the hall of fame.

So much more than just breeding.
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Danny Derby wrote: 6 years ago IMO it's the management aspect of it as a whole, not any single aspect of the game. The selling point is that a racing fan can experience what it's like to actually build their own global racing organization and experience what it's like to be a Coolmore or a Godolphin without the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's the hook if you only have a few seconds.
Agree with this, and would add that you get to customize your organization for the size, breeds, geography, and so forth that YOU want to play with.

On an organizational note, I understand that Audio isn't in play at Equestricon, but would it be possible to have a few varieties of glossy "one sheet"-type of information cards that could be given out? These could outline brief testimonials, etc. similar to what Danny and others have laid out, but also would provide a tangible takeaway piece for some folks who would like that sort of thing.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum