Computer

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Computer

Post by The Steward »

My computer is 4 years old and has been through the ringer. It is used 6-14 hours a day for 4 straight years and it has a zillion issues -
Fans don’t work, track pad stopped working, some keys don’t go, screws fell out, screen is peeling.... anyway it has left me today to go into the shop for seven days to be almost completely replaced. I have not been without a computer this long since I was 8. It was harder to watch it being taken away than my kids first day of school.

Bye computer! Make good choices!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ryan Whitehead
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Computer

Post by Ryan Whitehead »

Wonder if they make a PATCH for computer withdraw. lol
Improvisational 80K
Fade to Black 50K
Moneyed 40K
Moose Knuckle 28K
Forefront 15K
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Irving Faulkner
Classic Contender

Post by Irving Faulkner »

:shock: :shock: :shock: wow how I would like to see her have what can be done for her, I am not an expert, but I assure you that I will do miracles with her, if I had her in my hands

Of course it would not be a laptop, would pass a desk, since you should use keyboard, and external mouse maybe hard drive on external pendriver, and even external fans, and to reach the end, without a carcass but still could work and a long time. a pc to be able to do many things, so if you have not thrown them, do not do it

a laptop of 4 years ago can last much longer, even so that children can do their homework, and watch their videos, and look for information.

4 years old that's super new yet. Of course I speak to you because in my country that is impossible to buy, but it would work to the maximum. :P :P :P :P :P

I hope you can get a new laptop, to help you.
For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Lol, my computer is 10 years old. I've had to replace 2 fans in it and upgrade it from XP to Win7. Win7 took up most of it's hard drive. But I had 2 external drives to move stuff to - one is a 3TB hard drive and the other a 5TB hard drive.

But what is Killing my computer now...

YouTube's decision to not give people a choice of 720p30 anymore. (720p was the standard starting point for HD)
It's now 720p/60 quality and if one's computer, or internet can't handle that...you are forced to drop your video quality all the way down to 480p. :evil:

My computer can't handle the 720p60. I don't understand why they have ALL those other quality choices listed all the way down to 144p -- but they won't let people drop from the 720p60 to the 720p30

My computer has been running pretty stable these past 10 years. It's on all the time, and I don't do much with it other than go to a few sites on the internet - and I think a majority of my time is spent here on the Sim. I and use it to watch Amazon Prime or Netflix shows for a few hours a day. So it sucks that I'll probably have to go try to find a new computer that can deal with YouTube's 720p60 deal. It could be just a video card upgrade could fix this issue...but I'm not sure if my old system could even handle that. :P

As my computer is my t.v., and news source, and my 'play time' with my games both on and off the internet. I know I would sure miss the addictive thing. Withdrawal symptoms would be pretty bad. :shock:

Em, for the next few days you might learn to meditate...lol... or go find some retro 1970's clothes and get a feel for what life was like pre-home computer era. : )

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Sorry for your loss. :( Hope it comes back as good as new.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Irving Faulkner
Classic Contender

Post by Irving Faulkner »

Stormy Peak wrote: 5 years ago Lol, my computer is 10 years old. I've had to replace 2 fans in it and upgrade it from XP to Win7. Win7 took up most of it's hard drive. But I had 2 external drives to move stuff to - one is a 3TB hard drive and the other a 5TB hard drive.

But what is Killing my computer now...

YouTube's decision to not give people a choice of 720p30 anymore. (720p was the standard starting point for HD)
It's now 720p/60 quality and if one's computer, or internet can't handle that...you are forced to drop your video quality all the way down to 480p. :evil:

My computer can't handle the 720p60. I don't understand why they have ALL those other quality choices listed all the way down to 144p -- but they won't let people drop from the 720p60 to the 720p30

My computer has been running pretty stable these past 10 years. It's on all the time, and I don't do much with it other than go to a few sites on the internet - and I think a majority of my time is spent here on the Sim. I and use it to watch Amazon Prime or Netflix shows for a few hours a day. So it sucks that I'll probably have to go try to find a new computer that can deal with YouTube's 720p60 deal. It could be just a video card upgrade could fix this issue...but I'm not sure if my old system could even handle that. :P

As my computer is my t.v., and news source, and my 'play time' with my games both on and off the internet. I know I would sure miss the addictive thing. Withdrawal symptoms would be pretty bad. :shock:

Em, for the next few days you might learn to meditate...lol... or go find some retro 1970's clothes and get a feel for what life was like pre-home computer era. : )

Stormy

:P excellent explanation Stormy, in my country would be a great ING in system, and informatica :)

I can only say that even your computers can work for much longer.

but how to help them, or how to have someone just to help them, and leave their pc, functional, until much longer

my old laptop, is also my TV, and site dinformation, and entertainment, although you do not believe it, 21st century, and I do not have a personal TV, which does not matter at the end, because if you do not have satellite TV, you do not have sense to have a TV

but I hope that EM, can get someone, that he leaves his laptop functional for many more time, and that he will not collect a money, that does not exist, in the maintenance, and fix of the pc, or possible solutions

I have to play YouTube videos in 360 p, and what I do is download it in 480 p from linux, since the download pages are a virus cave for windows, and I watch the videos through a linux player called MPV , this helped me a lot, I use linux to navigate is much better than Windows, since its graphic environment is much lighter

clear in my opinion, since there are people, who hate linux, but you can get better functionality on the pc

I have tended to hear comments from people, who have shouted first died to use linux :shock: hahahahaha, and then I laugh, when I hear the page is buffed, this program does not want to work, I have to restart the computer, hahahaha :P

Of course this can also happen in Linux, but they are less frequent
For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Just got a text notice I need to be home to sign for a package before 10am tomorrow. COULD IT BE?!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Sorry. That's just me. I was sending you some of these to tide you over until your computer is fixed and they require a signature. (jk) :lol:
https://www.slimchillers.com/skinny-freezers/
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Just got a text notice I need to be home to sign for a package before 10am tomorrow. COULD IT BE?!
Fingers crossed!!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Are they just sending you a new computer? Man, whenever my computer dies, its pretty much the worst thing ever LOL
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

It's back!!!!!! Now to catch up on all the things.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

YAY!!! Welcome back :D
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

ITS NOT FIXED!!!! RAAAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Noooooo!!!!! Time to start a go fund me to get our fearless leader a new laptop!

Edit: originally I meant it as a joke...but if you did make a go fund me for it I would actually give you my game point funds I’ve been saving up :D
Last edited by Rochelle Bos 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program