Y53 AJ Rate

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Y53 AJ Rate

Post by Dave Trainer »

If it helps stop the mass breeding of rubbish I'm very much in favour.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago
Mike Springer wrote: 4 years ago I'm I the only that likes this change? I think $10k would be better.
I like it as well.
I like it too. $10k gets my vote.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

The easiest way to understand this is to simply tack ~$2,400 onto any stud fee you pay. If you're not willing to pay the stud fee + $2,400, don't breed the horse. For most stud fees that aren't bargain basement, that's trivial.

The math:
Foals are exempted from day rate, otherwise you pay $5/day/horse. To own a horse through its yearling, 2yo, 3yo and 3yo year implies 448 days of ownership at $5/day = $2,560, at which point giving them to AJ will be free. If you GP a horse sooner than that, you're literally just paying $2,440 for the privilege of not looking at them. If you are not a SIMperior player and don't have custom barns, that may well be a price worth paying.

If you're are a SIMperior member, logic suggests you simply put these horses in a custom barn, ignore them forever save for periodic (bi-annual) gallops, and literally *do nothing*. If your stable is functional, your mares decent, and your luck good, you're betting that you can generate $640k of value from a group of 250 yearlings who initially gallop poorly.

TL/DR: it should cost something like $20,000 to GP a horse if we expect to slow down mass breeding of scrubs followed by mass GP'ing.

Edited to add: it's sad that the first post I've made on the forum in potentially 3-4 real years is explaining arithmetic to those agog over nothing. Collectively, I fear we'll never learn to evaluate things objectively.
Ken Lind
Sprinter

Post by Ken Lind »

Also the definition of "young horse" has changed. 4yos now cost money to GP.
Really? 4yo's as well?
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Lori Hamill wrote: 4 years ago
Nick Gilmore wrote: 4 years ago I miss read the original post, so it’s young horses that the rate goes up. I will assume 4 and up will remain the same, unless Emily would please correct me.
It's 5 year olds and up now, Nick, Em updated the FAQ's, Anything 4 and under will be $5,000.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11131
Lol, I guess that’s how much it’s effected me.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 years ago The easiest way to understand this is to simply tack ~$2,400 onto any stud fee you pay. If you're not willing to pay the stud fee + $2,400, don't breed the horse. For most stud fees that aren't bargain basement, that's trivial.

The math:
Foals are exempted from day rate, otherwise you pay $5/day/horse. To own a horse through its yearling, 2yo, 3yo and 3yo year implies 448 days of ownership at $5/day = $2,560, at which point giving them to AJ will be free. If you GP a horse sooner than that, you're literally just paying $2,440 for the privilege of not looking at them. If you are not a SIMperior player and don't have custom barns, that may well be a price worth paying.

If you're are a SIMperior member, logic suggests you simply put these horses in a custom barn, ignore them forever save for periodic (bi-annual) gallops, and literally *do nothing*. If your stable is functional, your mares decent, and your luck good, you're betting that you can generate $640k of value from a group of 250 yearlings who initially gallop poorly.

TL/DR: it should cost something like $20,000 to GP a horse if we expect to slow down mass breeding of scrubs followed by mass GP'ing.

Edited to add: it's sad that the first post I've made on the forum in potentially 3-4 real years is explaining arithmetic to those agog over nothing. Collectively, I fear we'll never learn to evaluate things objectively.
Thank you Eric and welcome back to the forum :). Just a note though, 448 days @ $5 per day = $2,240. I do think we pay an extra week during break so that could be where your figure was coming from but I also could be remembering that wrong. Either way, I now vote for $20k to GP a horse early and I love to see math posts :)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

let's go 10K =)

anyone my thoughts for this change, there is a lot of money in the game.
A lot more than there has ever been on avg.

more stakes races added every season. Purses increased on many stakes races.
Added player tracks with more stakes races.

The avg price of stewy horses has gone way done. This is due to 2 things, the 3 stewy cap per player and the the fact that she holds the entire crop in one very large auction instead of spread out in 3 separate ones.

So the reason for the cap per player and possibly the one very large auction is to spread out the stewy horses amongst all players in the game and not just the elite who have the most money.
Now more people have access to stewys, less go to the players with the most money.

Don't be surprised if there are other things added to the game that increase the daily cost to own a horse.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

J.r. Lewis wrote: 4 years ago
Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 years ago The easiest way to understand this is to simply tack ~$2,400 onto any stud fee you pay. If you're not willing to pay the stud fee + $2,400, don't breed the horse. For most stud fees that aren't bargain basement, that's trivial.

The math:

Thank you Eric and welcome back to the forum :). Just a note though, 448 days @ $5 per day = $2,240. I do think we pay an extra week during break so that could be where your figure was coming from but I also could be remembering that wrong. Either way, I now vote for $20k to GP a horse early and I love to see math posts :)
Always good to post a math post with poor arithmetic! Whoops!
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I agree with the increase in fee, but I HIGHLY doubt it will deter mass breeders since I am pretty sure every single one of them owns a farm and it’s nbd holding onto these horses for another year.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Or we could say every horse you own that hasn't raced in a season (racing age) or had a foal gets charged whether you have it at your own farm or not. Stashing 10000 horses at your farm isn't fixing anything
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Kent Saunders wrote: 4 years ago Or we could say every horse you own that hasn't raced in a season (racing age) or had a foal gets charged whether you have it at your own farm or not. Stashing 10000 horses at your farm isn't fixing anything
But I like my pensioned horses and don’t want to get rid of them!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I hate it. Just for the record.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

The math:

Welcome back to the madness! Also, agreed on the $20k/horse!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

As I see it farms will be of more importance.
I can retire and pension my 2 year old. Have him/her at my farm without any cost for three years before sending him/her to AJ. No real change as I see it from keeping them 2 extra years... Pensioned horses don't cost food (they eat from my pasture) and since I own the farm, there is no board.
Since no one else wrote this I am a little afraid that I am missing something here.
Am I?
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 4 years ago As I see it farms will be of more importance.
I can retire and pension my 2 year old. Have him/her at my farm without any cost for three years before sending him/her to AJ. No real change as I see it from keeping them 2 extra years... Pensioned horses don't cost food (they eat from my pasture) and since I own the farm, there is no board.
Since no one else wrote this I am a little afraid that I am missing something here.
Am I?
No, we just didn't want to make it obvious, Captain :)