Y53 AJ Rate

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Y53 AJ Rate

Post by Kent Saunders »

I have to admit I like the idea of tracking Ave earnings of mares bred vs horses raced
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 4 years ago I like having Eric back on the forums, he makes eloquent arguments and I can just say 'ditto'. That being said I vehemently disagree with changing it so it's 5+ to be sent away for free instead of 4+. This game is divided as Foal, Yearling, 2yr old, 3yr old and 4yr old and up. That's how the races go, and that's how the categories in your stable go. So why is the AJ requirement now 5? If you've had a horse sitting in your stable for 4 years you shouldn't have to be charged to send him away. At that point, it becomes more profitable for me to put him on the sales page for $1 and make my bad horse someone else's problem instead of putting him in AJ where he belongs; not really the more moral choice but I can see many players going that route instead of forking over the cash.
I think when this was first set up, it was meant to eventually encompass any horse being sent to AJ, so the first year it was for yearlings, the second it was 2yos and yearlings, the third it was 3yos, 2yos and yearlings, and then it stalled out there for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if next year it is 6yos and up.

As for the putting him up on the sales page, some people might still buy a horse for $1, but they'll know that if they get tired of him, they may be stuck with the $5k to send to AJ (or just park it as a pensioner on their farm - some people don't want that perceived clutter, others don't care). So, I don't know that you're as easily going to be able to get someone to take him off your hands. In addition, there are players who just want to see the horse gone.right.now, have plenty of money, and are just going to pay the $5k and poof the horse away rather than wait to see if the horse might move for $1.

In the grand scheme of coming up with ways to suck money out of the game, this seems relatively painless.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago In the grand scheme of coming up with ways to suck money out of the game, this seems relatively painless.
There's a way to say this that requires nearly a full page of typing, and a way to say this that requires a single sentence, and nobody that knows me has ever accused me of biasing towards the latter. Thank you for condensing my written monstrosity to one sentence - you win the brevity war! ;-)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Does anybody know what the current % rate of a horse improving with either a race under their belt or age currently is? Maybe if there was a better incentive of actually holding onto horses that aren't precocious, people would be happier with holding onto a horse and feel less inclined to dump them right when they first gallop as a yearling. I feel like the chance of them improving is ridiculously small and not even worth the wait, especially if we are supposed to keep them around and this is from somebody who breeds between 200-300 foals a year. Of my 2yos, I have 8 different career (chasers, I hope), 72 claimers, 35 solids, 39 productive from 242 2yos (64% productive or worse) (didn't put my 2 Steward breds in this number since I didn't breed them). Maybe 5 of those productive will improve to allowance, at best, and maybe 10 claimers will jump to solid lol. I know that that is still really decent numbers considering the allowance+ number but still... So, they will be pasture pets until I get tired of galloping them twice a year with hopes they will improve (and they won't).
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I don’t know what the chances of improvement are at the moment but gelding is now gonna give a bigger boost than before so that’s maybe and incentive to hold on to some of those horses and see if gelding then makes them better.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 years ago
  • Randomness is necessary to make sure that simply breeding the best to the best doesn't *always* produce a superstar, thus meaning that the only secret is falling backwards into that first good mare.
  • Randomness is, by definition, random, so you increase your chances of having a star by simply going crazy and breeding more horses.
  • Stud prices are way out of whack, and should theoretically be 3-4x what they are currently
  • Players are, generally, very bad at adjusting to this market pressure and increasing stud fees (because we see avg earnings per runner, not avg earnings per runner bred from a decent [star or blue hen] mare) ... that would be something like the CI in the real racing world (note: this is a computational thing and shouldn't be that hard to add)
This is the latest in a ~52-SIM year (and, by my math, ~22 calendar year) march towards creating an accessible, distributed game that people have the ability to play at all levels, whether that's brand new or 45-SIM-year veteran. Ironically, most of these changes are generally supported by the most well-off of players, resisted by the next levels down, and ultimately helpful towards creating a more equitable, competitive game.

P.S. We also have a history of actually damaging changes being quickly identified and rolled back.
Eric nails it yet again. Exactly why we need foal limits IMO. And a CI stat would be one of my top asks for 8.0, personally...
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I like you Laura S and don't mean any disrespect, but foal limits is a terrible idea imo. I have spent years selecting filly on my best mares and now have a ton of blue hen and star mares. Albeit, I have missed out on a ton of stallions doing this...

Foal limits would penalize me for playing the game in my own way and not being able to breed every star or hen that I have worked hard to get over the last few (real life) years is tasteless. I started with the same 100K everyone else did and putting foal limits on me (or anyone else) for being successful isn't right. Just because you don't like large barns, doesn't mean that I should have to be penalized and have to have a small and restrictive barn.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Randall Allen wrote: 4 years ago I like you Laura S and don't mean any disrespect, but foal limits is a terrible idea imo. I have spent years selecting filly on my best mares and now have a ton of blue hen and star mares. Albeit, I have missed out on a ton of stallions doing this...

Foal limits would penalize me for playing the game in my own way and not being able to breed every star or hen that I have worked hard to get over the last few (real life) years is tasteless. I started with the same 100K everyone else did and putting foal limits on me (or anyone else) for being successful isn't right. Just because you don't like large barns, doesn't mean that I should have to be penalized and have to have a small and restrictive barn.
Err, I meant the foal limits that are already in place :) the 120(/150/180) foals per stallion thing.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

My mistake Laura! I thought you mean restrict people on how many mares they could breed each year.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I did have a 5 year old DR gelding jump up to freak this year from stakes. Not a big jump but he was a very sad stakes so maybe he can actually win a NW2 now!

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=933492
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago
Randall Allen wrote: 4 years ago I like you Laura S and don't mean any disrespect, but foal limits is a terrible idea imo. I have spent years selecting filly on my best mares and now have a ton of blue hen and star mares. Albeit, I have missed out on a ton of stallions doing this...

Err, I meant the foal limits that are already in place :) the 120(/150/180) foals per stallion thing.
(I think it would only be fair to make it so Appys/Paints/Arabs/STBs could go to 180 too :P )
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dom Behan
Turf Router

Post by Dom Behan »

I guess I am just not Sim Savvy, pretty sure I read somewhere AJ had cut her 10K buy iag, to encourage taking on rejects????