GP Horse Sale

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

GP Horse Sale

Post by The Steward »

With the "Holiday Horses" on their way out, it is time for another round of Mixer/Harness Sales!

Rules: Yes, this is a Pay to Play Sale, but once you have done it you can sell your horse for SIM Money to another player if you so desire. Each player is allowed to buy ONE of these horses FROM ME. The horses will take about a week to generate all the requests, so please be patient.

We will be creating new, blank-pedigreed MIXER and HARNESS horses. They will all be 5 years old, unraced, and retired. You must specify the following: Name (of horse, not you), Gender, Breed (Not Thoroughbred), and Distance (Route/Sprint/Mid unless Harness obviously, NOT multi distance, you must pick one). You can contact through the game or through the Contact Us, please don't message me here in the forum. All horses will be generated with the EXACT SAME NUMBERS. This means the mares will be blue hens, and the stallions will be good hypoing, but obviously below the best of them (no Son of a Paints in this group!). This is a one-time offer that will not come again until these guys are all aging out of operation.

The Goal: Add another round of diverse pedigrees to filter out too much Visionary/Devon Castle/etc etc. This way you aren't chasing blindly after a horse in an auction, you get to actually pick your poison as it were!

Price: Each horse costs 45,000 Game Points. Whether you get them on the exchange or through normal means is up to you.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: GP Horse Sale

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Are you going to be limiting the amount sold for each breed/division? 🤔
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

So are we really putting another dagger into the mixer homebred stud market?

I feel like we havn’t even recovered from the holiday studs.

With no limit on the amount of studs being created and only having to put up 45k gp I feel like all current stud owners will be taking a major hit here.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

While we are on this subject what is the deadline to place our requests before offer ends?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago Are you going to be limiting the amount sold for each breed/division? 🤔
This is my question too!
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Pete Vella wrote: 2 years ago While we are on this subject what is the deadline to place our requests before offer ends?
Good question! Let's say Friday morning at 8am Pacific.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago Are you going to be limiting the amount sold for each breed/division? 🤔
I'm really not that worried about it. So far 6 requests, 6 different divisions. If I thought it was going to be like 20 in one division I would be worried, but I think it will be like... 3. Or 4.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Will the stallion be equally good in crossbreeding? For example, will a QH mid be just as good as a paint mid stallion? :)
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Pete Vella wrote: 2 years ago So are we really putting another dagger into the mixer homebred stud market?

I feel like we havn’t even recovered from the holiday studs.

With no limit on the amount of studs being created and only having to put up 45k gp I feel like all current stud owners will be taking a major hit here.
Yea I was a little disappointed to see this as well. Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed having holiday sires but it's also been disappointing seeing my homebred stallions disappoint so. One of the big perks of mixers is there are no stewardbreds so your homebred horses can be competitive on the race track, but if we're always going to have magic game created stallions that definitely takes some of that perk away on the breeding side. My only hope is with the mention that they won't be the top hypoing horses maybe they won't be quite as dominant as the last round were.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

How good will these stallion be compared to the OG Holiday stallions?

Why are they being sold for 4,500GP (~SIM$50,000) per year of expected breeding life instead of being Steward-owned and then leased for, say, 20,000GP (or 45,000GP, or 100,000GP) per year?

Why will they all have the same numbers when some divisions are stronger than others (eg. OG Holiday Stallions all had the same numbers as one another too from memory, yet the Pacers were Tier 2 while weaker divisions had them as Tier 1 with no homebred stallions even close enough to count as Tier 2 or 3)? Why will they not instead be created to be statistically-identical to the, say, 10th-best current stallion in the division?

Having had the Holiday stallions to diversify pedigrees, why do we need more? If the Holiday stallions didn't fix pedigree diversity concerns, why will these stallions do so? (If the answer to that first question is "We want money", I'm cool with it. And the second question is moot.)
The Steward wrote: 2 years ago I'm really not that worried about it. So far 6 requests, 6 different divisions.
In 2 hours? I wouldn't expect a linear 3 requests per hour until the deadline, but I would be a touch worried. Surely anyone with any sense will be doing everything they can to get at least one of these stallions (I know I'll be getting one and then looking to spend every last cent I have to pick up more on the secondary market).

SIM$500,000 for a horse which will produce multiple times that either in value or in quick profits when you sell it to me (or probably someone richer than me) is a no-brainer for everyone who can afford it.

---------------------

I mean no disrespect Em, and I know you need to strike a balance between making money via GP and keeping the game enjoyable for everyone. But the SIM is like a delicately-balanced ecosystem. Heavy-handed moves like introducing new stallions (or a new species to the area) can mess things up.

The path to general "success" in the SIM (at least as I see it; we can of course debate definitions of success until the cows come home) is to race a bunch of bad horses, save your pennies, buy a Stewbred colt, hope it's a good one that becomes a good stallion, then not have to bother racing bad horses anymore because stallion income pays for more Stewbreds, some of which become future stallions, and so on.

I don't think I'm alone in seeing that path to success, with the alternative to buying Stewbreds (which I personally haven't managed to do in quite a few years now) being breeding your own future stallion prospects with outcross pedigrees to the dominant current lines.

A wholesale dumping of brand new stallions which push our current "Tier 2 but cool outcross pedigree" stallions down to "Unfit for general use; the new "Holiday" stallions are also outcrosses and are better" kneecaps this strategy. It also provides a disincentive to us as breeders caring about inbreeding; why go out of our way to breed outcross stock when Em will just airdrop a bunch of new stallions when we inbreed ourselves into a corner?

--------------------

Players owning non-playerbred stallions - regardless of source or cost - is something that doesn't sit well with me. If inbreeding is the problem, outcross Steward-owned GP stallions are the solution (it's a bonus that this provides a GP drain). If needing to sell GP to make USD is the problem, selling Holiday-type stallions is a possible solution but should be heavily capped and highly-priced to have as little impact as possible on the "ecosystem" of gameplay/breeding.

New Holiday stallions with no cap and at such cheap prices (if these stallions are similar numbers-wise to the OG Holiday stallions, and if there are only "like... 3. Or 4" per division, they'll be worth tens of millions to their owners over their lifetime) doesn't seem like the best idea. One per division, sold by auction, with a reserve of 400,000GP, sounds like a better idea.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Just to be clear on the below, do you want the gender of the horse, or our gender? Asking for a friend!

Name (of horse, not you), Gender, Breed (Not Thoroughbred), and Distance
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I totally agree with virtually all of Michael's (and Pete's and Tammy's) comments, but I also already have my request in. When you are sitting at the table you have to play the cards you are dealt.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I agree with Michael's post and the other comments made here. I also am trying to figure out why QH stallions will be priced the same as the other divisions, when they are cross-breedable and have more earning potential on that basis alone. I'll echo Michael's suggestion about if this is going to be a thing, either an auction or the game retaining ownership may be a better way to go.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I also agree with Michael's points. The game should retain ownership.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

To throw some numbers in to support the point that these game created horses have made it difficult for homebred studs to compete in at least some divisions, 11 of the last 13 paint sprint race steward's cup winners have been sired by game created stallions. Most being holiday sires but there was some Dashin JJ in there.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*