SIMperior Edge Poll

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What Should Happen to the Edge?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Kill It Dead for Revival Later (But post studs for this year)
69%
Do an even more truncated version with just stallions
17%
Raise the price of SIMperior and write the Edge, I love it
5%
This does not affect me at all
10%

Total votes: 84

The Steward
Hall of Fame

SIMperior Edge Poll

Post by The Steward »

Hello all,

The SIMperior Edge has been part of SIMperior since Year 21, but it has become a massive thorn in my side. Even with significant help, it is ALWAYS late, often thrown together in a rush, and I'm not entirely sure how much people are getting out of it. Combined with pulling teeth to get enough decent Mixers to profile (often we are profiling Mixers we don't actually think are good stallions because nothing has a headshot, not to mention Chasers so rarely get their due for the same reason), AND the fact that there has been discussion about raising the price for SIMperior (which hasn't been raised in what, a real decade?) maybe it's time for the Edge to die (in lieu of a price increase).

I would be more than happy to post the names of the stallions who were scheduled to be featured this year, in hopes they will get a little bump. I'm honestly not sure people read it BEYOND checking the names of the 2 horses profiled/hunt for their own name.

Possibly once the kids are in school again the Edge can be revived in a more exciting format, but it's killing me.... so, poll time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Re: SIMperior Edge Poll

Post by Xander Zone »

All I use it for is the breeding suggestions to be honest so maybe a monthly Em breeding tips or something instead
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I like to see the answers to the questions asked of other players and the rising stars, but if it's a division I'm not involved in, I don't pay a ton of attention to it. Maybe instead, I'll reach out to players and ask questions and post short articles (probably not, I can't find time to do anything lately, but if things slow down, I'm all over this).
Robert MicJee
Derby Contender

Post by Robert MicJee »

Definitely now that there's finally a chance I might accomplish something worthy of the Edge - kill it lol!
FWIW - i do enjoy the breeding info, but I also dislike the Canadian dollar exchange rate which makes SIMPERIOR pricier for me since I do buy most of my game points!
MicJee's Studs
Damascus Defender (TS) $20,000
That One Time (TR) $20,000
Onward Horse (Pacer) $5,000
Throwing Shadows (App Sprint) $8,000
Directing Perfect (TR) $5,000
Double Bass (Arabian Sprint) $5,000
Always Famous (SC) $5,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

I'm imagining everyone running for their dictionaries ... What does 'truncated' mean?
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

I think it's something that has a great deal of potential but is perhaps difficult to find new material for after so many seasons; I typically look forward to it, but sometimes the questions don't seem to have much public interest value, or stud features are just that - features with info about a stud's pedigree and race record, but perhaps not so much with regards to the behind-the-curtain "edge" that one might expect (sometimes that extra tidbit is there and then it's fantastic).

I love the Edge as a concept. I think it's better that it goes on hold until you have the time and energy, and perhaps some fresh material built up, for it to be able to live up to that potential, and be enjoyable rather than a hassle to write.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Kelley Wachter
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelley Wachter »

I love The Edge but i see how it definitely zaps your time (and enthusiasm). I think maybe a quarterly /semiannual/break only version featuring a few studs-- "young" WOW stallions and older stallions that don't want to be missed out on before they pension (last call y'all)and then a brief listing "highlight" of horses or players to watch -- could that make your life easier?
Even just an Em's Breeding Advice editorial that pops up within the last few weeks of the year for the end of season splurge.

Or trash the Edge to save your energy for Daybreak 😉
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

I actually do not read the Edge as I rarely have time to

Inca
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I usually forget to even read it 😅😬 I might open it to see the stallions and read the ask the expert, but it’s not something I religiously read.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I'd say kill it dead and don't worry about it but that's not a choice. I would only think about bringing it back if for some crazy reason your time frees up ongoing. I admit sometimes I get some decent info from it and read it every week. But if your time is being sapped doing it then stop IMO
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I like what Kelley said about wow young stallions and don’t miss, soon to pension old ones. As much as I look forward to the Edge, this info could be posted in a breeding thread, at your leisure.

I hate to say it, but considering the economics of the day, you should probably raise Simperior, irregardless.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I do like it when you mention stallions who didn’t have great first seasons but are actually better than their number show
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I really only read the TB stallion feature and only read it if its a stallion that I wasn't already using. Like if Dave Matthews Band was featured, I didnt read it (I dont know if he was LOL I am just using him) because he was just a '... you don't say? I had no idea that he was already siring 20% freaks...*end sarcasm here*) Captain obvious type stallions just were a waste of time for me cus I wanted to find underdogs, if that makes sense. My favorite version of the edge was Y20s/Y30s when we had Ask Em Anything like questions and you gave us 'insider info' that people didn't know about training or how horses were programmed, etc.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

In large parts I feel similar to what Shannon Hunt described above.
I always looked forward to read the Edge, I have saved them all since my first simperior.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I didn't vote because my option isn't up there lol

I really agree with what Kelley said

I do read every bit of the edge with exception being the mixer stallion (I don't breed mixers, yet) although sometimes I still skim that part

I enjoy everything you write though 8-)

I'd much rather the edge get cut drastically to an every couple months (or even longer) thing than have the price go up, but a part of me would hate to see it go all together
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~