SIMperior Edge Poll

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What Should Happen to the Edge?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Kill It Dead for Revival Later (But post studs for this year)
69%
Do an even more truncated version with just stallions
17%
Raise the price of SIMperior and write the Edge, I love it
5%
This does not affect me at all
10%

Total votes: 84

Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Re: SIMperior Edge Poll

Post by Mike Eaton »

I kind of like the idea of a once a month Steward letter that includes an interview or two, a stallion or two, and babies to watch...
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,
bred to go long but quick to plz

18 : 10 - 1 - 0 LTE $2,227,500
Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Seek Thrills Handicap (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Cleo Patra wrote: 2 years ago
Nick Gilmore wrote: 2 years ago
Cleo, I’m not a computer nerd by any stretch of the imagination, but what you describe sounds like more work than the Edge…sorry.
Actually coding wise most of it is basic, and the rest already exists in some form on the site so you could just repurpose existing code. One day of coding to set it up and then it would run itself, all automatically with no work for Em 😄 that’s why I suggested it. Value adding to the game without creating huge extra work.
Just shows you what a computer dummy I am. My apologies Cleo.
David Gray
Miler

Post by David Gray »

so am I clear about what is being proposed? You want us to pay more for simperior and get less? Doesnt seem appealing to me. How about if we get less we get a discount on simperior.
"Pay attention as David Gray is building a nice stable of runners." Howard Cake
Hope Bentley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Hope Bentley »

I have always looked forward to reading the edge every week! With my time difference I usually look for it too early, but I always look forward to it when its almost the exact time for it to arrive. I particularly enjoy reading the interviews on other players. As far as trying to find mixer stallions worthy enough with headshots, why can’t sometimes at least for mixers sake, do a write for the stallions that have no headshot. But yes there are some that really are in need of a headshot such as Inspired Jet Flash, EC Isn’t Enough, Imperial Eagle, Bigg Daddy, are just some that I can think of that I know are very good horses with none. None of the hard work gone into the edge goes to waste in my view. I hope it may continue - and that more mixers will get their headshots to make it that bit easier :) -

In saying all that -< I would only want to pay more if the secrets as in what type of lines of mares should go to the profiled stallions and all those types of details ->as I think I am right but this type of info has not come for some time and only on and off - but would prefer that there be no price rise of course.. if no price rise maybe just do a shorter version but with the information I just mentioned. - Id cut out the up coming horses weekly and maybe do a couple horses per sim year or something - any week. And some weeks if your really struggling just do one stallion - alternate from a TB to a mixer - (just til you get the time back to do it as its always been done or get someone else to help more)
I hope that something can work out to suit you better and to keep all those wanting the simperior too. Although going off the vote, many say to get rid of it! I just don’t get that. But for your sake do what you need to - but I think if the edge goes there would be something money worthy in its place?
Last edited by Hope Bentley 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Stallions
*Silver Kitty Cat
*Macha Taima
*Rockin to the Stars & more
Past Stallions
*Black Wolf *Blue Montana Gold *Fire Fire *Streakin Goldstrip
*Bear Encounter *Blood Red Sun *Held High and other greats
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

David Gray wrote: 2 years ago so am I clear about what is being proposed? You want us to pay more for simperior and get less? Doesnt seem appealing to me. How about if we get less we get a discount on simperior.
If the edge goes away simperior cost will stay the same. If the edge stays it likely will be increased. It is not being suggested that the edge be taken away AND the cost increased

The cost of simperior has not been raised in as long as I've been a member (I forget exactly when I first got simperior but I'd say it was within a year or 2 of me joining the sim which was back in 2008. The game points we use to get simperior help fund running this game. Pretty much everything else in life has gone up in cost since 2008 (without getting anything extra for that price increase) so at some point it shouldn't be shocking if simperior goes up as well even if we don't get something more. So I see no issue with saying well we'll keep the cost the same but are taking out this one small part of it. Don't get me wrong I like the edge but I'm fairly certain no one is getting simperior just for the edge and if they are they can of course choose to stop getting it.

Also how have I been playing the sim for 10+ real life years
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Nena Olson wrote: 2 years ago I really only read the TB stallion feature and only read it if its a stallion that I wasn't already using. Like if Dave Matthews Band was featured, I didnt read it (I dont know if he was LOL I am just using him) because he was just a '... you don't say? I had no idea that he was already siring 20% freaks...*end sarcasm here*) Captain obvious type stallions just were a waste of time for me cus I wanted to find underdogs, if that makes sense. My favorite version of the edge was Y20s/Y30s when we had Ask Em Anything like questions and you gave us 'insider info' that people didn't know about training or how horses were programmed, etc.
*Start sarcasm here* I don't read the Edge just because I know that Dave Matthews Band will never be featured. Just kidding,

I read the Edge. I generally supported the featured TB with a mare or two at the time of the weekly Edge. I would copy / paste the Edge TB sire info into the notes of one of the foals. It was interesting after gallops the following year, to reread The Stewards comments and see just how much I misunderstood or misinterpreted her messages in plain English.

jX
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

There are a number of competent authors who play this game and that may have time to take over your duties on the Edge.

Also it wouldn't necessarily have to be a weekly publication?

Guest authors would be another option? With their own format apart from the one we are used to.

Change is inevitable. We can roll with it :)
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Jon Xett wrote: 2 years ago
Nena Olson wrote: 2 years ago I really only read the TB stallion feature and only read it if its a stallion that I wasn't already using. Like if Dave Matthews Band was featured, I didnt read it (I dont know if he was LOL I am just using him) because he was just a '... you don't say? I had no idea that he was already siring 20% freaks...*end sarcasm here*) Captain obvious type stallions just were a waste of time for me cus I wanted to find underdogs, if that makes sense. My favorite version of the edge was Y20s/Y30s when we had Ask Em Anything like questions and you gave us 'insider info' that people didn't know about training or how horses were programmed, etc.
*Start sarcasm here* I don't read the Edge just because I know that Dave Matthews Band will never be featured. Just kidding,

I read the Edge. I generally supported the featured TB with a mare or two at the time of the weekly Edge. I would copy / paste the Edge TB sire info into the notes of one of the foals. It was interesting after gallops the following year, to reread The Stewards comments and see just how much I misunderstood or misinterpreted her messages in plain English.

jX
He is the first super talented sire that is like 'duh make sure to use him' that I wouldn't need the Edge to find that popped into my head LOL
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

I've always read the Edge, start to finish, even when the featured horses weren't in a discipline (milers, for instance) or a breed (Appys, for instance) that I don't work with anymore. I never know when that info may still become valuable to me in the future, because you sometimes don't know where the SIM will take you. I'm also always curious to see what other players have to say about themselves or their style of play in Ask the Experts, and the Rising Stars is helpful as well. I understand the burnout factor and the need for a break. I'm all for letting Em have the time off until she feels passionate about it again.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I'd say stop until the day comes it looks less like a chore and more of something fun to do. If it never does, it never does. I would guess those who involve themselves in fewer divisions or breeds, weeks can go by that have little relevance. Then just the interview and maybe the rising star if there is something there.. Interesting thing for me about "rising" stars is that the 3 or 4 times they were mentioned they never did anything close to the ones who actually became stars.. but thats my own experience. I think a weekly cap of div 1 winners in each division is probably programmable and interesting to note, after all this is just a game of words.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Thanks all for the input. It will be on hiatus for at least this year.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG