Stewardbreds - Old School Players Vs the New School

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Re: Stewardbreds - Old School Players Vs the New School

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago Image
I've played Doc (played doctor), been Dopey (according to my wife), Sleepy (all the time these days), Grumpy (again according to my wife), Bashful (in my youth), Sneezy ( too loud according to my wife) and Happy (according to my post)!

Snow White (never)

PS Mae West once said "I use to be Snow White, but I drifted."
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Trastevere Peru
Miler

Post by Trastevere Peru »

Keith Maidlow wrote: 5 years ago So what I'm seeing is that most of us who have been around for awhile are pretty happy with the way we play the game. Some like pinhooking almost more than racing, some like quantity over quality, some like quality over quantity and some are fortunate to have both quantity and quality. All of those results require individual game play that has developed over the years and, in general, has only changed enough to keep up with the improvements put into the game.

For me, my game play changed from quantity to quality when I was no longer willing to put in the time to keep track of my stable (maybe 250 horses now about 50). To get the quality I wanted it was "necessary" to buy lower quality horses and sell for more money to get middle quality horses to either race or sell to eventually get higher quality to mostly race but sometimes sell.

I've sold freaks, bought freaks, had one turn into a freak, and kept freaks. It all has depended on my gut or what I felt I needed at the time. I've sold horses I wish I had back, sold horses that I was fortunate to get out from under, bought horses that have been terrific to have and bought horses that have been busts.

In the end there is no, A+B=C equation (Always+Buy=Cash :lol: ) that works for everyone or works every time. If I am having fun after 11 real years of game play, than my way of playing is great for me. I am amazed at the high level of play in this game and get very excite when, once in awhile, I can compete at that level.

Arewehavingfunyet
Agree at all ¡¡¡¡
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

well done Pete, new players should keep their SB instead of flogging them off and blowing their money on breeding they know nothing about
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Well, as the horses that made me in the game were not the stew breds (not that I don't love my stew breds), if a new player wants to snap up a low price stew bred and the pinhook it so they have money for QH or trotters or whatever, I think it makes perfect sense. They don't need to spend that money on breeding if they have an interest in another division and they need funds.

My first stew purchase was nothing special at all (after I traded him I was able to claim him back for 8K), and as I also knew nothing at all about how to race him, I would have been WAY better off if I'd pinhooked him.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Te Akau Downs wrote: 5 years ago well done Pete, new players should keep their SB instead of flogging them off and blowing their money on breeding they know nothing about
Agreed, but not all money gained by flogging SBs ;) is used for breeding. I have sold one SB then purchased several non-Steward bred stakes gallopers with that cash. I know SB stakes horses are generally better than the general population's stakes horses but these all were two year olds ready to run versus a yearling I had to wait a SIM year to run. At that time this worked for me. At another time with different circumstances I might not do that. Depends on my mood. 8-)
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Keith Maidlow wrote: 5 years ago
Te Akau Downs wrote: 5 years ago well done Pete, new players should keep their SB instead of flogging them off and blowing their money on breeding they know nothing about
Agreed, but not all money gained by flogging SBs ;) is used for breeding. I have sold one SB then purchased several non-Steward bred stakes gallopers with that cash. I know SB stakes horses are generally better than the general population's stakes horses but these all were two year olds ready to run versus a yearling I had to wait a SIM year to run. At that time this worked for me. At another time with different circumstances I might not do that. Depends on my mood. 8-)
These are my thoughts as well Keith. What is one of the first things we tell new players in chat? Don’t buy yearlings. Yes stewies are shiny fancy yearlings but by buying them you’re tying up your money in one horse when that money could be used many other ways to start building a foundation. So especially newer players are slowing down their barn growth by buying stewies, flipping them for cash can work sometimes, so long as someone actually wants to buy it (harder with the 3 Stewie limits) and they use the cash smartly.

But I’m also on the side of if you get one for cheaper, and can make it work financially, keep it!! They are super fun (and stressful) to campaign!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Eric Hamme
Classic Contender

Post by Eric Hamme »

I might have to pinhook after these foal options. I was just a little, uh, aggressive in bidding. Whoops.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Eric Hamme wrote: 5 years ago I might have to pinhook after these foal options. I was just a little, uh, aggressive in bidding. Whoops.

Don’t worry, many people haven’t put their real bids in yet :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Mike Springer
Classic Contender

Post by Mike Springer »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
WHO YOU CALLIN' QUESTIONABLE!!!!

I'm honestly surprised the 5 allowances in that last sale haven't been made public with crying faces yet.
I haven't galloped the 2 fillies I won, but with a name like Nowhere Near Ready I'm going to guess that I have one of the allowances. I was going to pin hook both fillies after I bought them, but then forgot to tell everyone.
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Ronnie Dee wrote: 5 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 5 years ago Hijacked, thanks!
Returning to the thread focus:
If I was a "new school player" and ended up with a SB dirt router colt, I would NOT GALLOP the colt and then sell the colt for a significant profit. Essentially, I would be betting on the colt being a stakes galloper because this is highly likely. By not galloping before selling, there would be a number of buyers with big bankrolls (and SB slots open) who would be willing to pay an excessive premium for the very slim chance that they get extremely lucky and end up with a SB freak.

Of course, with the large cash infusion, the new school player could then purchase a number of moderately price Vella-bred stakes gallopers. :D
I had this idea too, but... buying a steward bred and not galloping it is just... not possible. I need to know!

After these auctions the steward answered a lot of gallop questions in the chat which means that the seller might know even if the horse is not galloped...
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago If I got a random DR with a suspect pedigree from the TBS sale, I'd sell that thing without a moment of hesitation, new player or not.
To me, all steward bred DRs are more or less random with suspect pedigrees... I keep them all and race them and hope for the best...
Polk Buffalo Stallions

and many more...
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Fern Thompson wrote: 5 years ago I've only owned two Stewardbreds- https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=992514
and https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=822432

I bought Sun Scarred for $478,955 and sold him for twice that amount. He still has yet to break his maiden.
Sudden Sword was purchased for $1,500,000, and I bought him for 2 million. You can see for yourself how he has done.

In spite of my experiences with the above horses, if I ever buy another Stewardbred, I will keep him or her.
There is no doubt that what many people are saying is true-you sell one for a lot of cash, and then what? Honestly, I am no better off with the money that I made from the sales. I didn't buy better, greater horses, I didn't do any spectacular breeding, and I'm still always low on money. What was my point?

I don't know.
I agree! But I don´t really know what I agree on.. :)
(sorry, I just thought the ending of your post invited for this type of comment)
Polk Buffalo Stallions

and many more...
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I have spent a few seasons buying 1$ maiden horses. Most horses break their maiden eventually if they have the correct equipment. (exception TB dirt and turf routers). These horses cost 1$ and make on average well above 10k.. Even after subtracting shipping and eating and lodging they are a sure way to profit.
Not even the best stewardbred (won at a 1million$ underbid) can compare with the total earnings of 1 million 1$ horses...

But if time is added to the equation, it becomes different. Wisely bought Steward breds probably make better profit per time spent...

As I see it, Stewardbreds come at a higher risk, they dont have as high ROI (return of investment) on average, but they are more fun to own, race and enter and they dont make me fall asleep at work after entering heaps of claimers-productives.

To me buying stewardbreds or other good horses is a "reward" from diligently keeping those maiden claimers running year after year in small fields.

I would never sell a stewardbred to make quick money..
A stewardbred is a gold ingot that I occasionally can afford using my salary from everyday work.

I try being an alchemist too, but trying to create gold is rarely profitable... if I just find the right formula... soon... very soon...

I think that was my point.
Polk Buffalo Stallions

and many more...