TBS Zero Year Old Auction

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Re: TBS Zero Year Old Auction

Post by Jon Xett »

Dan Kauffman wrote: 5 years ago So, I finally got my first Steward-bred in an auction ... and got to name him, to boot!

EDIT: He has a twin, but I got outbid for him.
Way to go Dan! I like the clever name and a Turf Route type to boot! Can't wait to here about the supersonic Freak in your future articles. jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Amy Bahama wrote: 5 years ago I usually go by names...lame, I know.
Named Steward bred are a whole other level of complexity. In a way I liked non-named foals as it removed my angst trying to figure out if the name was code for 'way cool horse, please buy me'. But no named horses made for a frantic end of auction for me because as I got out bid, I had to remember the sire or dam name to sort then to click then to bid. With named horses it seemed easier to sort and bid back. jX
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Jon Xett wrote: 5 years ago Can't wait to here about the supersonic Freak in your future articles. jX
Yeah, unfortunately, probably not anytime soon. My life is a flaming disaster right now. (OK, it's not that bad. Wonderful wife. Incredible 4-year-old son. Really craptastic work situation. But I'll stop the derail here.)
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

The only letdown with the foal auction is we have to wait forever to gallop. The other auctions provide more instant gratification.

As for strategy, having lived through the days where the auction would lock up with three minutes to go, I always make sure I have bids in at least 15 minutes out, usually much further than that. As for strategy, it sort of depends on (i) the state of my bankroll, and (ii) how much I want a particular horse. If I really want one or two horses, I bid fairly early, so that other players know they're going to need to go high or make a plan B. I don't want to snipe at the end, so that the other bidder has no change to react and come up with an alternative. I remember when I was a poorer player, it helped to know who the richest players were gunning for, so I could cross them off my list.

If I don't have a strong preference or my bankroll is on the lower end of its range, then I tend to bid later and scatter around, trying to find value. Again, though, I'll have my main bids in before that 15 minute mark, although I may have one or two backup bids queued up in case I get outbid on one or more of those picks.

I would take a different approach if my bankroll was smaller. I'll add that the three horse limit makes me more likely to go higher on the ones I really want. Everyone plays the game differently, but to me, the point of my bankroll is to let me buy horses - the real value in the game to me is the horses themselves, not my SIM cash balance.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago - the real value in the game to me is the horses themselves, not my SIM cash balance.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Can we gallop our foal purchases 😀
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Pretty please
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Laura, I’ve always admired the way you go after what you want regardless the cost! I agree the horses themselves are the higher value.

In the old system of auctions, it was the greatest adrenaline rush at the end to see what you got, if any! With proxy bidding I put down what I’m willing to pay and left it at that. So I wasn’t around for the end of tonight’s auction. To my surprise, I got this one on an underbid of $1 million. Last time I looked he was somewhere around $1.8 million. Does anybody have an idea what his high bid was? Mmm and no I won’t be pinhooking, sorry. ;)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago - the real value in the game to me is the horses themselves, not my SIM cash balance.
100%! I rarely ever have a huge balance, I saved money for the yearling auctions but then turned around and bought a 2yo instead. Then BAM two more auctions so I frantically had to come up with some cash quick :lol:

All the money I earn goes back into my barn, whether it’s leasing mares, breedings, or buying horses. As soon as I get some cash I’m on the prowl ❤️ (Although I still kinda suck at it, but every mistake I learn something else to watch out for!)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 5 years ago Laura, I’ve always admired the way you go after what you want regardless the cost! I agree the horses themselves are the higher value.

In the old system of auctions, it was the greatest adrenaline rush at the end to see what you got, if any! With proxy bidding I put down what I’m willing to pay and left it at that. So I wasn’t around for the end of tonight’s auction. To my surprise, I got this one on an underbid of $1 million. Last time I looked he was somewhere around $1.8 million. Does anybody have an idea what his high bid was? Mmm and no I won’t be pinhooking, sorry. ;)
Trastavere had it at 1.8 and i wanted the underbid!! lol
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Sorry Tim. You jumped the price up and I figured I had no shot, but I am very happy to get him.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 5 years ago Sorry Tim. You jumped the price up and I figured I had no shot, but I am very happy to get him.
Oh no problem, I'm pleased with my lot. I think you got a steal, best of luck!
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago As for strategy, having lived through the days where the auction would lock up with three minutes to go, I always make sure I have bids in at least 15 minutes out, usually much further than that. As for strategy, it sort of depends on (i) the state of my bankroll, and (ii) how much I want a particular horse. If I really want one or two horses, I bid fairly early, so that other players know they're going to need to go high or make a plan B. I don't want to snipe at the end, so that the other bidder has no change to react and come up with an alternative. I remember when I was a poorer player, it helped to know who the richest players were gunning for, so I could cross them off my list.
And here I was thinking your strategy was... Oh I like those, just drop $15m on each and walk away.
Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago If I don't have a strong preference or my bankroll is on the lower end of its range, then I tend to bid later and scatter around, trying to find value. Again, though, I'll have my main bids in before that 15 minute mark, although I may have one or two backup bids queued up in case I get outbid on one or more of those picks.
As one that earned $42m racing last season, I assume your lower end is $50m?
Laura Ferguson wrote: 5 years ago the real value in the game to me is the horses themselves, not my SIM cash balance.
I'd agree, only it takes Sim cash or ***kissing to get those better horses. Trash is a dime a dozen and still over priced.

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

The end range balance should be somewhere close to zero, if the strategy is the horses are far more important than the SIMCash balance.

Given that, Laura could bid a lot more more than 15 mill and walk away.

The only exception would be if auctions were coming back to back to back, like these three are this week and next.

Then she would set her end range a bit higher, in order to have money for the next two auctions.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Interesting subject.
I dont have enough money to win two foals..
1. I enter a few very early bids to be able to follow the best foals on my "my bids" list.
2, I bid more or less randomly just to get a feel for it. They might end up being underbids (but this is just not going to happen)...
3. At the end there are so many people going for the cheapest horses, They are all blue and will end up having last second bids.
4. I pick a horse just above this "blue field" and keep my fingers crossed.
5. I pick another horse above the "blue field" and place a bid at the last second. Two things can happen. 5a. I cant afford it..which hopefully means that I got horse 4. 5b Someone made a last second bid on my first pick, I still have a chance to get this substitute pick...

How do I pick a horse at 4.? Well, if I find something else than Dirt Router I go for that. Otherwise I guess a cool name will do...
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...