Newer Player Auction

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Newer Player Auction

Post by Gavin Guile »

Just like the rule changes to partnerships that people used to circumvent the steward limits, if people have a problem with the players pinhooking the horses in this auction then there should be a rule change. As it stands right now I pinhooked the filly I won, I paid more for it then I did for a filly in the normal auction two years ago. People can obtain stewardbreds if they are patient and save. I don’t care what anyone else does, I play within the rules and do what I think is best for me and my goals in the game.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago So we restricted horses to a special group of players so they have a fighting chance to get nice horses in their barn.

Not even 24 hours after the auction I have already seen two pinhook forum posts.

I understand someone should be able to to what they want with the a horse they purchase, but was that really the intent of a newer player restricted auction?

I wish these horses would have been restricted to only being purchasable from that restricted group of players so they could not be pinhooked to vets.

:roll:
No one could have seen this coming Pete.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago So after you've taken advantage of the situation you want to stop anyone else doing the same.
I'm in chase now so I have to act like a POS, that's how it works
You'll have to explain that?
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Durzo Blint wrote: 4 years ago I am not pinhooking - I said I am unsure of the best course of action.

I’m hoping she can actually be a DM filly and can also make her money in the shed
That was my bad, for some reason I thought your’s was the first one up 🤔 must have been my poor sleep
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

I try to stay quiet and a bit under the radar. Im a pretty nice person who tries to go out of their way to help others. No drama, crazy quibbles, stupid crap, I don’t beg for help, never will. Right now as an intermediate player I kinda resent the statements of “since your intermediate you must have better horses”. I really don’t think I do. I have rarely won a stakes, hell I rarely win a race. I don’t get that grand of results when breeding. Heck I was overjoyed when my allowance breeding average went up. I watch every penny to keep my barn going and will openly admit I have bought game points to convert to cash to do breedings and keep my stable afloat. Do I mismanage my stable? Probably, because this is still newer and there’s tons we still don’t know. I have no plans to sell off the one I won in this auction. This is a foundation element for my barn that I won’t give up for any of the foreseeable future.

Intermediate is still pretty dang new and comes with the added costs of more advanced players. We don’t have special parks to race at limited to our levels. We no longer have new player sales pages of dispersals to give that little boost in the barn. It’s compete with everyone at the dispersal auctions, which honestly has some of the same frustration levels in watching horses go rapidly out of budget as a stew does when players with bank see something they want.

Sorry these 15 dirt routes gave angst to other players. Dirt route aka the hardest division, like I really have a shot there but I’ll try still. I’m thrilled to have Podkayne and hopes she helps out in the long run. Which it is. Because this is a 1year old who won’t hit the track til mid season next year. For now she is a barn drain that I will hoard because she is pretty and shiny and has the golden “steward bred” label. 15 is a small number of horses compared to the main stew auctions. None were from big named lusted after studs. Two or three have some pretty awesome siblings, some have lovely broodmare lines. All have stakes winning sires. The best of this seasons stews in all likelyhood were not in this auction.

So thanks for killing my buzz of winning my first stew bred. No she’s not for sale. Yes I will be fruitlessly underbidding at the main auctions. I know I won’t win but after some of these comments I’m all for driving up what you’ll pay for yours.
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

Noel Collins wrote: 4 years ago I try to stay quiet and a bit under the radar. Im a pretty nice person who tries to go out of their way to help others. No drama, crazy quibbles, stupid crap, I don’t beg for help, never will. Right now as an intermediate player I kinda resent the statements of “since your intermediate you must have better horses”. I really don’t think I do. I have rarely won a stakes, hell I rarely win a race. I don’t get that grand of results when breeding. Heck I was overjoyed when my allowance breeding average went up. I watch every penny to keep my barn going and will openly admit I have bought game points to convert to cash to do breedings and keep my stable afloat. Do I mismanage my stable? Probably, because this is still newer and there’s tons we still don’t know. I have no plans to sell off the one I won in this auction. This is a foundation element for my barn that I won’t give up for any of the foreseeable future.

Intermediate is still pretty dang new and comes with the added costs of more advanced players. We don’t have special parks to race at limited to our levels. We no longer have new player sales pages of dispersals to give that little boost in the barn. It’s compete with everyone at the dispersal auctions, which honestly has some of the same frustration levels in watching horses go rapidly out of budget as a stew does when players with bank see something they want.

Sorry these 15 dirt routes gave angst to other players. Dirt route aka the hardest division, like I really have a shot there but I’ll try still. I’m thrilled to have Podkayne and hopes she helps out in the long run. Which it is. Because this is a 1year old who won’t hit the track til mid season next year. For now she is a barn drain that I will hoard because she is pretty and shiny and has the golden “steward bred” label. 15 is a small number of horses compared to the main stew auctions. None were from big named lusted after studs. Two or three have some pretty awesome siblings, some have lovely broodmare lines. All have stakes winning sires. The best of this seasons stews in all likelyhood were not in this auction.

So thanks for killing my buzz of winning my first stew bred. No she’s not for sale. Yes I will be fruitlessly underbidding at the main auctions. I know I won’t win but after some of these comments I’m all for driving up what you’ll pay for yours.
Very good post
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Intermediate player here who bid but did not manage to win a horse. If people think my stable is too good to be participating in newbie auctions, that's flattering, I guess. I'm pretty proud of all three of my TB stakes wins (correction: both TB stakes wins, my third stakes was in trotters), the $1 TM gelding I picked up in a dispersal sale is doing a nice job. Hopefully I will have found another stakes-quality horse by the time he retires.

Am I a little bitter about failing to win a horse when others don't even want to keep theirs? Sure. Is pinhooking an aspect of the game which veteran players have taken advantage of for a long time, and will no doubt encourage by purchasing newbie pinhooks? Sure. It's a legitimate strategy, even if I don't like it. C'est la vie.
Last edited by Shannon Hunt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Noel Collins wrote: 4 years ago I try to stay quiet and a bit under the radar. Im a pretty nice person who tries to go out of their way to help others. No drama, crazy quibbles, stupid crap, I don’t beg for help, never will. Right now as an intermediate player I kinda resent the statements of “since your intermediate you must have better horses”. I really don’t think I do. I have rarely won a stakes, hell I rarely win a race. I don’t get that grand of results when breeding. Heck I was overjoyed when my allowance breeding average went up. I watch every penny to keep my barn going and will openly admit I have bought game points to convert to cash to do breedings and keep my stable afloat. Do I mismanage my stable? Probably, because this is still newer and there’s tons we still don’t know. I have no plans to sell off the one I won in this auction. This is a foundation element for my barn that I won’t give up for any of the foreseeable future.

Just pointing out that Pete mentioned nothing about intermediate players in his original post, nor is that something I agree with. His issue and mine is that by allowing the horses in the restricted sale to be pinhooked at all, it perverts the intent of the auction, and drives up prices with bids by people who had no intention to race their horses.

I'll go one step further and say I have no issues with any players who won a horse and pinhooked their horse. They were well within the rules to do so, and I'd probably have done exactly the same in that circumstance. The issue is with the auction rules themselves, and it's something I anticipated (not hard to do admittedly!) and posted about weeks ago.

Whether or not management views this as an issue or not will determine if there's any changes made in the future. If none are, then the newish player auctions (should they continue) will always be pinhook city.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Considering that there was only 15 horses in the auction and all routers, why shouldn’t anyone pinhook to have some cash for the next auctions?

While my first impression was negative, I’m resolved to let people play their own game. Whether it’s agreeable to me or not, we all have that same right.
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

Danny, you are right in that you did not mention intermediates, It was further down and something I had heard being said around, not specifically in this original post and thread.

I feel intermediate is kinda the cursed level. Your not “THERE” yet, but are in a spot where it’s hard to get further.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Noel Collins wrote: 4 years ago So thanks for killing my buzz of winning my first stew bred. No she’s not for sale. Yes I will be fruitlessly underbidding at the main auctions. I know I won’t win but after some of these comments I’m all for driving up what you’ll pay for yours.
Never stop underbidding (although I think with the other auctions this year there is no chance of underbidding 💔) I’ve won 3 Stewardbreds by underbidding. One’s high bid was $4 million and I got her for $500k. Another was $1.1 mil high bid and I got her for $1,500 admittedly that was a rare occurrence lol though someone got a $1 stewie last year thanks to underbids. Underbids are life!

Also don’t let this kill your buzz! You won a filly, enjoy her! The thing I’m upset about is more people in your situation didn’t get to win one, and people who have been luckier in the bankroll department won the horses just to flip them for more money, vs allowing people the chance to win/race their first Stewardbred. Though I’m a very “share the love” type person.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

Oops I think I just bought one. But the dude contacted me first. I didn’t even realize there was a newbie auction. I certainly didn’t solicit this knowingly. He had inboxed me.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

There’s one player who has now bought four of the stews from the auction today.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Why was there such a push for a new player restricted auction when now almost 5 out of 15 have already been pin hooked to a vet player within 24 hours of the end of auction? Still not understanding the reason for this new restricted auction if many of these horses are still ending up in veteran players barns?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I don’t understand why the limit 3 Stewardbred limit was removed either...
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program