Stewardbred Foals Already Bought?

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Stewardbred Foals Already Bought?

Post by Gavin Guile »

Jack Ryder wrote: 3 years ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 3 years ago
Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago I can see how this might seem unfair but 6 mil+ is a great way to take their money away. It’s a 2-3 year investment that may never pan out. It’s not a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. 8.2 million is a third of Danny’s year 56 earnings. That’s a chunk. I think that point is justwhatever?
What do you mean by “that point is justwhatever”? You’re looking at only race earnings...a lot of these players make money via stud fees and other methods. I usually pay double my avg yearly race earnings for stewardbreds (a third would be amazing). I’m not concerned about the price paid but rather that information is understood/shared by all. Not sure if players knew they could send the steward a note asking to buy a foal, I didn’t. I’m a paying customer and wished I understood what players can do and can’t do. There seems to be a lot of “insider info” that not all players are privy too. Can I ask the steward for advice on race placement? Breedings from a specific mare? What crosses best with a certain side? When to retire a horse? Will a horse be a good stud? If we can I feel like everyone would be asking and the steward would be overwhelmed with questions. I’m sure other players would have been willing to buy the three horses at those prices if they knew of its availability...

My other concern was the one Durzo highlighted. Three strong horses no longer in the auction going to three strong players that will buy another one in the auction and forcing three players out... seems unfair from that standpoint especially since there are limited numbers that can even be sold ahead of time as mentioned above. If someone had 6m and wanted to buy a foal they would potentially be limited.
I believe it has been said by the steward that nearly all her foals are for sale at the right price previously in the forums.
Thanks Jack, I was unaware of this post. Please provide the link.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago I'm not selling anything less than $6 million right now pre-sale (I had a deal with Bayou on that $1 million foal from 2 SIM years ago), and need to breed more to replenish non-sales horses. But yes, anyone is welcome to ask if they have the money! I'm happy to sell!
I’m just curious how the price is determined? Bidding $6m+ has its risks in an auction, but paying $9.4m, $8.2m, and $6.5m from someone who can see their gallop and breeding capabilities and determined that’s an appropriate price, makes it a lot easier, no?

I will never know as I will never be this rich, but I’m assuming the gallop and breeding capabilities are not included in how the price is determined, so I’m assuming it is just pedigree? Is there anything that makes the prices higher? Obviously all these horses have great pedigrees, so genuinely curious as it may help me/others in my/our own breeding or horse evaluating skills.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Here's a post from The Steward detailing her philosophy on this.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32251&p=373149&hilit=sell#p373149
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

My goal is to take out way, way more money than they are worth. If I think I can come out ahead on that (as in post above), I'm all over it.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago Here's a post from The Steward detailing her philosophy on this.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32251&p=373149&hilit=sell#p373149
Thanks Danny, seems this may be outdated:

1. These are foals and not yearlings
2. The horse you purchased was not 1.5m greater than the mares previous high offspring sold at auction.

But appreciate that the philosophy is generally the same
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago My goal is to take out way, way more money than they are worth. If I think I can come out ahead on that (as in post above), I'm all over it.
Ok, fair enough if that’s the goal...then not sure why there is a limit in the auctions if the goal is to get as much money out of the game as possible.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago My goal is to take out way, way more money than they are worth. If I think I can come out ahead on that (as in post above), I'm all over it.
Thanks! And that makes sense, but my question is how you determine the worth of the horse initially to be able to say that the price of 9.4m, 8.2m, and 6.5m is way way more than they are worth. Presumably you said, hm, Laura F wants this horse, this horse is worth $X, so I’ll ask for $6.5m. How was $X determined?

I would think you wouldn’t charge more of a premium from other people so I would assume Pete’s horse was determined to be initially worth about $2.9m more than Laura’s?

Apologies if I’m not being clear and appreciate all the responses, it is helpful!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Gavin Guile wrote: 3 years ago
Ok, fair enough if that’s the goal...then not sure why there is a limit in the auctions if the goal is to get as much money out of the game as possible.
Because there has to be a give and take. Take as much money out as possible, while making sure everyone has access to a big chunk of equally nice horses (but less obvious ones, which makes it more likely a big name player will stumble upon them). My favorite game is taking a bunch of money from players and then immediately having the auction, or having a bunch of auctions on top of each other, while still making sure there are nice horses in the last one, so that the big players are spent down and the "little" players have shots at some NICE, unassuming animals....

Which will all sadly go away soon :-(
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Durzo Blint wrote: 3 years ago
Thanks! And that makes sense, but my question is how you determine the worth of the horse initially to be able to say that the price of 9.4m, 8.2m, and 6.5m is way way more than they are worth. Presumably you said, hm, Laura F wants this horse, this horse is worth $X, so I’ll ask for $6.5m. How was $X determined?

I would think you wouldn’t charge more of a premium from other people so I would assume Pete’s horse was determined to be initially worth about $2.9m more than Laura’s?
Apologies if I’m not being clear and appreciate all the responses, it is helpful!
So let's so I'm eyeballing Horse X, and look at what the past horses have sold for, and taken an average of sales results, and if it's a colt or a filly (worth a lot as a uterus, or bred to be an exceptional sire on the track, vs not so much), and then consider things like if it is the mares' last foal or sire's final crop (usually a mad rush to get these), then added a premium on top (often that $1.5 million mentioned earlier in the thread), that all combined is where I value a horse. So yes, I valued Pete's horse more than Laura's. Does that mean Pete's will earn more? Be better in the shed? Not at all, just how I have them valued on "paper."
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Thanks all, appreciate all the dialogue. This has been very helpful!
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

I don't know how I didn't see this thread...I knew nothing about this either...I must've missed the memo, not that I have the money anyways
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I feel this thread could be alternatively titled why stewardbreds are being phased out
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Why
;p
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago I feel this thread could be alternatively titled why stewardbreds are being phased out
Honestly I wonder if Stewardbreds are gonna be phased out and then brought back in some form when people are complaining about the best lines being locked to the big players a few years after the Stewies are gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 3 years ago
Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago I feel this thread could be alternatively titled why stewardbreds are being phased out
Honestly I wonder if Stewardbreds are gonna be phased out and then brought back in some form when people are complaining about the best lines being locked to the big players a few years after the Stewies are gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I almost hope this is true. Or maybe some form of incentive program for really good horses to be made available to other players by their breeders. It takes a while to work up to being able to participate. Plus they add an element of mystery.