Foal TBS for sale

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Re: Foal TBS for sale

Post by Jon Xett »

Eric, eloquent as always. I get it, I really do. Purchasing the best bred stock has always been your M.O. Wonder what that mare's name from yesteryear was again? I want to go on record that my statement was not a slight or cut or admonishment directed toward anyone. I was simply thrilled to see so many new names popping up on the bid list all week long for this latest Steward bred auction. I believe it is good for the game to get the last batches of Steward breds into as many hands as possible and I was hopeful that more than a handful would be the newish players trying to establish a stronger stable. I have bought my share of "bust" million dollar+ Steward bred animals so I know how risky it is. Could David have sold the next Wonder to Eric or could he have off-loaded the next Words Exchanged? (HA! Look "it" up.) Bottom line, thanks everyone for playing and contributing to SIMHorseracing. Long live the SIM! jX
Chris Barber
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Chris Barber »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 3 years ago
Jon Xett wrote: 3 years ago IDK why newish players pinhooking Steward bred unicorns makes me sad but it just does. These fillies and colts could be foundation beasts for the SIM player and could go a long way towards a happy long SIM life and a stronger overall SIM community for years to come. Sad moment over. jX
As a rule I agree. It's a core part of what I believe about the game and how it operates (money only exists go get horses!). That said, I'm till happy to buy horses that I think are talented when they're available, and I do recognize that at times a big profit on a foal that I can 1) take a big risk on and 2) delay returns on for *years* might be smart for some.

At the end if the day, the game isn't about amassing money. It's about amassing horses who win races. Money always flows into the SIM. It's not true for all players, but once a stable is established, got *should* be able to leverage that in your favor. If it means you take a swing on a random $4m horse because it has a note in the comments ... Give it a rip! If it means trying to turn your stewie who has a note into a windfall that really helps your stable, give it a rip!

Ultimately - to anyone who may be reading, Jon is right even if I'm not above buying horses from those that want to move on. What makes sense for you and your stable is your own decision - but one thing good stables never do is give up good horses without serious thought. As long as what you're getting is well thought out when you sell a potentially good horse, more power to you.

P.S. this is still a lot of angst over a foal who almost certainly isn't earning the $4m I paid! Call it the coolmore phenomenon. Only 1/20 needs to pay their way and I'll be happy.
I think Eric has absolutely nailed here. I've been here a few seasons now although still see myself as somewhat a newbie. When I started out I made money pinhooking Steward breds. I made far more money ponhooking those horses than they made on the track or in the shed. Yes potentially I could have sold a possible superstar however generally those horses do go for big money in the sales. For a new player I believe the safer option is to pinhook and build a stable rather than pinning their hopes on one horse. Again as Eric says its about what each player enjoys doing. For me I love making a deal either selling, buying or swapping. I'm having a little success using that strategy however it's about the individual. Let's encourage and advise newer players and their decisions rather than criticise.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Maybe I’m reading it differently, but I didn’t see this as Jon criticizing David, but just making a general statement about the situation. As someone new to the game, I can see both sides of the equation. I was fortunate enough to get a foal yesterday. Since, I have 4 or 5 different people ask me about selling her for up to as much as an 800% profit. As someone whose bank account nearly went bust yesterday, it was extremely tempting. But in the end, I decided to keep her because of the dream of owning a Steward bred. She could be a great racer. She could be a great broodmare. She could be both or she could be neither. What it came down to is my belief that I’m playing this game to GET horses like this rather than SELL horses like this. David’s situation may be different than mine and that’s his business. Both he and Eric seem happy with the situation and that’s all the matters.
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

Eric Gray wrote: 3 years ago Maybe I’m reading it differently, but I didn’t see this as Jon criticizing David, but just making a general statement about the situation. As someone new to the game, I can see both sides of the equation. I was fortunate enough to get a foal yesterday. Since, I have 4 or 5 different people ask me about selling her for up to as much as an 800% profit. As someone whose bank account nearly went bust yesterday, it was extremely tempting. But in the end, I decided to keep her because of the dream of owning a Steward bred. She could be a great racer. She could be a great broodmare. She could be both or she could be neither. What it came down to is my belief that I’m playing this game to GET horses like this rather than SELL horses like this. David’s situation may be different than mine and that’s his business. Both he and Eric seem happy with the situation and that’s all the matters.
:P Hi Eric G, I'm going to share my experience with you

I agree with every point of view, last year I had a 10k account in my account and a Stewardbred auction was opened for new players

I had a Stake of Name Lulu
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1062540

this was in the year 55

Gigi G bought it for me, for 250k with that money I could buy God
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1224628 a stewardbred at $ 187,767
And Randall A bought it for $ 1M

with 2 sales, and a purchase already had $ 10 to $ 1M
the oxygen arrived little by little

then it was
Sonic perfect
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1237114 TS winner in his debut in a Stakes

another Stewardbred $ 1,421,001, sold for 2,700,000

It was already from $ 10 to a little more than $ 2.7M

I had to make a fund to be able to buy for myself without becoming bankrupt

last year I got to start a good amount

and I decided to take a risk, I bought 3 mares for almost $ 1.5M, they did not work for me as a broker, and they ended up being Formidable, I invested almost $ 5M and practically it was lost, entering the lease and raising the money was diminishing

With that money I had I was able to get 2 farms for me

I bought a Stewarbred at New Player auction, she is an allowance peak, for me the dream is lost, she will have a lot of competition between Freak, and Stakes

the bill going down more and more

no horses good for racing, with only 4 wins last year 4 wins

even a shot at this auction was to get something for the barn, or buy and sell to get something back for next year

This mare arrived with a note, just one detail forced me to let her go, and Eric arrived, and he gave me the opportunity to get a recovery, I couldn't risk more, I already had $ 5M that were not there, I had to take a break

Eric paid me what I asked, now I could get some money back, I have a Stewardbred Allowance that is much more valuable to me now
I have 22 foal bred, a DR Stakes yearling, a yearling that could be multi-surface, a Stewardbred DR lease, 2 farms, money in the account for the year to come

and with only $ 10 and a sale of 250k, I'm still here with a chance,

I know that the stewardbred can be great, but they will be what their owner achieves with them, maybe with me they will not

I still think I have nothing that will make me win big competition, I hope to have it soon

but I'm happy friend only $ 10 in the account 2 years ago

buy and sell, it was my help, and that of the players who bought what I sold

I know that the mare that I sold to Eric can be great, and I hope so, that will not make me feel bad, since she will be help for me, and for him

in order to get horses for my stable, I have to have money, but without horses in your stable, I must buy, and sell

that has been my situation until today

Cheers
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Sounds like you did a great job.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

We all have to make our choices. I pm'd with an experienced player about the auction. There was a horse in there that I wanted terribly, and I own a stakes LB DS yearling filly that I bred. I considered selling my filly to get the money to bid, but was advised against that. And in the end I am glad. My filly will hopefully start earning for my stable early next season, whereas the TR I had my eye on is many months away from doing her best work. And I've kept my powder dry.

Overall I have three goals this season. First, to make sure I don't go broke as a junior. Second, to use incentives to get my stallion every chance at a good start as a breeder. Third, to buy/lease a good TR mare that hypo's well with a particular stallion, because I want a filly from him before he pensions out. All of these will require capital, so I just made the decision to bid lightly and then back off. I actually made myself close the computer, leave the house, and go for a walk so I wouldn't be home when the auction ended.
Trastevere Peru
Miler

Post by Trastevere Peru »

Agree at all.
David you're lucky to have 2 gentlemen in front, Jon Xett and Eric Nalbone, in my time I didn't receive messages, I got warnings but I think that it was the only way to built a stable and no need to pinkhood the Steward's kids later.
Anyway we love this game, in spite of the last unfair decisions of our leader (of course, my opinion)
Best to you

TP
David Velasquez wrote: 3 years ago
Eric Gray wrote: 3 years ago Maybe I’m reading it differently, but I didn’t see this as Jon criticizing David, but just making a general statement about the situation. As someone new to the game, I can see both sides of the equation. I was fortunate enough to get a foal yesterday. Since, I have 4 or 5 different people ask me about selling her for up to as much as an 800% profit. As someone whose bank account nearly went bust yesterday, it was extremely tempting. But in the end, I decided to keep her because of the dream of owning a Steward bred. She could be a great racer. She could be a great broodmare. She could be both or she could be neither. What it came down to is my belief that I’m playing this game to GET horses like this rather than SELL horses like this. David’s situation may be different than mine and that’s his business. Both he and Eric seem happy with the situation and that’s all the matters.
:P Hi Eric G, I'm going to share my experience with you

I agree with every point of view, last year I had a 10k account in my account and a Stewardbred auction was opened for new players

I had a Stake of Name Lulu
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1062540

this was in the year 55

Gigi G bought it for me, for 250k with that money I could buy God
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1224628 a stewardbred at $ 187,767
And Randall A bought it for $ 1M

with 2 sales, and a purchase already had $ 10 to $ 1M
the oxygen arrived little by little

then it was
Sonic perfect
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1237114 TS winner in his debut in a Stakes

another Stewardbred $ 1,421,001, sold for 2,700,000

It was already from $ 10 to a little more than $ 2.7M

I had to make a fund to be able to buy for myself without becoming bankrupt

last year I got to start a good amount

and I decided to take a risk, I bought 3 mares for almost $ 1.5M, they did not work for me as a broker, and they ended up being Formidable, I invested almost $ 5M and practically it was lost, entering the lease and raising the money was diminishing

With that money I had I was able to get 2 farms for me

I bought a Stewarbred at New Player auction, she is an allowance peak, for me the dream is lost, she will have a lot of competition between Freak, and Stakes

the bill going down more and more

no horses good for racing, with only 4 wins last year 4 wins

even a shot at this auction was to get something for the barn, or buy and sell to get something back for next year

This mare arrived with a note, just one detail forced me to let her go, and Eric arrived, and he gave me the opportunity to get a recovery, I couldn't risk more, I already had $ 5M that were not there, I had to take a break

Eric paid me what I asked, now I could get some money back, I have a Stewardbred Allowance that is much more valuable to me now
I have 22 foal bred, a DR Stakes yearling, a yearling that could be multi-surface, a Stewardbred DR lease, 2 farms, money in the account for the year to come

and with only $ 10 and a sale of 250k, I'm still here with a chance,

I know that the stewardbred can be great, but they will be what their owner achieves with them, maybe with me they will not

I still think I have nothing that will make me win big competition, I hope to have it soon

but I'm happy friend only $ 10 in the account 2 years ago

buy and sell, it was my help, and that of the players who bought what I sold

I know that the mare that I sold to Eric can be great, and I hope so, that will not make me feel bad, since she will be help for me, and for him

in order to get horses for my stable, I have to have money, but without horses in your stable, I must buy, and sell

that has been my situation until today

Cheers
Happy Acting Turf Sprinter 20,000
Dressed in Suits Turf Sprinter 10,000

¨Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus¨
Umberto Eco
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I'm not sure how I got dragged into this, but it makes me uncomfortable. In the (real life) Spring of 2020, I made a purchase of a horse that was offered up for sale. I didn't message David trying to beat him up over his Stewardbred horse that he purchased in an auction.

In fact, I don't think any new player or younger barn should sell a Stewardbred, because it is better to have one superstar or great horse than to sell and use the proceeds to buy 100 mediocre horses that struggle to win a maiden.

That being said, I really never expect to have my purchases or deals scrutinized or dregged up in the forum. In closing, I never solicit anyone for their stewardbreds. Please, with as much respect as I can convey in a forum message, leave me out of this conversation. I avoid the forum drama for a reason.