It is hard to be a freak these days

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

It is hard to be a freak these days

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I only regallop horses actively racing when they are on a bit of a longer break. Recently did that with two of my mares that have been quite accomplished, Steward's Cup winning $900,000+ in earnings Acanthus and multiple graded stakes-winning $250,000+ in earnings as a young 3yo Carreta both have been downgraded from freak to stakes. Now admittedly I don't know if the change is due to the revamp of gallop comments or a decrease in ability at some point but both have won 90 speed figures this year so it seems you can have some pretty talented stakes gallopers these days. If they're stakes I can't wait to see what my one actual new cutoff freak can do.

Also please note this is not a complaint. I much prefer having stakes galloping superstars then stakes gallopers that can't break their maiden, which I had under the old cutoffs.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: It is hard to be a freak these days

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Hopefully the gallop comments are a little bit truer. It would be nice to have stakes gallops being competitive.
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

For me it seems my stakes are pretty much what my freaks used to be
They can be good and they can be bad hopefully this just means the freaks now will be mostly good
I even won a stakes with an allowance this year sothere is hope :D
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these gallop changes, my freaks are actual freaks (like this crazy thing)AND I have stakes actually being stakes!!
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Congrats Jo, very nice freaky filly :)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I hope the gallop changes reflect what a Real freak is suppose to be doing..because I have freak after freak after freak in mix racing that couldn't catch my old, slightly over weight dog, Jaya in a 300 yard dash.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

Last year's Paint Champion Two Year Old Female is also stakes now, so I think you are right.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

Some breeds it’s truer and some it’s not. A freak SB pacer does NOT guarantee a really successful horse. I swear every other horse is a freak too. Very hard to even break a maiden in that freak filled division.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Andrea Bouwkamp wrote: 5 years ago Some breeds it’s truer and some it’s not. A freak SB pacer does NOT guarantee a really successful horse. I swear every other horse is a freak too. Very hard to even break a maiden in that freak filled division.
That fits what people were seeing when gallops opened. In paints and quarter horses it seemed almost all the 2yos had dropped from their yearling gallops and people were seeing very few stakes but standardbred owners were not really reporting any noticeable differences from years prior.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

all my freak mixers except 1 arabian 2yo downgraded to stakes but they are still competitive and freaks are now true freaks, loving the change, standardbreds excluded as they all stayed freaks
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Te Akau Downs wrote: 5 years ago all my freak mixers except 1 arabian 2yo downgraded to stakes but they are still competitive and freaks are now true freaks, loving the change, standardbreds excluded as they all stayed freaks
There was talk of there being another downgrade this break, if the first one didn't make enough of a difference (which it obviously didn't for standardbreds; while my true mixer (appy/paint/quarter) yearling gallop comments were much worse in Y51 than the previous few years and a bunch of regalloped older horses went down a comment level, my standardbred yearling comments came in with about the same freak and stakes percentages as previous years and no regalloped older horses dropped a level).

I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a standardbred downgrade, since I have a stallion retiring soon and the studbook gallop percentages would be skewed in favour of stallions who had foals on the ground pre-Y51. Though it would be nice to be able to tell a "Almost guaranteed stakeswinner" freak apart from the "Almost guaranteed to still be a maiden when he turns four" freaks.

I do hope we get told in advance so we don't just rage-GP everything when we end up with 1% freaks in our crops instead of 10%.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Michael Looker wrote: 5 years ago
Te Akau Downs wrote: 5 years ago all my freak mixers except 1 arabian 2yo downgraded to stakes but they are still competitive and freaks are now true freaks, loving the change, standardbreds excluded as they all stayed freaks
There was talk of there being another downgrade this break, if the first one didn't make enough of a difference (which it obviously didn't for standardbreds; while my true mixer (appy/paint/quarter) yearling gallop comments were much worse in Y51 than the previous few years and a bunch of regalloped older horses went down a comment level, my standardbred yearling comments came in with about the same freak and stakes percentages as previous years and no regalloped older horses dropped a level).

I'm not sure if I'm hoping for a standardbred downgrade, since I have a stallion retiring soon and the studbook gallop percentages would be skewed in favour of stallions who had foals on the ground pre-Y51. Though it would be nice to be able to tell a "Almost guaranteed stakeswinner" freak apart from the "Almost guaranteed to still be a maiden when he turns four" freaks.

I do hope we get told in advance so we don't just rage-GP everything when we end up with 1% freaks in our crops instead of 10%.
There will be no downgrade/change this break. So you can rage GP all you want ;-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Easy fix, just don't rage GP... :D
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I'd honestly rather it be 1% freaks so when we do get one we can be super happy.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Personally I like my rose colored glasses. 8-) ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯