Gallop Comments - How did you go

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Gallop Comments - How did you go

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Ugh. You guys finally made me look at my training barn. I now know why I was avoiding it! In alphabetical order by breed:

Appaloosa-7
2 stakes
3 productive
1 solid
1 claimer

Arabian-18
1 freak
6 stakes
5 allowance
5 productive
1 solid

Paint-6
1 allowance
4 productive
1 solid

Quarter Horse-7
2 stakes
2 allowance
3 productive

STBP-7
3 freak
2 stakes
1 allowance
1 productive

Well, okay, the Paints are disappointing, but I can live with the rest.
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Haha Steve, I think we all feel the same this time round because of the changes, so fewer freaks. However, I'm all for the freaks being amazing and the stakes actually winning stakes as their gallop rating suggests so fingers crossed.

Appy (9 bred)
1 stakes filly by Long Ride to Love
3 allowance
2 productive
3 claimers

Paint (3 bred)
2 allowance
1 productive

QH (13 bred)
1 stakes colt by Night Scene
2 allowance
A ton of productive and some for the same glue factory as Louise's

STBP (9 bred)
1 freak filly by Catalyst
3 stakes
4 allowance
1 productive

STBT (4 bred)
1 stakes colt by TLs Monopoly
2 allowance
1 productive

I was thinking of cutting down on my mixer divisions as I found it so hard to breed them last year, so might drop a couple this year I think. Will keep my pacers and hopefully expand them, and maybe one other, Appy or QH I think.

It's just a case of seeing how they run next year now!
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Andrea Bouwkamp wrote: 5 years ago How do the people here do it? Training is very time consuming.
So here is how I manage. First I try to have a pretty small stable. I have no idea how people have these 1000+ horse barns. I keep my stable small by being selective about mares I breed. For many sim years I was primarily breeding my mares that were either multi race allowance winners or stakes winners. Mares that didn't get there often got claimed away from my because I was running them in claimers or I would throw them on the sales page. As most of the mares I was breeding were nice performers even if the foals were underperforming there was usually a market for them. (I am admittedly experimenting with expanding my broodmare band right now so we'll see how that goes). The other thing I do is focus on a small number of divisions. I feel this makes life easier as I there is less research involved in breeding.

So now we get to training time. Because I have a smaller barn I feel I can afford to equipment check everyone, so I don't have to do as much research in figuring out equipment through training. I then have my horses split into equipment known/equipment not known custom barns. If you don't want to use custom barns presumably you could use the equipment set * marking and sort those horses out and then you'd have to manually check the ones without the star (do wish there was a way to select equipment set/not set under status but so far that hasn't come to be).

Then to actually train I mass select and schedule training. I once a week set up a full weeks of training going out as far as i can. This gives me a safety window in that if I forget a week I can still catch it the following week. Most weeks this takes only a minute or two. The one slow part that I haven't figured out is workouts on the horses whose equipment is unknown. I have to pull each one up individually, look at whether they are trainer/vet second piece and then set up their work individually. I have yet to find a way to speed this up. If you didn't preequipment check you could in theory just work every horse with the same equipment each week and then try a new piece of equipment every week which admittedly would speed up training a lot but would not be the most efficient way to set equipment.

So anyway that is what I do. As mentioned below obviously an assistant trainer would be your best bet but if that isn't an option I would recommend at least trying some culling and moving forward with a smaller barn to see if that works before quitting.

Also as for the concern over game points for auctions remember the exchange is your friend. I admittedly don't know your sim money situation but I personally haven't brought game points with real money since the exchange came out and I am pretty sure I spend more game points than I did when I was using my real money to get them. Right now with the multiple stewardbred auctions going on it is definitely a game point buyers market on the exhcange and to me that is a more efficient use of my sim money than wayoverspending on a stewardbred.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*