Paint HOTY poll - do 2yos matter?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Who should be Y54 Paint HOTY among these horses?

Poll ended at 4 years ago

The Strider
8%
Dishonored
No votes
Colored Filly
17%
Son of a Paint
No votes
Girona
58%
Audacity
17%

Total votes: 12

Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Paint HOTY poll - do 2yos matter?

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Now that the official voting is done I'm curious if I'm completely off base in thinking that my horse deserved to be on the ballot so wanted to get a feel for how people feel. Is a 2yo automatically unworthy as compared to older horses or should HOTY be the horse with the best record regardless of age? So I'm doing an unofficial poll including the 2 undefeated 2yos along with the actual Paint HOTY nominees.

And yes I know I'm usually the person arguing Simmys don't really matter and people shouldn't get so worked up over them but seeing my horse not even getting a chance just really smarted. So I guess I need to apologize to everyone I've ever said was overreacting for being upset over a simmy loss. I get it now.

Links to the horses
The Strider 4yo router filly, 8:4-3-0, 4 stakes wins, 1 Grade 1 win (Steward's Cup)
Dishonored 4yo router gelding, 7:4-2-1, 3 stakes win
Colored Filly 3yo sprint filly, 6:2-0-3, 2 stakes wins, 2 Grade 1 wins (including Steward's Cup)
Son of a Paint 3yo mid colt, 7:5-2-0, 3 stakes wins, 1 Grade 1 win (Steward's Cup)
Girona 2yo sprint filly, 6:6-0-0, 6 stakes wins, 2 Grade 1 wins (including Steward's Cup), 1 Grade 2 win, 1 Grade 3 win
Audacity 2yo router colt, 5:5-0-0, 4 stakes wins, 1 Grade 1 win (Steward's Cup)
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Re: Paint HOTY poll - do 2yos matter?

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I'd vote for a 2yr old for sure, an excellent campaign is an excellent campaign.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

There is no doubt Girona is an amazing horse but in my opinion this is a difficult question and I do see points on both side of the coin here
obviously the horses campaigning fi you only look at stuff like speed figures and number off stakes g1 wins Girona would be the clear winner but
my one against is that she also never competed against any of the other horses so you do not how she compares to them and yeath I know that this is not possible to do but for that reason I feel it is difficult to jusstify her winning hoty
In my earlier days I was in a very bad sim but one thing that sim had ws a race at the end of the season where all big race winners was able to compete against ech other with no age restrictions but i Know thiss could be diiicult to incorporate in the sim bu I also know in my game starters orders there are races with no age restrictions and those might be a ble to incorporate
My point being if your horse was in a race like that and won then ofcourse she would deserve to be hoty
but even though I might not think she should have won she should at least have been nominated and then people could decide for themselves if they found her worthy to win
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Sten Rino Haakonsen wrote: 4 years ago There is no doubt Girona is an amazing horse but in my opinion this is a difficult question and I do see points on both side of the coin here
obviously the horses campaigning fi you only look at stuff like speed figures and number off stakes g1 wins Girona would be the clear winner but
my one against is that she also never competed against any of the other horses so you do not how she compares to them and yeath I know that this is not possible to do but for that reason I feel it is difficult to jusstify her winning hoty

but even though I might not think she should have won she should at least have been nominated and then people could decide for themselves if they found her worthy to win
I definitely understand the argument that 2yos should not be given the same consideration as older horses due to the fact that they are only racing against other 2yos. Also, Girona only raced against fillies which I can also see as a strike against her (interestingly a lot of 2yo paint races are gender restricted, but I had zero intention of running her against colts even had there been more opportunities to do so). And I think had she been on the ballot and lost I would have chalked it up to that and been less drama queeny (I had 3 horses on ballots that lost and have not complained about any of those results, the only other simmy I complained about was one I won).

The not being on the ballot though has clearly irked me as I do think there is precedent for support for 2yos as HOTY so I do not understand why they weren't included this time around. While admittedly a small sample size (11) 82% of people in this poll have voted for one of the 2 2yos (Izzy clearly is more even-tempered than myself as her colt also had a great year and was left off the ballot). Over the course of the sim 4 Paint HOTYs have been 2yos, just last year there was an Appy and Thoroughbred (Islands) 2yo HOTY and this year there was a thoroughbred (African). To me it seems the simplest thing to do would be to do away with Simmys and the drama they cause but 2nd to that the simplest thing for HOTY would be to just have the 6 individual age winners be your nominees and let the chips fall where they may. It saves the Steward the work of looking through the horses and making decisions and also seems to eliminate potential controversy. Hard to argue a horse that couldn't win an individual simmy should be on the HOTY ballot.

And I do want to make it clear what is done is done for this year and The Strider is HOTY I just hope that if I can show that there is support for 2yos as horse of the year in the future they can at least be given a chance and let the voters make the final call if their record is worthy given who they raced against.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 4 years ago I'd vote for a 2yr old for sure, an excellent campaign is an excellent campaign.
For sure.
It's extra tough to compare between divisions in mixers, but I want to vote for a horse who's been running against the best and been dominant. Sometimes that's a 2YO. I would have voted for one of the juveniles in this hypothetical.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Definitely think the 2yos at the very least should've been nominated. In the case of Girona you can't really argue the fact she only raced fillies, the way Paints are set up the vast majority of the races are gender restricted, it's not the norm to race a filly against the boys, even with older horses. Both of my mares that have won Paint HOTY (Kissin' Frogs and She's Country) never raced against colts. Yes they only raced 2yos, but their SF's were on par with top older horses in their divisions. Also winning 4 graded stakes with a Paint is crazy. I definitely would've voted for Girona if she was nominated, Audacity would've been my 2nd pick.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k