Barrier Trial Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Erskine
Miler

Barrier Trial Question

Post by Erin Erskine »

How long does it take to for a horse to recover after a barrier trial?

I have a horse I ran on Week 8, Day 6... And want to run him in a graded Stakes on Week 12, Day 3
Would doing a Barrier trial on Week 10 Day 7 exhaust him and/or injure him?
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Barrier Trial Question

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would injure him, but I think he'd come into the graded stakes tired. I'd feel a little differently if the barrier trial was a walkover, or if his next race was Week 12, Day 6.

Edited to add: by tired, I mean that frustrating kind of tired where the vet says yeah he's fine, but the question that isn't answered is, is he ready to put on a peak effort?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I personally think a barrier trial would be fine but if you want to stay on the safe side then do a workout week 10 day 6, less taxing than a barrier trial but will keep the fitness up just fine.
Erin Erskine
Miler

Post by Erin Erskine »

Thanks for your feedback!!
I'll work out instead!
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Honestly I’d do nothing if the horse has been raced consistently. I do 3.5-4 weeks between races quite a bit, as long as they’re fully fit they won’t lose fitness that quick. Some do better than others off of long breaks but they don’t lose fitness in that time. Could maybe do a jog or gallop, but I always just let them have the extra time off and do nothing.

Speaking from experience, definitely no barrier trial, you’ll risk an injury
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Erin Erskine
Miler

Post by Erin Erskine »

I just had a look at him..

He ran week 4 day 6; week 6 day 6 and week 8 day 6. And he came out of a busy second half of last year. Maybe the break would do him good..
He is "Sound"
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I personally have had a lot of success with giving the horse a 3 week rest after 3 back to back 2 week races. So for example: Race week 1 day 3, week 3 day 3, week 5 day 3 then skip to week 8 day 3, without doing any other exercises at all. There is no need to work the horses to death.
Erin Erskine
Miler

Post by Erin Erskine »

Randall Allen wrote: 3 years ago I personally have had a lot of success with giving the horse a 3 week rest after 3 back to back 2 week races. So for example: Race week 1 day 3, week 3 day 3, week 5 day 3 then skip to week 8 day 3, without doing any other exercises at all. There is no need to work the horses to death.
Yes, for sure. But, it's going into a fourth week. I worry about losing some fitness...