Mixer purses

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: Mixer purses

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Sure I’m on board
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I agree with everything Lucas said. Getting a stud up to the 350k mark can be like pulling teeth out, especially when you're trying to do it with more than one at a time.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I haven't read this entire thread so my apologies if some of this is repetitive

Mixer purses have been wonky for years and are in need of an overhaul. I really like Laura's suggestion for purses, it's a simple sliding scale and the purses makes sense for the race condition

As far as the stud earnings requirement, I'd rather pull teeth out than try to get a colt to 350k, it's freaking impossible, well not literally impossible but it's insanely difficult. I don't even know how many colts I've had to lease to a new/junior player so I can sponsor a race to get them to the 350k, Mark of the Beast being one of them. Speaking for Paints and Appys, do we really need a 350k earning requirement? Can't it be 250k? Or even 200k? They have the lowest earning potential in the game. Even a really solid hard knocking colt struggles to get the earnings. 50k stakes just don't work to get a colt to 350k. If they aren't a world beater your going to really struggle and wind up being forced to race a horse longer than you'd like and past his prime just to get the earnings up.
I have a 5yo colt, nice lines out of a SC winning mare, he's a super solid racehorse, I absolutely love him and he keeps getting better, 19 starts, 17 OTB finishes, never been out of the money and has finished 2nd and 4th in SC races (184.5k of his earnings) who just got 350k in his 18th start. Take out those 2 SC races say he has 17 starts and his current earnings would be only $190,770. There's literally 1 race every year that you get a real chance to get a colt earnings, if they don't place well in that 1 race it's a grind to get to 350k and one the colt is past his prime it's even worse. I have an 8yo who's 15k away that I'm hoping I can get to 350k this season, this is season 3 of me wanting to retire him but needing to get him to 350k
Worst part about the stallions that you have to really work to get 350k is that the ones that turn out to be good stallions you've then lost a season or two of breeding. Using Beast as an example, getting him to 350k cost him a year in the shed. I forget when I wanted to retire him but it was obvious his best racing days were behind him, but I had to run him one more year to get the earnings. This is a horse with good lines who sired a millionaire in his first crop in a division that is really hurting for good stud options
I honestly don't care one way or another if the purses increase, obviously it'd be cool to have bigger stakes and that'd offer more opportunities for colts if there were more big races strategically placed, but as long as you can get a solid stallion worthy colt to the earning requirement and your racehorses can pay for their expenses and stud fees stay low enough that the division can support itself then it is what it is.

Hopefully that all makes sense
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Ken Lind
Sprinter

Post by Ken Lind »

Agree with all. A terrible blow to the earnings of many non-elite level players. Laura's suggestion is a good one but there need to be more graded stakes races as well. I only run mixers and have lots of stakes and freak horses. I'm frankly sick of week in and week out having no option other than $50K stakes races. When I have a great horse and look at the stakes schedule to work out a plan for the entire year I find that, other than the SC, there are perhaps TWO graded stakes for the entire year in some specific breed/distance/gender/age combinations. This is patently absurd compared to the wealth of races for thoroughbreds. So then I have to spend real money to create races. Don't wanna be cynical/paranoid but maybe that's the whole idea.

As long as we're discussing the lousy treatment of folks who run mixers I'm gonna go ahead and add a bit here about my pet peeve...Steward breds. In thoroughbreds, if you've got the resources, you can just go out and buy a superhorse! What a concept! No need to develop a band of broodmares No need study lines and how they interact for generations. No need to do any work at all. Plunk down the bucks and you get manna from heaven! I've looked at the top 25 or so earners in the stables of about a dozen of the top thoroughbred folks and, guess what? If you average all these horses together at least 50% are Steward breds. What a shocker! I do not mean to demean the accomplishments of these folks at all because I'm sure they do a lot of homework but this is the reality. In mixers you have to do a lot of study, spend a lot of money and have a lot of luck over a long period of time to attain a high level of success. In thoroughbreds you can go out and buy it.

...stepping down off of my soapbox...
Last edited by Ken Lind 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

One of the reasons why I stopped focusing on mixers is the lack of purses and how hard it is to get a colt to $350k. I wonder how many really nicely bred mixer colts would have been nice studs had they been able to get to $350k but were gelded or pensioned instead.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

Well the quick fix for the stallions would be to immediately reduce the 350K to 250K for at least Appy's and Paints. And implement something along Laura's suggestion for the rest of the races. But any input from Admin or The Steward has been noticeably absent on this thread, are we just wasting our efforts in our posts to make the game better, fairer?
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I've submitted the proposed purse structure, based on the feedback received so far, this morning.

I'm working on the stakes schedules, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the weekend before I have something for players to review. If someone else wants to reach out about a lower threshold, please feel free. That said, I did mention when I submitted the stakes schedule that there was an ask in this thread about lowering the stallion threshold.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Lucas Davenport wrote: 2 years ago Well the quick fix for the stallions would be to immediately reduce the 350K to 250K for at least Appy's and Paints. And implement something along Laura's suggestion for the rest of the races. But any input from Admin or The Steward has been noticeably absent on this thread, are we just wasting our efforts in our posts to make the game better, fairer?
I've been dealing with Laura directly on all of this, and thus no need to also weigh into the thread. :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Note: Laura's purse proposal has been put into effect for Claiming and NW races.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jack Ryder
Turf Router

Post by Jack Ryder »

The Steward wrote: 2 years ago Note: Laura's purse proposal has been put into effect for Claiming and NW races.
Can we have more maiden claimers for 3 yos? I think they don't have any till week 5 unless I am looking wrong.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Jack Ryder wrote: 2 years ago
The Steward wrote: 2 years ago Note: Laura's purse proposal has been put into effect for Claiming and NW races.
Can we have more maiden claimers for 3 yos? I think they don't have any till week 5 unless I am looking wrong.
They are very sporadic. Would definitely be nice to have more
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Your best bet on that is to make a concrete proposal - ie., specific dates, breeds, distance, tracks, conditions. Kind of like what I did for the stakes schedule, but geared towards maiden claimers instead of stakes.

Also note that sometimes races, if they don't draw entries in a particular year, then don't show up the following year, so it may be that there were more several sim years ago, but fell off for various reasons.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago Your best bet on that is to make a concrete proposal - ie., specific dates, breeds, distance, tracks, conditions. Kind of like what I did for the stakes schedule, but geared towards maiden claimers instead of stakes.

Also note that sometimes races, if they don't draw entries in a particular year, then don't show up the following year, so it may be that there were more several sim years ago, but fell off for various reasons.
I keep saying this - people think I'm ignoring them and hate Mixers or whatever, but I don't think I've EVER not added when someone sends an email and says, Hey, there are only 2 claimers for QHs sprinting Week 6, can we have some that look like this:
Ruidoso, W6W, 350 yards, 3+, $25,000 (or whatever)

Andrew James sends me these for dirt milers all the time, and it gets DONE.

ETA - This is in the instance of there clearly not being enough. If you say there are 10 of this race and I have 11 horses eligible, that's probably going to get ignored.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

The Steward wrote: 2 years ago I keep saying this - people think I'm ignoring them and hate Mixers or whatever...
While I agree that you are super on top of it, you also didn't deny it or say that you don't hate mixers... so... do you have something to tell us?

(It's ok, I hate them too even though I have a bunch)
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)