Retiring mares - opinions needed

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ali Sills
Turf Router

Retiring mares - opinions needed

Post by Ali Sills »

I have a slew of 4YO Arabians and Standardbred mares who are allowance peak gallopers who have been really solid on the track this year, winning or top placements in allowance or NW races consistently. My question for you - when do you or what makes you retire a mare? I was intending to retire this group at the end of the year, but they are doing so well on the track, I'm considering hanging onto them in my racing barn but I've also been told they start to go down hill at 4-5 and they are PEAK. I already have 200+ foals on the ground this year, so I'm not dying for more broodmares. What's the best course of action here?
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: Retiring mares - opinions needed

Post by Darcy McBride »

Hey, Ali. If you are not in a hurry to breed this group, run them next year. If any of them start dropping off in form, you can retire then. That's my two cents worth!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

If they're making money and you're enjoying running them, run them. They won't ALL see their form fall off a cliff when they turn 5 and, while you might kick yourself for not retiring the ones that do, you've said yourself you're not desperate for any more broodmares.

I'm no expert on Arabians but, given that they don't start racing until they're 3, do they really see much of a drop in form at 5?
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Personally, I of course have a VERY small racing barn and am restructuring my stable to mostly breeding and selling foals, but I really only continue to run my stakes horses or those that aren't peak that may have potential to be stakes level horses.

Overall though, general advice, if you're enjoying racing them and aren't wanting/needing more broodmares, then run them another year.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k