insure or not to insure

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

insure or not to insure

Post by Landon Alexander »

When the trainer says you should think about insuring a horse in the new gallop comments, do you?

I have a 3yo colt late bloomer who I just re-galloped and she said to consider insuring... His dam is a maiden blue hen mare & if you follow the female side, there's nothing to write home about. The colt in question is still a maiden, allowance galloper.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Re: insure or not to insure

Post by Louise Bayou »

Unfortunately I've gotten way to many of those comments for me to think they mean a whole lot. I was insuring some then I realized how many times the comment came up. But if you have the money and just want to spend it I don't see why not.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I wouldn’t, in my barn, at this time, right now, as an allowance.
;p
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

If it was a filly I'd say do it since she can breed regardless of how she does on the track, with a colt, I wouldn't unless they galloped freak or at least stakes LB.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Nope, especially an allowance level. Freaks I insure and some stakes. The insure comment seems to be any allowance and above, allowances just aren't worth it
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Hope Bentley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Hope Bentley »

Not if he's still a maiden at 3yo. If he was a 2yo had quite fast times and a fancy pedigree maybe you would really consider it. If he was 2yo and went really well at 2yo …. Keep it in mind(for a different horse) But with this horse, you said his female family has nothing much there so probably not. Its going to be interesting seeing what the new allowance horses are like.. as well. There may be the odd one sometimes that needs to be insured especially if its a filly.

Stallions
*Silver Kitty Cat
*Macha Taima
*Rockin to the Stars & more
Past Stallions
*Black Wolf *Blue Montana Gold *Fire Fire *Streakin Goldstrip
*Bear Encounter *Blood Red Sun *Held High and other greats
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

And lets be honest, in mixers even a "fancy" pedigree means pretty much nothing. It's not like TBs where pedigree matters sadly.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Post by Landon Alexander »

I have never really insured fillies until they are retired and then it warrants it.

The 3yo is stakes placed... but still a maiden :lol: I was partially curious if he'd have a big jump in a couple months when I gallop him again since he is still reading late bloomer... like if he'd turn into a talented 5 / 6yo horse.

It will be interesting to see how the 1yo & 2yo allowance types do / improve.