Retire or not? Help decide please

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Retire or not? Help decide please

Post by Lisa Bennert »

This paint mare out of a nice dam used to always come up short in the big races- but now she's finally won the SC. Normally I retire 5 year olds with a good pedigree, but she turned out to be longer career.. I'm leaning towards retierment, but I'm not sure.

Would you keep her racing with both the longer career comment and her finally breaking through?

Lisa
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: Retire or not? Help decide please

Post by Darcy McBride »

I would give her a chance to run next year. If she doesn't run well after a few races you can retire her then. Or wait until we roll over to YR64 and do a talent check on her, to see if she has dropped down. She is a lovely mare!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Congrats on her win! I'd probably run her one more year, then retire, because she's doing so well.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

With a longer career comment, I'd keep her running.

Kent
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Personally I’d lean towards retiring her. Now I’m basically just a breeder at this point with a 20 horse racing barn. I was about to post a reply last night when my old laptop so rudely had the screen go white (it does this 🤣 always fixes itself when you turn it off). Anyway, obviously these comments are new so no one actually knows, but it seems every horse gets either the LC or BS comment, most will be marginal if that’s the case. I’d expect your mare to still be blue hen, she may not produce a world beater, but I’d still expect her to be decent. I have a LC filly I retired this year, stakes/peak and she’s a blue hen. I expect she’ll produce around what her full sisters produce which isn’t exactly slouching (she’s a Son of a Paint x Kissin frogs so I have a few)

Now obviously there’s a chance her breeding ability is horrendous, but those aren’t too common. Surprise Kiss is one of my SC winners who was formidable and a pretty lousy producer up until near the end of her broodmare career, she still ended up producing a pretty nice foal (We Can Be Heros). Neverinthemiddle is another example in my barn off the top of my head, but since bloodlines have developed those seem less and less common.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Thanks a lot for the input!
I've decided to race her one more season.. Not because of the longer career comment (as I've realized that with her presumably high racer rating she could still be a good blue hen) but mostly because I have very few nice racehorses and already kind of too many foals. I may very well regret the decision and still think it would have been nice to go out on top, but hopefully trying a new approach once in a while will pay off :)
Lisa