Season 2 Official Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Re: Season 2 Official Thread

Post by Mike Eaton »

Right.
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,
bred to go long but quick to plz

18 : 10 - 1 - 0 LTE $2,227,500
Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Seek Thrills Handicap (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

Post by Clinton Jacinto »

“ONCE UPON A TIME” there was a very “SEDUCTIVE SIREN” by the name of “GIGI.” Her name alone “STRIKES A CHORD” “TO MY SOUL.” She “DEMAND” all the “ATTENTION” from everyone she meets. The tall “BLONDE INSPIRATION” is “CUTE N CLASSY” on the outside, but has a “SINISTER EVIL” about her on the inside.

“TEMPTE ME” she did. “PEERING INTO” my soul she discovered my “DESIRE AND FIRE.” She knew how to “IGNITE THE SPARK” within me. Like a “BLACK WIDOW SPIDER” luring her suitor in her web. She lured me in with her “ALLURING BEAUTY” and “IRRESISTABLE” “AROMA.”

“IN THE END” I couldn’t “CONTAINEDEXPLOSON.” Losing the battle I “GAVE WAY” to the “AMAZING MAIDEN” named “GIGI.” The “PHYSICAL REACTION” between us was apparent. As we kissed, it was “BLISS IN PARADISE”, an “EMOTIONAL RELEASE.” That I have never felt in my life. As “FAST” as the “ATTRACTION” began it was even faster when it ended. She “DISAPPEARED” taking with her a “PART OF MY HEART.”
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Dangerous Montives $2,000
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Here's the 'business plan'

Simvivor 3.0

1. Objectives

a. To run the best forum-based game of Simhorseracing – maybe even in the world
b. To drain Mike Eaton’s SIM account, ideally during a Steward’s Auction week
c. To encourage players to research the Sim, interact with other players, and enhance their enjoyment of the game
d. To entertain onlookers too chicken to go to the island themselves

2. Summary of research and feedback

Several former players were surveyed, and invited to answer the following questions:
• Did you enjoy your time on the island?
• Did you make new friends? New enemies?
• Will you return to the island for another attempt? Why or why not?
• If you did come back, what would you do differently?
• What did you find most difficult about being on the island?
• What was the most fun, most enjoyable part of the game for you?
• If you could say one thing to Mike, anonymously, what would it be? I promise I’ll keep it confidential…
• What’s your advice to new players? Any tips or strategies?
• What do think it takes to win Simvivor? What qualities does a winner need to have?

Responses include:
Did you enjoy your time on the island? Responses were consistently positive, ranging from “I did for most of the time’ to a resounding ‘YES’. However, a few respondents commented that at times the game was hard work and they felt like they’d been ‘playing for years’. Of course, it is called ‘simvivor’, and not ‘simvacation’ so testing players’ endurance and commitment may be a good thing. The trick will be getting that balance right.

Respondents all said they had made friends, and that while they may have crossed swords with players from time to time, no one stayed enemies for long. This is definitely consistently seen a really positive aspect of the game.

Most respondents said they would return, if they have time. The variability of challenge posts, and the overall time and effort were mentioned as reasons some players might not return. Similarly, time constraints, especially when challenges were complex or involved several team members, were seen as the toughest challenges to the game.

As to doing anything differently in a subsequent attempt, some players said they would be more cautious over how they responded to challenges – trying to be ‘first past the post’ can lead to mistakes – but others felt they wouldn’t change anything and they’d come back as aggressive as ever, since the game does not ‘call for…finesse’.

One player noted that success son the game really does feel good, and getting to the later rounds is an accomplishment. Some really enjoyed particular challenges, and felt it really brought out team spirit and creativity.

In regard to suggestion, one respondent suggested that it would be fun if the game was more similar to the original survivor. In other words, let players vote each other off out of just two teams at first; this would encourage more sinister behavior too, which is always fun. Consistent scheduling and improving the clarity of instructions would also be helpful. Connecting Simvivor more closely to the racing was also suggested, so that time spent in the Island would also help with game knowledge and hopefully a more successful stable.

When asked about advice for new players, time was a consistent factor. The variable scheduling meant that it was felt that to be competitive, you had to be prepared to put a lot of time into the game, both to stay alert for updates and challenges, but also to be ready at any time for a complex or ‘first past the post’ challenge to pop up. Availability, consistency, and just a lot of time were seem as helpful to winning, although creativity and confidence also were seen as helpful traits.

3. Strengths
Several good points were mentioned in the research about Simvivor, including:
a. Connection to other players: respondents appreciated the opportunity – even the requirement – to get to know other players on the Sim.
b. Creativity: respondents enjoyed the creative aspects of most of the challenges, not only producing their own work but reading/seeing/listening to the work of others.

4. Weaknesses
Research respondents also pointed out some areas of the game that they found challenging, or that could be improved:
a. Scheduling: Research suggests that some players find the variable scheduling of challenges difficult to manage with busy personal lives, and that may discourage them for entering or returning to the game.
b. Participation: It’s hard to judge, but it seems sometimes like non-islanders (both non players and those kicked off) tend to lose touch with the game, which is a shame.
c. Challenges: research suggests that some challenges were considered to time consuming for players with busy lives, too complex, or unclear as to what was expected. Some respondents also felt that while most challenges were fun, it would be nice to have more challenges connected more closely to the racing.

5. Opportunities and suggestions
Below are some suggestions for future iterations of the game, based on respondent feedback.
a. Scheduling: Try to run a consistent weekly schedule. For example, challenges posted on Friday, an hour before post time. This is a high traffic time when many players are on the Sim anyway, but for more complex challenges allows weekend days for completion. Close challenges on Monday, post battles on Wednesday, and announce winners with the next week’s challenge on Friday, and so on.
b. More on Scheduling: begin the challenges (first week of the game) during break, when players have the most time to get used to the game
c. Participation: encourage spectators – and therefore future competitors – by increasing the involvement of non-players in the game. Invite volunteer judges, use open forum votes to decide challenges or battles, and offer ‘spot prizes’ to non-islanders who add value to the game.
d. Challenges: A variety of media options within each challenge would give players the opportunity to respond best according to their technology skills or their personal schedules. For written activities, a wide use of poetry, games, puzzles, stories etc has been popular. Photo manipulations and photography, as well as drawing and other artwork are manageable by most, as are simple videos. Animations have been used twice, and if links to animation sites are provided most players could use that too. Music has been popular, but a video option should be offered as some players find Mp3 production difficult.
e. New ideas: few suggestions for new ideas were received. For example, an ‘immunity horse’ – could be an unwanted ‘stiff and awkward’ - that players can pass to each other; whoever has the immunity horse in a given week is safe. This might encourage more favoritism, sly dealing, and general backbiting.
f. Connection to the Sim: several suggestions concerned making challenges more closely related to the Sim. They could be challenges like:
i. Write an ‘April Fool’s’, to see who can get the most misleading article past the Steward and posted in the articles, or prepare an article with several mistruths that players have to spot.
ii. Pedigree, race history, or other research could work, such as making puzzles, finding best nicks, and so on.
iii. Break time logic puzzles have been very popular in other forum games, or a Sim ‘scavenger hunt’, as has been used before.
iv. Handicapping contests are good, but players could also be set tasks like selecting a horse from AJ and placing it in a race to see who gets the best results, or putting them all in an auction to see who can market their AJ purchase best for the highest price.
v. Horse naming contests are also popular, ask non-islanders to put up yearlings for naming, and whichever player gets the most of their names chosen by the owners wins.
vi. Some sponsored races for Islanders, not unlike the Gelding World Cup or the Junior Prom, but on a smaller scale, and which could have unusual entry requirements like obvious dirt sprinters (e.g. sires by a horse in the dirt sprinter stud book) that have to race over 2 miles, or races only for horses over 7 years old, or copy horse whisperer ‘doesn’t even like to get a bath’ types that then have to race in slop. Most wins, points, whatever wins the challenge.

g. Clarity: Several contributors commented that they sometimes had trouble understanding the instructions for challenges. To improve clarity, you could try:
i. Have an ‘assistant’ who checks the instructions to see if they are easily understood, and to anticipate possible questions or confusion form players
ii. Use a ‘challenge template’ to make sure deadlines, challenge objectives, scoring or judging criteria, means of submitting results, and so on is always included.

6. A Final Word
I think I can safely speak for everyone in that we all know that running this takes a lot of time, creativity, and Sim cash, and we all have enjoyed ourselves and appreciate you bringing Simvivor to the forum, and for running it for us. I know I have certainly got to know several Sim buddies much better (maybe a little too well), and it has certainly added to my enjoyment of the game. Thank you Mike, and Long Live Simvivor!
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

First part of Chani's task...Messiah to win, and Fast to trail the field.
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

SIMVIVOR 3.0

To improve on the current SIMVIVOR format I asked myself and two other previous players about their thoughts about improving the future SIMVIVOR contest.

-How can we improve interest not only for the contestants, but also for the outside people that follows the contest?

-How can we diversify the challenges and tasks for the new SIMVIVOR?

-Most importantly how can we make the game more cut-throat?

Question 1

-I’ve found that the interest of the contestants at times subsided while playing SIMVIVOR including myself in the first as well as the present season. There needed to be some type of incentive for the contestants to feel up beat and ready to go on challenges/tasks. Just like the real T.V. show we need a reward system. We can’t starve our contestants obviously and we can’t give them food as rewards, but we can offer them other things such as a free breeding to top flight stallions, mares, and other great mini prizes. I am sure that many stallion owners would not mind giving one or two free breeding to their stallions in exchange for some public exposure and highlight for their stallions within the game.

-Each event/challenge/task not including elimination challenges would have a prize that contestants or the group would be able to win. These challenges in turn would become more interesting and the contestants would be more amped to win the challenges.

-I would personally ask around and get a prize list for the contest to help the host.

-I’ve always wanted to ask Mike why the audience was involved so minimally in the game. We could easily incorporate the audience each week by also giving them prizes for picking the right winner of a challenge, or letting them suggest a good challenge for the contestants, or inserting them as partners for the contestants for one week to help with a challenge, etc. This helps the audience become part of the game and makes them feel as though they themselves are contestants playing the game. These types of new strategy in addition to the old ones used by Mike would tremendously boost the audience participation.

Question 2 & 3:

-As mentioned above we can always ask the audience for help in creating new challenges, but that is only one way. I also want to mention that to help other players who play from other countries that we eliminate challenges that require speed or turning in tasks early, because it is an unfair disadvantage to those who live in a different time zone for them to wake up 3 AM to do a task. So my plan below will help more to eliminate those types of challenges and rather do other challenges that does not require speed and give ample time to everyone who is playing the contest more of a strategic type of game play

-Another way we can diversify the challenges is by doing head to head challenges. The teams will be allowed to vote one team member to go head to head with the opposing teams representative. This type of challenge is high risk high reward type of challenge. The winning player going head to head will have an opportunity to either win prizes or be able to dictate certain things such as, getting the immunity idol, or voting a certain player to go to an elimination challenge, trade a team member away to the other team in exchange for someone else, send a team member to the “Lost Island for a day” (I will talk about the Lost Island later), etc. The loser will automatically be entered to the elimination challenge, BUT will have a chance to pick one member of his/her team to go to the elimination challenge (this is the cut-throat factor I am talking about.) This is a good way to keep a checks and balances within the ranks of a team. An alliance in the group may just decide to pick off certain group members and keep the glory to themselves until their the last players standing, but “NOT TOO FAST MA BOY!!!” this will be countered by the fact that if the team player sent to the head to head loses then he/she can have revenge by pulling one of those people who sent him/her to the challenge to be automatically be in the elimination challenge. So, be warned whose foot you step on because you just might end up stepping on your own foot. *devious laugh* MMMWWWWAAAAHHHHHHAHHAHHAH!!!!

-The Lost Island-
Every time someone gets sent to the Lost Island they will have an opportunity to discover “The Lost Amulet of Immunity.” There are only two amulets in the lost island, one for each team/group. You will be asked a question/riddle to answer. If you get the question correctly within 12 hours the question was sent to the player he/she then must guess correctly who the answer pertained to. The question will pertain to either the host or one of the two other judges. If the guess is wrong then the player goes back to the team island without anything, but has the knowledge of knowing he/she was wrong about who the question/riddle pertained to and if ever he/she is sent back to the island he/she can then have another chance of claiming the amulet again if it hasn’t been discovered yet.

Now here is the fun part. If the amulet has been discovered the person who discovers the amulet can use it any time before the elimination challenge to save his/her skin, or can give it to someone else to save that person. However each week that the amulet is not used after being discovered there is a chance that the other players can steal it from them.

-Only those who had been sent to the Lost Island can steal the amulet. They will be informed that the amulet had been discovered if they are sent to the Lost Island after the amulet has been discovered. They will not be informed of who discovered the amulet. The people who had been to the lost island will be given a chance each week to guess where the discoverer hid his amulet. The discoverer will be given a chance to choose where to hide his amulet out of 6 hiding places. If the amulet is discovered by multiple players, the player who sent their guess first will receive the amulet. Any issues that may occur will be resolved the host and judges at that time.

-The two people I’ve asked to answer a few question are Carole Hanson and Skippy Bowen. Big thanks to both. From their interviews I nitpicked and analyzed their answers about what was missing and what needed to be improved on in addition to my own opinions of the game.
Here are a few key points that I want to point out from the interviews.

-I asked both of them, what they would have done to improve the game?

Carole- “If I made the rules, I would have made it so that games are about who scores more points rather than who gets the answer first because it was hard for me personally as I live in Britain and the time-zone is different so I missed most announcements etc.”

Skippy-“I think if I was to host it first of all everyone would be faked!!! Just saying and also a no towel only pineapple rule.
I really enjoyed the first challenge mike did so I would do more like that, as for rules I would have made a hiding idol that everyone got or a get out of jail free card sort of thing or had some creative back stabbing Simvivor way to earn one to use in a challenge cause not everyone has time to do some things and can use a break.”

My opinion about what they’ve told me are; to eliminated speed challenges because not everyone is in the same time zone, the hiding idol suggested by Skippy is a great idea and I’ve managed to make a plan on how we can enforce that type of game play into the new SIMVIVOR with “The Lost Island” deal, I also thought that easier challenges were a little bit more fun and keep the hard challenges to a minimum. Both former players also mentioned their strategic plans and I do believe that to make the game more enjoyable the new SIMVIVOR needs to have more twists and turns that can swing a player from being the loser one day and a survivor the next.

I do have more ideas and would like to mention that I’ve enjoyed being a part of the contest for 2 straight seasons. I would be honored if Mike would allow me to be a part of his team for the next season as either a helpful part of staff giving suggestions or someone who can ask others to help with prizes whatever it may be. I have brilliant plans and ideas to help out. To my opponent GiGi, well she is a brilliant writer and survivor. I brought her back because I know somehow she was capable of making it to the finals and it has been a great ride with her. May the best SURVIVOR WIN!!!!!

For Chani’s Challenge

Messiah-Winner
Fast-Trailer

Why I Should Win
I will make this short and sweet. It’s not a matter of why I should win. It’s a matter of why does someone has to lose. Both Gigi and I deserve to win the honor to be called the last SIMVIVOR. We’ve battled each week and every week to make it to where we are now. I would not be the least bit disappointed if she was picked to win the game. She is a brilliant person with an astounding array of skills and intelligence. I would have not brought her back if I did not think that she deserved to be back. It was an honor to be a competitor against a very formidable opponent. As a sign of respect to my opponent I will leave it to you judges and decide “Who do you think deserve to win?!”
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

By the way if anything is similar to Gigi's plans, I have not yet seen or read her entry so it is only a coincidence that we had a similar subject. I did not intend for it to be similar to hers. Thank you.
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

For Chani...

A beautiful colt is born, one that has the hopes and dreams of the sim ahead of him. Will this one be the one to bust a new trainer into the limelight, to take the Sim world by storm? One with courage to win, the heart to stay the distance, and the magnificence to pose in the winner's circle? yes, this is definitely the one!

The months, weeks, and days pass by...

This colt grows, matures, fills out, boy how he runs! This is definitely it. It's time for him to move on to a new home, one that can take him to stardom. This - Sim world - is Joliet Jake, bound to be the champion of all the sim. But wait, who's this? Here comes a newbie; but one with a few bucks in her bank account. She's looking for her first superstar, and she likes this horse. Why? because she needs a champion; she needs to prove herself in the sim. Plus, she likes the name. Despite her mentor's advice (I'm so sorry Mary), she lays down the cash, and takes this little rocket home.

"Jolly" does not fail... to disappoint. But this is Gigi's first good horse; it has to be, she paid a lot for it so it must be fast. The workouts aren't bad, but they aren't great either. Nevermind, she says, nominate it. After all, you can't win if you aren't in!

Oh yes! easy win in his debut. A 68 is a star sf, isn't it? No? Well, nevermind, I know he can do it. let's put him straight in a stakes race. He comes home with cash; yes this is the one. The horse that will make me famous. I don't care that he's struggling at a mile, this will be my Triple Crown horse one day!

And so it was that Joliet was my first good horse, or at least my first potentially good one. He had a mediocre career, and he never earned back his price (which was waaaay more than the 10K you see on his charts). What better way for a swan song than the last of the Triple Crown jewels, in what will be his last year to race? Okay; he's a miler, maybe a short router. okay, he's 5. Okay, he's barely won anything, let alone a stake race. Okay, he's not even nominated for the TC. I don't care. I love him, and he deserves a shot at lasting fame. So we pack him up, and take him to Long island....Once everyone sees him, they'll see what I see, and they'll give him a shot. Shoot, just stick him in an outside stall and let him have his day! Oh wait, I forgot to ship him...and to try and bribe the Steward for an entry for him with lots of pictures of cute little kitties wearing socks...oh well, maybe I can get him into the Gold Cup...I can remember to get him to NY by then. Now, where did I put those kittens? And how will I get them to put the socks on?
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Okay, why should I win? Because:

Can't you see I'm really a nice person, no matter what Skippy says?
Letting me win would really encourage the newer players to join the island.
I really, really need the money. Promise I won't buy a bunch of losers with it.
Now is the time for another girl to win Simvivor. We can't let the boys think they can win this.
There is not good reason for me not to win it.
Of course, if I win I'll remember all those who helped me along my way...
No one wants to play against me next time, I'm that brilliant. Help them out.

Somehow, I've managed to squeak through so many challenges and battles, I deserve something.
Unless I'm mistaken, I've been pretty nice to most people through the sim games.
Clinton doesn't need the money, and we all know the fame will go to his head.
Keep me off the island in future years with a win; my family will thank you.
See? You really do want me to win it? Don't you?

Oh, and by the way, I'm a master of the subliminal...
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I believe I am all done...let the best player win. And that would be me, in case you were in any doubt.

I'd say something sportsmanlike and nice about Clinton right now, but there's a lot of money at stake so I don't feel like it. I'll say something nice and congratulatory to him later when no one's looking...
:wink:
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Mike Eaton »

Good luck to both of you results will be up asap
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,

Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Mike Eaton »

The results....

Chani's challenge- has a good ring to it. And you both picked the same horses! Judge Chani decided to give you both credit, however she asked for a story also and Clinton did not do that. Gigi did. Gigi won Chani's challenge.

Fanta's challenge- I liked both, and Fanta gave the credit to Gigi. She liked hers better.

Mike's challenge- Gigi did great getting a great deal of information and suggestions however, the suggestions were the same as I got last year and I wanted to try getting some new information and but it all in one. So I gave this challenge to Clinton because he did research I would say less but, his answers were different and I really liked them and if I have a season 3 which I am planning on I will try to format similar to his suggestions.

The extra challenge of why you should win- I did not like either really. Clinton you did not talk much about yourself and you sold Gigi. Gigi you sold yourself but you sold it as I am nice and in this game the winner should be heartless and selfish and do what it takes to win. I think because I got more about why Gigi should win, Gigi did get the extra boost.

So this years winner! The wildcard..... GIGI! CONGRATS!!!!!

More info will come for season 3. It will be better, less time, and more vicious.

Stay tuned and give Gigi a pat on the back!
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,

Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

WooHoo!!!!
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

Congrats to GiGi sorry for the lack luster answers for chani's i was just pooped out from work and could not muster enough energy to write anything good about myself. Beside I still had fun. :)
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Lol blast from the past. Vincent sent me the videos he made for this. I never paid ANY attention to this since it had nothing to do with me or the SIM. Then we had a laugh over how he "had to leave" shortly after Mike Eaton trashed him (Page 7). You're saying I could have seen him 6 years before I did!?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG