BNH Contest -- Poll #4

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Vote for up to 3 of your favorites -- can change

Poll ended at 11 years ago

Heart Beats Harder - Stay Awake x Thrown A Wheel
10%
Awesome Stones - Awesome Gift x Big Stones
9%
Slipperywhenwet - Star Signs x Tricky Road
9%
Mass Effect - Gunpowder N Lead x Ahead of the Noise
7%
The Ramen Monster - The Smoke Monster x Enjoy Your Meal
15%
Don Knotts - Black Irish x Iseedeadpeople
13%
Capercaillie - Act Civil Act Now x Adjust Your Focus
9%
Full Frontal - Streakin' Red x Hair Trigger
18%
Orange Pippin - Black Night x Apple Crisp
9%

Total votes: 67

Jeb Clampett
Eclipse Champion

BNH Contest -- Poll #4

Post by Jeb Clampett »

This is the fourth preliminary poll out of five.. Please vote! You can vote for up to 3 entries in each poll and can change your vote at any time.

I've copied peoples' comments on their entries for your convenience. (Sorry, I lost some of the formatting) Please take the time to read over the comments. There are some great names that aren't obvious from just the parents' names. Additional posts are welcome.

Prizes (how we handle ties will depend on number of ties):

1st place: Go on to final poll + 2K GPs + a free breeding to Star Signs + 45K SIM$

2nd place: 2K GPs + a free breeding to Send in the Giants + 40K SIM$

3rd place: 1K GPs + a free breeding to Flame and Smoke + 23K SIM$

(prizes adjusted so that stud fee + SIM$ = 80K for first, 60K for second, 40K for third)
--------------------------------
Comments:

Heart Beats Harder

Stay Awake x Thrown A Wheel (Throne)

'Heart' as I tend to call him is a little sentimental value to me because I named him after my favorite song. I knew I couldn't just name any horse after the verse that had the lyrics 'heart beats harder...', so when I went through SO much trouble to get this guy, I knew it had to be him.

Not to mention, I was at school earlier today and fessed up to my friend that I had an unhealthy addiction to an online horse racing simulation game (she gave me a very strange look after that...) and that I was torn about which horse I would enter in this contest, so I begged for her help. She chose him immediately, and coincidentally, right when she said it, my iPod shuffle decided to take me right to the song he was named after! :D
---------------------------------------
OK, here's my entry for best named horse:

AWESOME STONES
(Awesome Gift x Big Stones)
http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=348507

This is a 1 yr old Chestnut colt named by his breeder, Lee Cara, and presented to me as a gift.

How he got the name is pretty self explanatory; but if he should turn out to be a poor runner, my question is, how do you geld a colt named "Awesome Stones"? :shock: :D
Slipperywhenwet
Star Signs x Tricky Road
http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=349858

I thought of the name because of her dams name Tricky Road so I thought when the road gets wet it becomes slippery. but i thought of another reason too but i wont say what that reason was
--------------------------------------
Well tbh, i kept a few out that were really good like this boy: http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=262798 Mass Effect. If you know the game you know what it is and well its very noisy. Hence the sire with Gunpowder N Lead x Ahead of the Noise combo made perfect sense to me :D
The Ramen Monster By The Smoke Monster out of Enjoy Your Meal, I thought the name was rather fitting, and it works with my ramen obsession :lol:
Don Knotts
Black Irish X Iseedeadpeople (Appaloosa)

Don Knotts was (In my Opinion) one of the greatest actors of all time, (I LOVED HIM!), and Hollywood shall miss him dearly. He always brought a huge smile to my face, and still does. I know him best from the Andy Griffeth Show, which I grew up watching, and for this role I named this colt. His character (Barney Fife), was a scrawny, very hotheaded, all bark and no bite Deputy Sheriff. One of my favorite episodes is about a "haunted" house that was scaring the locals, Barney (Don) decides to do something about it and stakes it out for the night. Of course, unlike Santa Claus, Ghosts aren't real. But Barney isn't convinced of that truth, so when strange, spooky things things start to happen he goes into his classic Don Knotts meltdown that will have you dying of laughter. (To end the suspense :shock: it was just a brunch of grouchy moonshiners :roll: )

When I was watching reruns of that episode recently, I decided to name one of my foals after my favorite actor. What better then to name a colt out of a mare named after something that scared my favorite of his characters the most? Not to mention this colt is pretty small!
How does Black Irish tie into this? Well, I guess he could rival the Irish on how easily he could get drunk in most of movies, usually accidentally. ;)

Hopefully he will live up to his name, he comes from a consistent Stakes/Wow throwing mare.
---------------------------------------------------
Capercaillie
Act Civil Act Now x Adjust Your Focus (Adjust the Lens)

Interesting story with this one. I was revising for my GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) music mock exam and there is this piece called the Skye Waulking Song that we had to examine and it was by a band called Capercaillie. I was trying to focus on the study of the song whilst listening to it but it was just too good to listen to and I was just thinking 'must...do...work!' but I couldn't act upon it. Then I went to the SIM like I do when revising ( :P ) and I looked at my yearlings and the then unnamed Capercaillie and I thought, 'you know what, she's gonna be THE Capercaillie' and turns out she galloped wow, :)
-----------------------------------------------
I have a couple of ASOIF names that I like and one of my favorite names on a foal that turned out to be a claimer (figures, lol). In the end I'll have to give the nod to:

Full Frontal (Streakin' Red x Hair Trigger - Fully Loaded)

Named in recognition of his Fully Loaded damsire and his Streakin' sire, I submit to you Full Frontal. A paint colt that is turning heads! :lol:
----------------------------------------------
ORANGE PIPPIN ( Black Night x Apple Crisp.) http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=340972

Was looking for a nice sounding name for this filly that was associated with 'Apple' (from the dam) and which was also a bit unusual or different in some way. Forget how long it took but eventually was happy with Orange Pippin http://www.orangepippin.com/ It ticked the three boxes and had some additional appeal.
Coincidentally they're also 'Esteemed' (dams sire) in some places. They may be common elsewhere but I had not heard of them before.
"Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly.
"Mind you, my first name is Bad."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)