Gelding World Cup - Trivia Contest Answers & Winners!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Gelding World Cup - Trivia Contest Answers & Winners!

Post by Laura Ferguson »

So, here are the answers. Two of the questions generated additional correct answers, so I gave them credit and expanded the answer.

1. How many geldings have won Triple Crown (US) races? Answer: Vagrant, Apollo, MacBeth II, Old Rosebud, Exterminator, Paul Jones*, Clyde Van Dusen, Funny Cide and Mine That Bird won the Derby (9). Shirley, Don Enrique, Layminister, Buskin, Holiday, Prairie Bayou, Funny Cide won the Preakness (9), Creme Fraiche, Ruler on Ice won the Belmont (2). Answer is 17 - Funny Cide won two of the races. Several players put 19 - Half Time and Old England were both gelded _after_ winning the Preakness. I think some sites list those two as winners, most do not.
2. How many geldings have won the Epsom Derby? Answer: None. Geldings are not allowed to compete.
3. Name the geldings that have won the Hambletonian. Answer: Greyhound, Flirth, Shiaway St. Pat, Vivid Photo, Pinkman (5)
4. What quarter horse gelding was kidnapped, and 10 weeks after being found in a cornfield, won the Los Alamitos Derby? Answer: Town Policy
5. What famous thoroughbred gelding was nicknamed "The Wonder Horse?" Answer: Phar Lap is the correct answer. Exterminator was picked by several players because of a childrens' book called Old Bones: The Wonder Horse. Old Bones was Exterminator's actual nickname, not The Wonder Horse.
6. Which gelding has won the Aintree Grand National three times? Answer: Red Rum
7. Which three famous geldings paraded at Belmont Park on October 15, 1983? Answer: Kelso, Forego and John Henry
8. Name the geldings that are two time winners of the Breeders' Cup Mile. Answer: Da Hoss and Wise Dan
9. What Hall of Fame gelding had a series of pony companions, all named Peanuts, during his retirement?Answer: Exterminator
10. What gelding won at least one race per year at Saratoga for eight consecutive years? Answer: Fourstardave
11. What real life thoroughbred gelding sired a Steward's Cup winner? Answer: I thought of Reraise, but others came up with African Story, Amazombie, Beauty Only, Chautauqua and Lalor. All of those count as correct answers. Chilito stood for one season at stud before being gelded, so he did not count.
12. Name the thoroughbred that won a Breeders' Cup race as a gelding and a Steward's Cup race as a horse?Answer: Buck's Boy
13. What real life thoroughbred gelding went on to win a SIM Steward's Cup race, also as a gelding? Answer:
Dramatic Gold
14. Name the geldings have won SIM triple crown races. Answer: Eastern Westside. King of Jesters and Hogwarts do not count, per the instructions, because they were gelded after a stud career. When they won their Triple Crown races, they were colts.
15. Of all the geldings that have raced in the SIM, who has the most Grade 1 victories?
Answer: Whileaworldsleeps (12)
16. What two geldings have won a Grade 1 race at age 11? Answer: Perfect Moment and Eerily Calm. Players found three others, B. Y. O. B (who I trained but didn't remember he did that, which is kind of embarrassing), All Your Might and Gecko. All of those counted as correct answers.
17. What year was the first Gelding World Cup held? Answer: Year 17
18. In this gelding's only dirt start, he finished second in the Steward's Cup Sprint. Name him. Answer: Havoli Makahikihou. I had to work this gelding's name into the contest somehow.
19. What gelding was the subject of a SIM-wide scavenger hunt, and went on to become a three time Grade 1 winner? Answer: Marmaduke
20. What gelding is tied on the all time list for most wins, and how many wins does he have? Answer: Gecko (33)

Points were:
Tamara Vess 17
Rochelle Zahacy 16
Cleo Patra 15
Eric Deco 15
Lisa Bennert 14
Sten Rino Haakonsen 12
Mark Markson 9

Tamara, you get $100,000 for winning this leg. Just lease a junk horse over to me for $100,000 and you will get your prize money. Congrats

On to the grand prize. Only three players participated in all three legs: Rochelle, Cleo and Lisa.

Lisa had a win, a second and a fifth, for an average of 2.67
Rochelle had a fifth and two seconds, for an average of 3.00
Cleo had a second, a third and an eighth, for 4.33

Lisa gets a free foal out of Hollywood https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=964820
I'll breed the foal (you let me know the sire (assuming the sire isn't booked full), and you can pick name, gender, color, markings - or random), and I will send the foal over to you for $0. Congrats!
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Re: Gelding World Cup - Trivia Contest Answers & Winners!

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Oh, and I thought Winning the pick-your-Trainers part was going to be the highlight of my week 16! :D
Thanks so much for this again Laura, some of These Questions were really tough to figure out and I spent a lot of time researching them- glad that it was worth it in the end :)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Gelding World Cup - Trivia Contest Answers & Winners!

Post by Rochelle Bos »

So close!!

Congrats to the winners
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt