SIM Match Races?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

SIM Match Races?

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I stumbled across this race today: https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=6735

Why do we not have match races these days? I know in real life they are no longer a thing (at least in the US), is that why?
To be clear, I am talking about an arranged race between two champions... Not what happens when only 2 horses happen to enter a regular race.
Let's say, hypothetically, I really want my horse (A) to race someone else's horse (B) head to head... Could I get the owner of Horse B to agree to a sponsored match race? Obviously that would require nobody else entering, but that could probably be arranged.
I don't have a horse I want to do a match race with, I'm just curious and presenting a hypothetical :D
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: SIM Match Races?

Post by Gwayne's World »

Match races are notorious for a horse getting the lead and not relinquishing it.

Still, one every once in awhile might be fun?
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I think the best way to do it would be for the two owners to agree to put up money and the winner takes all.

Right now, my AW Router Soft Eyes keeps getting beat by Gordon. If I thought Soft Eyes was better, I would challenge Todd Lucas to a match race where we each put an agreed upon sum of money on the line. Maybe, Todd wants to entice me to do the race, maybe he puts in twice as much as me.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

I've wondered this, too... I mean, what Gwayne Mike said probably is a factor, but if both owners are willing to take the chance, why not?
Now I never owned a horse whose presence in a matchrace would be of public interest, so I have never tried to start something like this and therefore don't know why it hasn't happened in a longer time. Maybe it's just that no one owning such a horse wants to take the chance since there are so many other lucrative otions throughout the year? Would definitely be entertaining, though. :D
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=684448
This is the most recent one I believe, they still happen, rarely
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I know that Em ran a mock match race between Sidney and Happy Snowman once on dirt. That was fun. I may be biased though because Happy won ;)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚