Talking Bout Records

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andy Gol
Grade 2 Winner

Talking Bout Records

Post by Andy Gol »

So...I have some random comments/questions about records. I realize records are a super unimportant part of the SIM as they come into play like...once a SIM-year maybe...but hey, it's the break and I was thinking about it.

1. Is there any way the SIM could track records separately for male/female races? I am thinking this isn't done in real life racing, but I don't see what the harm would be here. In the SIM, generally, males run faster than the fillies. So if it's possible, it would just add some interesting numbers for people to look at.

2. Has there been any thought to "retiring" old records that seem totally unassailable? Or is the idea that we'll just slowly get faster and faster and the old records will eventually fall even if they were set under different parameters? I don't mean expunging them, I just mean having a "retired records" section that would stand forever as a testament to the quickest of the old-school horses.

So yeah...just random.
Corey Lange
Miler

Re: Talking Bout Records

Post by Corey Lange »

I understand the reasoning of your ideas but I don't see these being super useful. In RL females usually can't run with the males either so I don't understand the reasoning for creating new records for them. The same general idea holds true for the "retiring" although the game is constantly changing and may be a reason that the old records exist, I don't see the benefit of retiring any old records, they're records and should stay that way.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

For about 1/2 a year, Thorn Bird (a filly) held the 1 1/2 mile dirt record, so some fillies CAN run with the big boys, although that was definitely an exception. It would be cool to know if she still held the fastest filly/mare 1 1/2 mile.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Babe Ruth, a filly, still holds the record for fastest 1 3/16 miles on the dirt. Another filly of mine, Shinjitsu, held the record for 4 furlongs on the dirt until Battlestar finally passed it.

Clearly Best, another filly, holds the current record for 1 3/8 miles on the dirt.

As for the records, I'd hate to have asterisk records (fastest in modern time). If Silver Screen Star can top the mile turf record, it's just a matter of which generation can get it done in the other divisions. They'll eventually come down.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Other fillies:

Lookit (4 1/2 furlongs dirt)
Chastize (6 1/2 furlongs turf)
Comestoanend (1 1/16 furlongs all weather)

Edit: As for older records "not counting" or whatever, I look at it this way: Secretariat's Belmont record is insane and I don't see it getting passed anytime soon (or maybe even ever) but nobody thinks we should asterisk it away just because it's a goal that really no horse can hope to achieve.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

Whichever records appear, what chance of an extra column or two showing the year and week or even the date?

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.