One Small Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: One Small Thing

Post by Dan Gordon »

I will repeat my same ask. Can we expand betting somehow? How can you have a horseracing game with such limited betting? How about one featured race each racing day with fixed odds? The current structure won't work because if I bet $5,000 on a horse to win, I will only get back $2.10 because there is nothing else in the pool. Am I on an island with wanting more win betting?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dan Gordon wrote: 4 years ago I will repeat my same ask. Can we expand betting somehow? How can you have a horseracing game with such limited betting? How about one featured race each racing day with fixed odds? The current structure won't work because if I bet $5,000 on a horse to win, I will only get back $2.10 because there is nothing else in the pool. Am I on an island with wanting more win betting?
No you are not, I’ve always thought a good way would be to pick a few good betting races each race and give people like $1000 to bet for free and then people bet their own money on top of that
yeah
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dan Gordon wrote: 4 years ago I will repeat my same ask. Can we expand betting somehow? How can you have a horseracing game with such limited betting? How about one featured race each racing day with fixed odds? The current structure won't work because if I bet $5,000 on a horse to win, I will only get back $2.10 because there is nothing else in the pool. Am I on an island with wanting more win betting?
It's always the #1 thing that gets the boot (and honestly looks like it is about to be the thing getting the boot again....) because it's so hard to drum up interest in what is already there.

Maybe next year we can do some kind of forum contest daily or weekly where we do it on the side for ghost money, not actually in the game, and see if there is interest (there'd have to be some kind of incentive prize).

Someone more mathematically inclined than me would have to run it, but I could provide the prize!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
No you are not, I’ve always thought a good way would be to pick a few good betting races each race and give people like $1000 to bet for free and then people bet their own money on top of that
If anyone wants to bet they can use their own money. The Steward is trying to take money out of the game. Why would she give everyone a free $1000 to possibly make even more money if they win?
Lance Macisaac
Miler

Post by Lance Macisaac »

One of my favourite things about the SIM is that a post called "one small thing" that was posted seven years ago is over 1500 replies and 100 pages long.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Lance Macisaac wrote: 4 years ago One of my favourite things about the SIM is that a post called "one small thing" that was posted seven years ago is over 1500 replies and 100 pages long.
This is, undoubtedly, my least favorite part of the SIM ;-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

This is, undoubtedly, my least favorite part of the SIM ;-)
Because it was truly only intended to be "one small thing" when the Admin was coming for a visit, lol. And then it went dormant and somebody (who shall remain nameless) posted to it again -- and Ms. Steward was not happy! -- and therefore it became active forever more.

:D
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

I imagine Em or the Admin have the ability to delete the entire thing, block postings to it, and only make it active whenever the Admin is coming to do updates again. On the other hand, we're all now so accustomed to using it, that there will be weaning issues if it's taken away now!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

We would never take it away..... my post was meant in jest, hence the winking face.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Perhaps the thread should be renamed "One Million Small Things"
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Diane Townsend wrote: 4 years ago Perhaps the thread should be renamed "One Million Small Things"
YES!!!!!!
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

And Danny Derby will gift 1,000 game points to the person who posts the one millionth request? :lol:
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I don't understand why week 16 does not have day 6 races. I don't see any reasonable reason for it. Why can't the week be finished with the one last day of races? Day 3 and day 6 for me are by far my best and biggest race days. And one gets lost for what? I don't understand what possible purpose that serves. Not to mention the entering nightmare it creates starting the new year. Horses from last week that I deemed needed a 3 week break will now get 4 weeks and everything that raced today automatically get 3 weeks. Not ideal.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Dumb question: what's the purpose of the Random Slide? A lesson in humility or a mimic of real life?
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

If breeding were predictable, would any of this be any fun? :P
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.