One Small Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

One Small Thing

Post by The Steward »

The SIMHorseRacing programming team is getting together this weekend (aka my dad is stopping by for a quick visit) and we will have time to make "one small thing." Would love to have a bunch of input on what small thing we should make... obviously one small thing is not "Make an iPhone app" or "I want lease auctions." It's more like a new filter, a new search, a new stat, something that makes navigation easier, etc. Talk it up!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Re: One Small Thing

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Just crossed my mind today, entering some scrubs for Friday...

From the "Find horses for this race" view, it would be great if there was a field (for Simperiors, since this is Simperior only in the Racing Barn page) that indicated when the horse last ran.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

Runners only and Non-Runners only sort in search! (just like maiden, winner, stakes winner section, only added whether the horse has even started in a race)

Did that make sense?

It would make my CAM research life SO much easier. :P
Last edited by Kyasuriin Matsumoto 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Gateway Farms
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

I vote for autopopulating the notes field with training (gallop comments specifically, with corresponding season/week noted instead of date) and horse whisperer comments so you don't have add them manually when you gallop the horse or ask the whisperer about weather preference.

ETA: Also autopopulating hypomating grades in the notes field....and autopopulating anything else I'm forgetting to add here because I'm too lazy to edit this post again.
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

While I think Paul and Kevin's suggestions would be more helpful to more people than my request, I am putting this out there in hopes that it ends up on the "someday-to-do-list."

I would love the ability to control when a horse moves from the Training Barn to the Racing Barn, rather than having all the horses move at the start of the SIM year. This would allow owners to seperate horses that are ready to run from the ones that still need to be schooled or are still being worked to determine that ever-challenging second piece of equipment!
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I'd rather NOT have the notes field auto-populated, at least not unless we all discussed what we wanted to automatically appear. As it is I have a special, space saving format in a specific order and having to have the entire gallop message or whatever appear automatically would be really annoying and confusing.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

1. Being able to sort workouts by time/equipment/distance on a horse's page.

2. Be able to sell bred mares.

3. List the amount of entries in a race in it's title (much like the "Race Full" tag). That way it's easier to enter smaller races or find unfilled races.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Ara Davies wrote:I'd rather NOT have the notes field auto-populated, at least not unless we all discussed what we wanted to automatically appear.
As much info as possible would be my preference, I don't care how it's formatted. The more clicks and cut and paste jobs eliminated, the better.

Since this is a suggestion box thread I'd also donate 35 million dollars to a voter initiative campaign to kill off those abominable "do you really want to workout your horse?" click boxes that make working out a class of horses take twice as long as it otherwise would.

Also, I want sharks with laser beams.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

How about a page that shows ALL the workouts for all horses we own for the entire year. Sometimes I want to see which of my yearlings has had the fastest works for the year or whatever and being able only to check them week by week is really frustrating. Filterable (age, gender, and surf/dist preference) and sortable of course. Also if there could be a column for equipment there it would be really useful.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Kris Krueger
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kris Krueger »

I would like to be able to change the ship date for an individual horse, just for that race.. so I don't forget to ship early if the race is overseas etc. Then revert back to the default ship date prior to the next race.
Last edited by Kris Krueger 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Frances Krell
Turf Router

Post by Frances Krell »

Julie Kluesener wrote:3. List the amount of entries in a race in it's title (much like the "Race Full" tag). That way it's easier to enter smaller races or find unfilled races.
I second this!
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Matt Feldman wrote: I would love the ability to control when a horse moves from the Training Barn to the Racing Barn, rather than having all the horses move at the start of the SIM year. This would allow owners to seperate horses that are ready to run from the ones that still need to be schooled or are still being worked to determine that ever-challenging second piece of equipment!
I am totally behind this as well. Right now I can effectively do this by leaving 2yo horses "unspecified", and entering each category or juveniles (turf sprinters, etc) on its own. But once they hit 3 and especially 4 and up, this is usually more cumbersome than necessary.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

I'd like a filter for track conditions.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Also this isn't a very easy thing, but it'd be nice to allow the option for notes to go public. That way when you put a horse up for sale people will know equipment, gallop comments, hypo notes, etc.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

The Steward wrote: obviously one small thing is not "I want lease auctions."
Bugger!!! that broodmare lease page is still waiting.

Suggestions?

1. The 'contact us' page to add the message in our messages, when logged into the game.
2. Search page. When searching by owner, the breeder to be displayed in the results list.

thanks.

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.