One Small Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: One Small Thing

Post by Darcy McBride »

I'm no expert on Chasers. I own, um, 3 whole Chasers. But if I was a big Chaser runner, I would love to have my Chasers have their own stats, separate from the TB flat racers. At least that way, you can compare your apples to other apples, and your oranges to other oranges, so to speak.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

In that case have them divided in the same way STB's are. TB flat, TB chaser. They are TB's, they are not another breed.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago In that case have them divided in the same way STB's are. TB flat, TB chaser. They are TB's, they are not another breed.
I’m fine with this.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago In that case have them divided in the same way STB's are. TB flat, TB chaser. They are TB's, they are not another breed.
Sounds good to me, they can even have a TB chaser trainer if the year award since everything else has its own award
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

What about those who breed for Dual purpose? I have a Chase Freak that is also an Allowance TR...I wouldn’t mind if her flat results count towards my flat and chase towards my chase.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago
What about those who breed for Dual purpose? I have a Chase Freak that is also an Allowance TR...I wouldn’t mind if her flat results count towards my flat and chase towards my chase.
I would think the coding would take care of that. Similar to how a horse changes owners, you still keep the stats when you owned the horse.

So like you race it as a turf route. Get a stakes win.
Then convert to chaser. Get a stakes win. I would think the coding would be set up to keep the history and preserve The stats separately.

I’m not Admin, but not sure why they could not set it up that way if they decide to do this in the first place.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago
I would think the coding would take care of that. Similar to how a horse changes owners, you still keep the stats when you owned the horse.

Then convert to chaser. Get a stakes win. I would think the coding would be set up to keep the history and preserve The stats separately.

I’m not Admin, but not sure why they could not set it up that way if they decide to do this in the first place.
You just argued my point 😉 Dave is saying they should be made separate “breeds”. Making it so myself (and others) wouldn’t be able to breed dual purpose chasers anymore. That they would be only chasers from birth. I’m 100% for chaser and flat stats being separated
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Not sure coding of stats to be kept separately in the owners history (flat vs chase) would have anything to do with how a horse is born.

If a horse is born a TB (flat) and can later be permanently converted to a TB (chase), then the horse can still be considered a TB. It just has a different coding in terms of storing the stats of the horse between flat vs chase.

I didn’t negate the point of separating the stats. I agree that should definitely be kept desperate.

I think Dave is concerned for the horse itself not being labeled as a TB when his point is that it really is a TB. Even
Though it doesn’t run right (awkward) and likes to jump things it’s still a TB.

Fine keep it a TB, just place coding in the game to separate the stats when converted to a chaser.

I’m not a coder so not sure how any of this would be done, but I would assume a separate breed can be created and only used when the actual conversion happens. So all TB are born TB (flat) and later the breed is changed permanently to TB (chaser) when converted. However coding placed in game holds the previous TB stats separate in the history of owner and horse.

Does that make more sense?
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

I recently bought a steeple chaser so I was curious as to who the top chasers were so I could compare. I mentioned this in the chat but there is no ranking for steeplechasers on the horse rankings page. I would have to go down the list of all the thoroughbreds to find the chasers. I think they should have separate stats. they aren't different breeds but they don't race in the same races just like standardbreds who have pacers and trotters same breed but race with different gaits (what if we could train a trotter to pace and vice versa lol I'm kidding) I would at least like to see a rankings page for chasers so I can see who the top active points leaders are.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

You just argued my point 😉 Dave is saying they should be made separate “breeds”. Making it so myself (and others) wouldn’t be able to breed dual purpose chasers anymore. That they would be only chasers from birth. I’m 100% for chaser and flat stats being separated
Not separate breeds. That has been my point all along. They are TB. But you can't have it both ways. If they are separate stats then they have to be completely separate. Flat horses would be flat and chasers would be chasers just like trotters and pacers. As Pete said flat horses don't jump :)

You don't have dual purpose pacers and trotters.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago

But you can't have it both ways. If they are separate stats then they have to be completely separate.
I don't think that's true. Nevertheless, I think a good compromise to this all could be making it so you can view your individual chaser stats but when you look at Thoroughbred stats chasers are still included.
yeah
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago

But you can't have it both ways. If they are separate stats then they have to be completely separate.
I don't think that's true. Nevertheless, I think a good compromise to this all could be making it so you can view your individual chaser stats but when you look at Thoroughbred stats chasers are still included.
I disagree. If admin/steward decide to separate them, then separate them correctly. Not half way.
I would rather see my true “TB flat” stats separate then my “TB chase” stats.

Same when I vote for simmys. I would rather vote for chaser simmys only looking at “TB chaser” and vote for my “TB flat” race simmys only looking at flat race TB stats.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago Are people really bothered by their TB rankings? Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely wondering. Taking away dual purpose TBs doesn’t seem like a fun way to go.
Yes simmys are a big deal to some and being able to have a better picture as to what we are voting has been needed for the longest time.

And as I stated above, it could be possible to simply separate the stats categorically based on the horse type vs the breed.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago I made a suggestion after that comment for my “one small thing”, that that I’m more interesting in getting an answer to. I think this TB convo needs to be moved off this thread at this point, no?
I feel like we are having a good conversation on point for this thread. If admins want to answer your idea (or mine) they’ll see it - they read everything on here.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago I just thought of another suggestion. For TB studs - is there any way to have a separation of Stewardbreds from playerbreds for the offspring gallop results?
To get around this, I personally ignore the freak percentage and use % stakes and alw. More often then not, the freaks are stew-breds and the stallion's percentages are sometimes otherwise pretty average. If I'm still unsure, it's usually pretty easy to go through the top earning offspring and figure out what's what. Mind you, this wouldn't work in, say, DRs because freaks are way more common than in, say, TS, but it's what I do...
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.