One Small Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: One Small Thing

Post by Craig Mcgee »

I have found that when I pension a horse I can release their name and still give them a post racing career in my pasture. Now if I release their name and send to AJ then they do perish.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Pepper Carol wrote: 2 years ago nope, I dont agree with the above. A name on your own horse whether racing retired alive or dead should belong to the person owning the horse. theres no reason you cant PM a player and ask for the name anytime you want but at least its the owners perogative.
Agree with Pepper to the extent the horse is alive and in your barn. I think this idea was discussed before several months ago and largely shot down. I have no problem with horses in AJ being fair game, as well as horses that are deceased that have less than $200k in earnings.

Right now, like many things in the SIM, there's a GP option and a non-GP option for reserving names. If there is a decision to change the rules so that going forward, an unnamed pensioned horse can't be renamed, I'm not necessarily opposed to that. But I'm really opposed to someone being able to do something to a horse that you own that is in your barn without your consent or permission.

Like Pepper said, you can always message a player and ask. I've done that, and other players have asked me, and depending on the name, I've either released it to them, or explained why I'm holding onto it for the right yearling.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago
Pepper Carol wrote: 2 years ago nope, I dont agree with the above. A name on your own horse whether racing retired alive or dead should belong to the person owning the horse. theres no reason you cant PM a player and ask for the name anytime you want but at least its the owners perogative.
Agree with Pepper to the extent the horse is alive and in your barn. I think this idea was discussed before several months ago and largely shot down. I have no problem with horses in AJ being fair game, as well as horses that are deceased that have less than $200k in earnings.

Right now, like many things in the SIM, there's a GP option and a non-GP option for reserving names. If there is a decision to change the rules so that going forward, an unnamed pensioned horse can't be renamed, I'm not necessarily opposed to that. But I'm really opposed to someone being able to do something to a horse that you own that is in your barn without your consent or permission.

Like Pepper said, you can always message a player and ask. I've done that, and other players have asked me, and depending on the name, I've either released it to them, or explained why I'm holding onto it for the right yearling.
They're not actually doing anything to the horse in your barn. Let's say your horse is named Snowball, and he's a 19 year old gelding who hasn't started since Year 40 something with $300 in earnings. Another player takes the name, and Snowball gets a I added to the end of his name thus becoming Snowball I. Keep in mind that the I isn't his new name, just a designation - he's still the same old Snowball, safe and secure in your barn.

If you're holding on to a name for a particular horse that really should be done through the Reserve A Name feature. Using the pension barn for this purpose removes an income source for the game, and keeps far more names tied up than would be otherwise.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Danny Derby wrote: 2 years ago

They're not actually doing anything to the horse in your barn. Let's say your horse is named Snowball, and he's a 19 year old gelding who hasn't started since Year 40 something with $300 in earnings. Another player takes the name, and Snowball gets a I added to the end of his name thus becoming Snowball I. Keep in mind that the I isn't his new name, just a designation - he's still the same old Snowball, safe and secure in your barn.

If you're holding on to a name for a particular horse that really should be done through the Reserve A Name feature. Using the pension barn for this purpose removes an income source for the game, and keeps far more names tied up than would be otherwise.
Well, then there should be a change to rules saying that's the ONLY way to Reserve a Name, and then there should be a period of time to allow players to switch over to that for any horses they want to handle that way before that change goes into effect. Not sure why this one item has to only be a GP feature, and not allow a GP feature and a non-GP feature to get to the same place, when just about everything else has a GP option and a non-GP option.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Danny Derby wrote: 2 years ago

Well, then there should be a change to rules saying that's the ONLY way to Reserve a Name, and then there should be a period of time to allow players to switch over to that for any horses they want to handle that way before that change goes into effect. Not sure why this one item has to only be a GP feature, and not allow a GP feature and a non-GP feature to get to the same place, when just about everything else has a GP option and a non-GP option.
I don't think it would require a rules change since I don't think the pension barn was ever intended to be the name reservation barn (Steward feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that). I wouldn't see any issue with a grace period though - people who already have the name should definitely get first crack at reserving them.

It's less of a GP and non-GP option thing for me. It's just the simple reality that there's nearly 1.4 million horses in the Sim. With that many horses and names in use, I don't believe it's sustainable for a name to be tied up for the entire lifetime of a horse before it can be used, nor do I think that just because someone used the name once that they should own it exclusively until the end of time. Is this the biggest issue facing the game? Hardly. Is it something that I think is a small-ish fix that would have a positive impact in the long run? Absolutely.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Right now, if you own a pensioned horse, only you can release the name. That is the rule that would need to change.

I'm also going to note that out of the 1.4 million horses in the SIM, only 384,229 are actually alive. So, there's already a significant number of dead horses to get names from.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Any chance a Drop Down can be added for "improve" so we can use drop down for Bloomer, Progressive, Peak and UNK if that exists?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Not going to lie, it's annoying seeing people hoard horses for names, especially when you find that perfectly fitting name but the horse who holds it is a 3yo pensioner just chilling in someone's barn. Yes I could message the owner but it's the same deal as with messaging people about stud breedings, why should I be forced to do so?
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago Not going to lie, it's annoying seeing people hoard horses for names, especially when you find that perfectly fitting name but the horse who holds it is a 3yo pensioner just chilling in someone's barn. Yes I could message the owner but it's the same deal as with messaging people about stud breedings, why should I be forced to do so?
Because they own the horse and not you?
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago Not going to lie, it's annoying seeing people hoard horses for names, especially when you find that perfectly fitting name but the horse who holds it is a 3yo pensioner just chilling in someone's barn. Yes I could message the owner but it's the same deal as with messaging people about stud breedings, why should I be forced to do so?
Agree with Rochelle, the owner has the rights to the name, don’t think it should be released or eligible for release just because they are pensioned.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

As someone who is absolutely fully guilty of using pensioned horses to save names, I don’t think it’s great that there’s a way to circumvent what is meant to be a game point feature.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

On the flip side, why should someone be forced to give up a name, simply because you want it? Maybe six other people would also like the name, and so under this proposed change, you _still_ wouldn't have the name because one of them beat you to it and used the name on a yearling. I'll also note that sometimes I've purchased a horse at auction because of the name and paid a premium for it; i.e., the horse is crappy, but the name is cool, and the price I paid reflects the name, not the horse's ability. I'm not the only player who has done that.

Again, it is currently within the rules to do this. Is it really any better for you, other than perhaps to the game from a GP perspective, if I have the name in reserved names instead of on a pensioned horse, and therefore equally unavailable to you (and frankly, less available to you than under the current system, because no way am I giving up a name I paid GPs for)? I'm okay with the current system, and asking/have been asked, but if the Steward decides to change the rules, as long as there's a transition period before the rule change goes into effect, I'll live with it. I reuse a bunch of names from my pensioned horses when it comes time to actually name my 2yo routers Week 9 - I'd speed that process up (grumpily) and reserve the others I really care about. I imagine there are other players who would do the same thing.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago
They're not doing anything to the horse though. I honestly feel there's a major disconnect here between owning a horse versus owning the rights to a name forever. It's not the same thing.

Anyways, I've made all my feelings clear on this subject and don't think there's anything else I can add. Agree or disagree as you will.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Also even if there is a rule change, I can still stick the name on a crappy yearling, and as long as I don't pension said yearling, I can hold onto that name for 19+ SIM years for the price of paying the day rate, and either pension/release or pay the $5k to rename when I'm ready to actually re-use it. So, even under this proposed change, there's still a way to "reserve" a name without paying the GPs.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I would love to be able to select a bunch of horses that I'd get "alerts" on if the race I entered them in gets past being filled (more than 5 horses)

Also still wishing for a "ship to home or closest barn" that would legit save me hours :lol:
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~