SB Auction 02-04-15 Gallop Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Re: SB Auction 02-04-15 Gallop Thread

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

I lucked out and got Crime (wow gallop, 2 pieces of equipment). There were three others I wanted more but went out of my price range before the auction closed.

Boy, I still remember the days when a TBS horse could make a newbie stable and were rarely pinhooked. Makes it really hard for the $2M and under bankroll stables to get a TBS horse, which is a shame IMO. Do I dislike pinhooking? Yes. Should it be banned? No. But something needs to be tweaked so that one stable doesn't end up with multiple horses from the same auction. That or allow each stable to win more than one horse in the auction format. Lots of cash could be drawn out if the top tier bankrolls bid up the top draws with the potential of winning 2 horses. Seems many of those horses are ending up in the big pocket stables, but it would cut out the middleman and potentially eliminate some real cash from the game instead of recycling it into another player's account. Just a thought....
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I have previously ended up with multiple horses from the same sale. Usually it's because I buy one and then I buy others as they appear on the sales page. When it comes to the sales page, I think any horse is fair game regardless of where they come from. It's very rare for me to win one and then make another direct offer though.

At any rate, I think it's fine to end up with multiple horses from the sale so long as there was no prearranging, which is the thing that is against the rules.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Anzu Mccann
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Anzu Mccann »

Barring Summers baby this auction was a bore, 2 year old in training is the most interesting one this year.
James Lee and Owen, two G1 winning turf routers 30k and 15k
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Lisa Strummer wrote:
Pepper Carol wrote:Should I EVER get a Stew Auction horse EVER again (hope, hope), I will assume other people bid on it too, and I reserve the right to do WHATEVER I want with it afterwards. Just saying . . .

Let me be clear, I have no problem with players pinhooking their TBS purchases. I just think the practice of one player picking up multiple pinhooks from a TBS sale should be watched closely.
I don't have an issue with the resale market. I just think it is incredibly shortsighted to sell what are - and always will be - the nicest racing stock in the game. Only Steward-breds I've ever parted with were more for spiteful reasons than profit.
Last edited by John Slotmon 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

Ahhh...the sweet smell of capitalism!

You have a good or service...there's demand for that good or service, so sell for whatever the market will bear.

There's no "middle class economics" in the SIM

Tyler Anthony
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Tyler Anthony »

There was an auction?
I'll have to catch the next one.
If winning isn't everything, then why do we keep score? - Vince Lombardi
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: There's no "middle class economics" in the SIM
Not to take this thread off-topic, but this would be an excellent conversation for the long break!
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000
Kevin Rivers
Miler

Post by Kevin Rivers »

I've enjoyed pinhooking ALL my steward bred purchases no matter what the gallop is. Athough this was my first scary pinhook, this has helped me experience with new breeds of horses much more. And maybe with the profit I can someday buy that BIG horse from a steward bred Auction that I just won't sell. Or just keep trying new breeds myself.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Personally I have bought 4 SB's, kept 2 and Pinhooked 2. I used the proceeds from the Pinhooks to fund the 2 I kept. This auction I bought (and will keep) Dark Magique who galloped "Stakes"
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

well I buy as many stew breds as I can I will buy till I have nothing left , and yes I buy off the same people all the time if I can , why because they know I will buy ANY DS they get and will pay top buck most times near double what they bought it for so if your a pinhooker and know someone will give you double would you not buy what they like????

if you call that shady so be it but they make 100 percent profit and if someone wants to offer them more then I do so be it I offer my top amount the first time and I don't go higher , you may ask what does the pinhooker get well a lot of them get to have all there breeding paid for off the pinhook!

As for 3k'ing in the last minute yeah it sucks balls that is why I jump my bids by millions to make sure I get the one I want.
Someone said maybe even EM bid the most your willing to pay for the horse and I always do , this sale is a perfect example Hero was my first choice and Laura and I had slugged it out in the last min he went from 5 mill to 9.5 the fun thing was it was like a chess game he was sitting around 5.6 so I timed my bid of 8.3 for last 4 secs but Laura jumped even higher and went to the 9.5 am I mad no not at all I bid my top amount!
Dusty Klatt
Classic Contender

Post by Dusty Klatt »

I would love to see an entire stew auction with all blind bids. Maybe make it 5 bids max per player, and if you win multiple bids it goes to horse you had highest amount of money on. It would be cool to see some horses have ridiculously high numbers for and maybe others sneak by at a lower amount to give a newer player a shot or a savvy veteran.

I think this game is incredible and auctions are awesome but would love to see the steward change it up occasionally
Trastevere Peru
Miler

Post by Trastevere Peru »

I'm in the game since August 2013 and is the first time I got a bred stewie.
Sure would keep her but I need to stabilize and grow my stable, buy stallions, mares, farm etc. that's why I consider to auction her a good strategy
I'm sure that I'm in the rules, I hope to be in keeping with the spirit of the game
Anyway let me know...
Happy Acting Turf Sprinter 20,000
Dressed in Suits Turf Sprinter 10,000

¨Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus¨
Umberto Eco