How are you using the new barns?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: How are you using the new barns?

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Current custom barns I have created:

TB Main Racing
For my active non-claimer racing TB horses that are equipped, race eligible and ready to enter.

Mixer Main Racing

For my active non-claimer racing mixer horses that are equipped, race eligible and ready to enter.

TB Claim Racing
For my active claimer racing TB horses that are equipped, race eligible and ready to enter.

Mixer Claim Racing
For my active claimer racing mixer horses that are equipped, race eligible and ready to enter.

Waiting For Races
For my 2yo mid/route distance horses that don't yet have carded races.

TB Alt Barn
For my TB horses that are old enough to race, but still need equip.

Mixer Alt Barn
For my mixer horses that are old enough to race, but still need equipment.

Need To Improve
For the horses that are not worthy per my standards to waste my time racing and will sit up to age 4 and either improve or get pensioned.

Lease To New Players
Self explanatory

Horses To Sell
Self explanatory
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I like the new barns. What I don't like is that say you make a custom barn for your bad 2yr olds and up they still show up in your main racing barn. So you either have to make yet another barn for your "good" runners or deal with the whole lot of them in your Main barn as you try and enter horses. If I want them in the "You are a POS"racing barn I don't want to have them anywhere else.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

At this point if you have the option to make a custom barn you should not be using your main barn.

The racing barn holds "All" of your active race horses regardless of breed distance gallop ect.

It is a game created smart barn.

You will need to make a custom barn, call it main racing barn and move the ones there you want to see. Only real way you can do it at this point.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

I'm still not completely 100% sure on this, but I'm assuming that the 15k GP price is for the use of unlimited custom AND smart barns? I'm seeing conflicting posts that the payment was only towards one type of barn or the other, or that you got a set amount (2?) of barns before you had to pay. Maybe someone can clear this up?
There have been some inaccurate posts about this. If you read the first post in the announcement thread, it should clear it up.

15k GPs gets you 20 weeks of use of unlimited Custom Barns. A SmartBarn is a type of Custom Barn. Without the Custom Barn subscription, you have original 5 barn (racing, breeding, training, pasture, cemetery). Those barns happen to be SmartBarns as they include horses automatically.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Admin wrote:
I'm still not completely 100% sure on this, but I'm assuming that the 15k GP price is for the use of unlimited custom AND smart barns? I'm seeing conflicting posts that the payment was only towards one type of barn or the other, or that you got a set amount (2?) of barns before you had to pay. Maybe someone can clear this up?
There have been some inaccurate posts about this. If you read the first post in the announcement thread, it should clear it up.

15k GPs gets you 20 weeks of use of unlimited Custom Barns. A SmartBarn is a type of Custom Barn. Without the Custom Barn subscription, you have original 5 barn (racing, breeding, training, pasture, cemetery). Those barns happen to be SmartBarns as they include horses automatically.
Thanks for clearing that up. I think the confusion came from the originals now being called SmartBarns, but creating SmartBarns were considered Custom Barns.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The way i undersrand it that the any barn that automatically houses a certain type of horse based on pre-determined criteria is considered a smart barn.

The "racing barn" has criteria set to all breeds, non retired, non pension, alive, 2yo or greater so it will house all of that type.

Once your horse is retired, pensioned, deceased, it wI'll move out of the racing barn on its own and into the pension, breeding, or cemetery barn.

So all players regardless if they pay or not will have 6 smart barns.

All horses
Training barn
Racing barn
Breeding barn
Pasture
Cemetery

If you pay the 15k, you get unlimired custom barns which can be either "smart" or "non-smart" depending on what you want to create.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Yeah, I'm enjoying this, maybe most of all the simple things like being able to rename the barns and choose which stats are shown on the main page, plus being able to send horses to different barns from their own horse pages.
I haven't played too much with making SmartBarns yet, as I have a pretty small and specialized barn compared to many others, but the ability to have them when i need them is nice. I admit a bit of initial sticker shock for that reason, but really 15 bucks a sim year isn't much no matter what.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I just created a barn "To Be Nominated" for horses that I plan on nominating to the Steward's Cup (and hopefully eventually to the Triple Crown)
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

for racers I have:
The Special Barn (stakes and freaks); the chasers barn; the claimer barn; the Texas Bred barn

for those in training: the claiming/solid barn and the "better horses" barn - which is productives and better; once we get to doing works this will likely be subdivided into vet equip and training equip

I have yet to do anything in the breeding barn, but will likely set those up over the next few weeks
I'm just here for the fun of it
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

So with the previous settings in the racing barn I would separate horses actively racing from horses in training/not racing and in the training barn I separated horses with known equipment from unknown equipment. I still have those separations but am now trying to think of more. One thing I just did that I really like is making a separate barn for my Tuesday/Thursday horses. I could also presumably make a separate barn for paints vs thoroughbreds but it is easy enough for me to just filter one or the other that I haven't done this yet.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

These will be so handy when I start equipping my yearlings. Which should start tomorrow once I gift myself some GP's for Christmas!!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I just want to say that I love my custom barns. The level of organization makes entering a large number of horses so much easier, and exercising various groups so much easier.