Curiosity: Horses Who've Changed Gallop

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Curiosity: Horses Who've Changed Gallop

Post by Rochelle Bos »

As a new player I am super curious about horses who've changed gallop. Mostly who their sires and dams are, and when (age/time of year) their galloped changed.

So maybe this is more a survey? Or a way to track changes? I tried to search the forum to see if someone had already started one of these but I couldn't find one, feel free to set me straight if there is already a post for this! :P

Horse: [Link to page]
Sire:
Dam:
Age at change:
Time of year: [mid or end or other]

New change or old I'd love to hear about them all :)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Masaya Stable
Miler

Re: Curiosity: Horses Who've Changed Gallop

Post by Masaya Stable »

Ask Regina Moore, I think Lifeaholic (R) started as a production and turned into a freak
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Way too many to name, because most aren't anything dramatic (such as going from claimer to solid). But here are three top ones from my barn.

War Lock (turf miler)
Sire: Held High
Dam: Performing Spells (an "unpredictable" mare), by Performing Tricks
Changed 2yo season mid-year, right before his debut. Went from "Hard to tell" (now solid) to "scary good" (would now be a freak)

Lifeaholic (won Trotter Triple Crown)
Sire: Royalty for Life
Dam: Dark Choc (a "formidable" mare), by Chocolatier
Changed yearing season, mid year. Went from "allowance" to "freak"

Chromed Stars (dirt sprinter)
Sire: California Chrome
Dam: Star White (a "formidable" mare), by Onawhitehorse
Changed 2yo season, mid year. Went from "claimer" to "stakes"
Changed 4yo season to "allowance", but don't know if it happened at the beginning of the year or mid year.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I'll add that, by my estimation, about 20% of horses have their gallop change at some point in their careers, but as I say above, it's usually nothing dramatic. And it can be going down a level, rather than up. As you can see from Chromed Stars, above, sometimes a gallop will change more than once for a particular horse.

I believe Laura Ferguson has had bloodlines that were particularly prone to having the gallop improve with age, but she would have to speak to that.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Thanks guys! I find this aspect of the game very fascinating :D
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Horse: Animus (dirt router)
Sire: Can We Be Together
Dam: Hold the Torch
Age at change: 2 (first start) claimer to allowance, and then again at 3 allowance to stakes
Last edited by Ash Tarasin 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I admittedly don't gallop my horses much once they start racing so I'm sure some have changed that I don't know of. Here are how changes have worked for me:

I've only had horses that changed once they were already racing. On one level this makes sense. Before racing my horses only have 3 opportunities to change. I race most of my horses through their 5yo year so they have 7 opportunities to change while racing. That being said I gallop all my horses multiple times before racing so have the opportunity to see all 3 of those change points whereas I gallop very few of my horses that are actively racing yet that is where I'm seeing the changes. Makes me wonder if there is a bias towards changes happening latter or if a lot of what I see is that first race bump.

The changes that I know of have only been single level changes. They go both up or down.

I don't remember all my changes but here are two I do remember:

Jublia - paint middle distance mare. Em Pee Vee - Carpet Premier by Whosyourdaddy. All her preracing gallops were stakes. I galloped her for the first time postracing debut towards the end of her 4yo year and she had moved up to freak. That was also around when she started throwing 90 speed figures.

Dreamland - turf miler. Frankel - Learing to Love by Guinea Saurus Rex. Preracing gallops were all allowance. Galloped him about 1/2 way through his 3yo year and he had moved up to stakes. Galloped him again towards the end of his 5yo year and he was back at allowance. Galloop upgrade was postgelding so not sure if that played a role or not. Counter to that was as a 2yo he won a number of stakes one with an 88 speed figure so he could have potentially changed as early as a late 2yo.

Guinea Saurus Rex is his own interesting story. He was a wings galloper pre racing (so today's productive) and his career debut was a 7th place finish in a maiden race with a 53 speed figure. Next race he won with an 81 and he went on to win over $2 million including 2 steward's cup second place finishes. I never galloped him again after he started but I'm guessing he improved. Very glad I showed more restraint than I normally do and didn't geld him after that first start. Interestingly that same year I had another colt, Kitalpha, out of Guinea Saurus Rex's half sister who started out as a wow galloper and broke his maiden first out with a 78 speed figure. I figured that was my superstar and while he was a nice horse he only managed 2 stakes wins in his career and $400,000 in earnings.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago it's usually nothing dramatic. And it can be going down a level, rather than up.
I agree here, it's not terribly uncommon for my horses to change but it's usually not worth anything. I have three currently who went from stakes to freak, which is what we all secretly hope for I imagine:

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=831969
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=746377
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=773742

Two are still "sad freaks" who can't get SFs out of the 80s.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=832594
Gentle Touch- Deschutes, Reach for the Moon
Solid yearling. Jumped to stakes W9 yearling year. Presumably jumped to freak sometime after, though I never re-galloped her, there's no way she didn't hit that threshold.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=891345
Doctor- Caress, Are Lions Real
Stakes yearling, jumped to freak W9 of yearling year.

Like Tammy, I don't generally gallop horses who are already racing, so chances are I've missed a handful.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Satono Moon-Turf Router
Sire: Satono Diamond
Dam: Moon of Atlantis
Gallop change: Claimer—>Stakes
Time of change: The first gallop as a 2yo during the pre-season

I’ve also had some that have been far less significant and had a few downgrades over the years as well.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

A Harp for Hannah was originally a "wings" gallop. I have no idea what she upgraded to, but she won the F&M dirt mile as a 3 YO, so I would expect she was at least a stakes gallop by mid 3 YO. She was still "wings" week 4 of her 2 YO year.
Sire: AP Mask
Dam: Telling Tales

Black Comet
Sire: Halley's Comet
Dam: Black Tassels
Changed from great gallop to freak, presumably during the break when she became a 2 YO
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

Kickstart My Heart
Sire: Distant Dream
Dam: My Heart of Hearts
Beginning of the year from allowance to stakes. This was a couple of years ago.
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Gibson »

Dubai Touchdown was a "solid" gallop the last time he galloped. I am actually not 100% certain he changed or when but I am assuming he changed.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Regretting was a solid/htt and so I GPed him after gelding him and then somebody's Eohippus improved and I was all 'wait I have a Eo!' but realized I had GPed him so I bought him back and he was stakes lol

Choices went from solid to stakes as a 4 year old
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Just that I can remember off the top of my head, I've had:

Fancy Her Kiss was a "hard to tell". I never galloped her after her first one as a yearling (fitness and equipment from gallops just weren't a thing then), but she went on to win the Louisville Oaks over Maryland Million. Too bad she and her daughters are God-awful broodmares.

Marrakech was an "allowance" gallop less than a week before her debut win with a 90 SF. She won the SC Bunburette six weeks later. No idea when she changed, but was later a "stakes" at age three.

My ultimate one is Through the Ghost. Nearly got rid of him (and probably would get rid of a colt that galloped similar to him now). He was a claimer as a yearling. Then a claimer at two. Then, right before he debuted, a little birdy told me I HAD to re-gallop. He went on to be an undefeated champion juvenile, a very good three-year-old, and one of the top older horses of his crop.

The rest of the changes I've had have all been as they got old and slow and went "down".

ETA: I completely forgot Gambler's Heart. She was an allowance up until at least Year 48, then started popping off 90+ speed figures in allowance races. She is now a stakes at age 5.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!