Curiosity: Horses Who've Changed Gallop

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Curiosity: Horses Who've Changed Gallop

Post by Kaine Saracen »

So, I counted approximately 24 changes that appear to have been publicly noted this Sim season with Derby being the big winner getting six (25%) of those. Compared to the number of active horses in the Sim at this time, I still find it hard to justify keeping the initial low level gallopers.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I wouldn't base anything on what people post in this particular thread, as only a small portion of the SIM population actually post on the forum. The Steward may be better able to post the actual stats, although even those will be skewed low, as lots of horses who might have improved probably get caught up in the annual AJ purge and never get a chance to actually improve.

I had three 3yo TBs and one yearling TB improve from allowance to stakes, and one pacer improve from stakes to freak. There were other changes, too, some up, some down (one allowance 3yo went to productive), but I mostly pay attention to those that jump to freak/stakes.

If you pay attention, there are certain bloodlines, at least with TBs, that are more prone to improving with age. Similarly, most of the improvements come with my A/B string mares, not my C string mares. I think the lesson is to not give up so quickly on your better bred underachievers, or underachievers from certain bloodlines. If you've bred the C string mare on a flyer and the foal is a disappointment, that's probably not going to change.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

Well, I galloped my horses again. No surprises, they still suck. My horses never improve but many have degraded. I want to have a sale but I cannot afford to have one. I have many older horses that cannot compete even in claimers and the change for GP really sucks because they are costing me money in boarding fees. In the past, these horses would be gone by now.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I'm always surprised at how many people choose to gallop their active racehorses to check for improvements that might not even be enough to raise the horse by a visible gallop level. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to mess with the schedule of an active horse... If they've improved (or the opposite) they'll show me on the racetrack. 🤷
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago I'm always surprised at how many people choose to gallop their active racehorses to check for improvements that might not even be enough to raise the horse by a visible gallop level. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to mess with the schedule of an active horse... If they've improved (or the opposite) they'll show me on the racetrack. 🤷
Well, with my horses thar aren't good enough to have a schedule planned it doesn't really matter, so I check most of those- because I'm curious, but also because I might have an option to place one that jumped up in a more lucrative spot I would have otherwise missed out on.
A good example is Kooshaa , who jumped from stakes to freak last year w9. He didn't actually show that on the racetrack and I wouldn't have planned the w16 G1 for him if I didn't know he improved. But of course to each his own :)
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago I'm always surprised at how many people choose to gallop their active racehorses to check for improvements that might not even be enough to raise the horse by a visible gallop level. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to mess with the schedule of an active horse... If they've improved (or the opposite) they'll show me on the racetrack. 🤷
Gallops are part of my actively racing horses' normal training schedule so I'll know sooner or later anyway. I do gallop horses who are not on an active racing schedule as soon as races on 8.6 night are over, though usually to no avail. :)
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

I must state that I did not gallop any of my horses that are currently fit and racing. Most were the wait and see productive and solids. All ages that are not racing FWIW.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I only gallop allowance and below that are current racehorses because they aren't running anyway LOL but I had two older (4yo+) allowance routers turn stakes. I had a 3yo stakes turn allowance though but I galloped her cus she had a huge gap in racing.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Ding. Ding. Ding. Nail, meet the head of the Hammer above.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I only gallop my horses if they are yearlings or in my “Improve?” Barn everyone on the track is too busy 😜
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

Judging by how this allowance galloper, who didn't have a sub 58 workout to his name, managed to pull off an 89 speed figure despite a bad post and falling to his knees at the start, I'm going to guess that he just decided when he got to the track that being a stakes galloping horse was more exciting.

Either that or putting him in a claimer to start up with made his speed play up more than it otherwise would?
I have a stable full of cats
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Courting must have improved because she was a ‘solid’ week 8 of this year and has just ran an 88 first out in open company. I could see that given her pedigree but this is the first time I’ve had a horse improve after their first start.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Regalloped https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1045307 for fitness and was surprised to see that she's upgraded from Stakes to Freak.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago Courting must have improved because she was a ‘solid’ week 8 of this year and has just ran an 88 first out in open company. I could see that given her pedigree but this is the first time I’ve had a horse improve after their first start.
Yup, confirmed ‘Stakes’ today!
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

This one went from allowance to stakes. The 91 caused me to regallop him.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1068254