Really Old SIM Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Really Old SIM Question

Post by Keith Maidlow »

So we started talking about "He who shall not be named" here in the Forum which started me looking at old Forum posts. I started looking at my own posts from close to the beginning of my time here in the SIM and started to read one from 11 years ago called "What's a Horse Worth?" My question was how come many owners consistently put high prices on their horses and how many of those horses actually sell and how many are actually worth the price once all is said and done. I was a newbie at the time and my contention was that if "He who shall not be named" and I had twins on the sales page at the same time and mine was half the price of his, his would sell and mine would not. Funny comment from him was that he'd buy mine and sell it for twice the price.

An example of one of his horses that sold for $1.5 million in Yr 19 was Transonic and everyone came to the conclusion that the breeding and potential made the deal worthwhile. Bottom line the horse made only $136K in his career, only $50K for his new owner, was never put to stud duty and was given to AJ in Yr 22. I'm guessing there are more stories about horses that didn't make their perceived potential then those that exceeded purchase price value.

The general consensus back then and probably today is that value is in the eye of the purchaser.

I am going to keep looking at the past to see if there are any other things that peak my interest and share if you all think that blasts from the past are interesting for you too?
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Re: Really Old SIM Question

Post by Xander Zone »

For me personally I prices on my horses as to what they are worth to me ! I have some stake horses for sale atm some are more the. Some players and some are less then some players , everyone has different goals and values on how and what they put importance on and play style.

When I sell a horse of racing age say like Mika (who looks like an amazing stud atm) I decided he being by a side I already have as a stud In my stable was not worth much value to me , it’s always a risk as some can turn out to be a Look I Am Scary or maybe Mika but I tend to price them by what they may make plus a s
All percantoof what they are worth retired .
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Like you say, a horse is worth as much as you, the owner says it is. That being said, I try to be as realistic as I can with my pricing. The most important question I ask myself is 'would I pay this amount for this horse?'
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Spending 'Funny Money' is part of the game experience.
I recently spent $20K on a whim. A paltry sum here. And something I would never do in real life.
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

I can’t remember the last sim season that I at one point during it I was not sub 50k I spend
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

I felt I deserved more than $1,000 after getting snipped.

(This is a joke stemming from another thread.)
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.